Is Getting a VPN to use Kodi really necessary? How many of you actually use a VPN?

GrimeySkillz

Dec 9, 2014
I'm still new to this whole tv box streaming thing. I have a generic quad core android box. The specs can be found here if interested

Everything seems to be working fine and I can stream content with the addons that were provided by the config wizard from the tvaddons website. However i keep coming across this vpn term, what is vpn and is it really necessary? How many of you currently use a vpn right now? if i've had no issues without does that mean I should continue without using one? Please let me know.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
VPN have two uses.
1 - you can use a VPN if you are geo-blocked on some content that you really want to watch. IE, if you are outside the US and want to watch Hulu. Or in the UK, and Ic*f*lms is blocked, a VPN could you get you through the geo-block.
2 - if you want to watch content from torrents. Torrents are what people could get caught by the authorities but a VPN will hide your real identity. Also if you just want to download from Torrents, that would also be a "must have".

I hardly ever use mine to watch anything, I only use it for Torrents....streaming or downloading.

GrimeySkillz

Dec 9, 2014
VPN have two uses.
1 - you can use a VPN if you are geo-blocked on some content that you really want to watch. IE, if you are outside the US and want to watch Hulu. Or in the UK, and Ic*f*lms is blocked, a VPN could you get you through the geo-block.
2 - if you want to watch content from torrents. Torrents are what people could get caught by the authorities but a VPN will hide your real identity. Also if you just want to download from Torrents, that would also be a "must have".

I hardly ever use mine to watch anything, I only use it for Torrents....streaming or downloading.
Man, thanks so much for the reply, since i rarely use torrents i'm happy to know that i won't be needing a vpn and i can just continue using Kodi like i have. If you don't mind me asking what vpn service do you use? I want to look into it.

itsjustme

Apr 25, 2016
I was thinking about this too. How many people actually use this to view. Another question is can my ISP know what I'm watching? Just curious how it looks to the ISP when Im watching..

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Your ISP will know that there is trafficbut would have no idea what it is without deep packet inspection.
In general that won't be digging into what you are doing.

bigbadbilly

Apr 13, 2015
I've been on the Kodi journey for little more than a year now. I decided to sign up for a VPN a couple of months in because I thought it would give me access to more content due to some of the geo-blocked providers. I only used it for about 2 months and have no immediate desire to go back. First, I found the performance hit noticeable and frequently insufferable. Second, now that i have a Real Debrid account I can't remember the last time I was unable to find a decent stream for whatever I've been wanting to watch at the time.

Smartie38

May 13, 2015
Wouldn't use kodi without a vpn, firstly because I need it living in the uk as lots of sites are blocked and secondly is for privacy. Some have mentioned a performance hit when using a vpn, well I'm with private Internet access and on my pc I still max out my 80mb fibre connection when using the vpn and on my android tv box (minix neo u1) I still get between 50-60mb speeds which is more than enough considering a friend of mine who only had a 5mb connection has no trouble streaming 1080p.

Even without the blocked site issue here in the uk I would still be using a vpn anyway as we are streaming content which we really shouldn't be getting for free!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Since I'm not using torrent type features not am I downloading with any of the addons, I do not use VPN for streaming. Do not feel the need.

Idok Fire

itsjustme

Apr 25, 2016
Wouldn't use kodi without a vpn, firstly because I need it living in the uk as lots of sites are blocked and secondly is for privacy. Some have mentioned a performance hit when using a vpn, well I'm with private Internet access and on my pc I still max out my 80mb fibre connection when using the vpn and on my android tv box (minix neo u1) I still get between 50-60mb speeds which is more than enough considering a friend of mine who only had a 5mb connection has no trouble streaming 1080p.

Even without the blocked site issue here in the uk I would still be using a vpn anyway as we are streaming content which we really shouldn't be getting for free!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
see this is what I am talking about. I think I need it just for piece of mind and know that I am covered..

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
see this is what I am talking about. I think I need it just for piece of mind and know that I am covered..
No one is stopping you. If you feel you should, even if just for piece of mind, then you should. It's about your comfort level. I wish you the best.

Idok Fire

kylepmorris

May 25, 2016
Hi,

I am using Total VPN for torrents downloading and streaming. In my opinion Total VPN is providing good services to their customers and the best part of this VPN is this is very affordable. For more details you can check this Total VPN Review.

Striker10

Jul 4, 2016
Well it depends. If we're talking exclusively for Kodi - most people are streaming and let me be honest...IPTV is seen as the future....so there are invested interests. If you don't use say acestream/sopcast - if you are not uploading, then you might be alright without it. Some people might want it just to feel more privacy. It's up to you

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Here are the list Of Best Kodi VPNs I hope this list Helps
I wouldn't trust those reviews mate !
A vpn is a vpn it will work on any platform not just Kodi specific.
This is just some other blogger trying to make a Kodi fan website.

It's hard to find honest reviews on the web alot of the reviews are biased and have some affiliation with product they are pushing.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I wouldn't trust those reviews mate !
A vpn is a vpn it will work on any platform not just Kodi specific.
This is just some other blogger trying to make a Kodi fan website.
Unless I'm mistaken he is the blogger you say you wouldn't trust :D Look at his other posts, every single one pointing to the same website to get himself more hits!

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Unless I'm mistaken he is the blogger you say you wouldn't trust :D Look at his other posts, every single one pointing to the same website to get himself more hits!
Sure looks like that !
Wonder if we will get a reply.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jonzen

Sep 1, 2015
Never connect anything to the internet without vpn, you never know who is spying on you. I have been accused of being paranoid, but, better safe than sorry. With PIA there is no loss of speed here, with 50mbps connection I test 50mbps connected to vpn.