Is it a waste of time/money to install a VPN if my ISP isnt even bothering me?

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
I've always seen VPNs as a sort of insurance and you don't need it......until you need it which is why its better to be safe than sorry. However of all the years I've spent without one and streaming content I haven't been notified once to stop. If it were a matter of installing something in the background and just forgetting about it I'd be all over it but these things can be timely to ensure they are working properly to do the blocking they are suppose to do. On top of the time/money potentially being wasted you also don't exactly get the same download speeds as you would if you ran clean directly from your ISP rather than filtered through a proxy server, results do vary from paid and free VPN services. At the same time I also acknowledge they can impact your bandwidth if you are downloading too much data in a short time but I don't see how a VPN would solve this issue either, whether they could see what your getting or not data is still data that's massively being downloaded from your address.

Thats my 2 cents.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I think it will all depend on your country. Assuming we are taking about protecting yourself, not using VPN for accessing what you normally can't, I don't feel it is necessary for streaming. But for torrents, I would suggest it.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
VPN are great for getting around content blocking if your ISP and/or country does that... They are also a nice 'insurance wall' between you if you are severing up content like torrents or other P2P files as it makes it exponentially harder for any studio or rights owner to actually identify you... IMO their use diminishes quite a bit for streaming content like that found in most Kodi add-ons as you are simply streaming one way back to you, you are not 'sharing' and if one looks at a VAST (with few if any that deviate) majority of all lawsuits are based on 'illegal distribution' aka uploading or serving the content... This is 'illegal distribution' claim is an easy claim to make with P2P clients because you share as you download and your IP is in clear site for the content provider to see, but with most Kodi add-ons you only download and the only realistic way the content owner could get your ISP was to have access to the server logs from the company hosting the files, so that alone is a HUGE legal roadblock if a content owner was to attempt to sue for watching something at this time...

That isn't to say your ISP might not nuke your account if they get a slew of complaints... And although I find the chance minimal to none, at some point in time there could be a 'sting' where a content provider actually gains control of a hosting site and logs everyone and tries some extortion scheme... This happened way back in the Sat hacking community where the content providers were able to get customer records from businesses they shut down that sold so called 'hacking hardware' and then proceeded to email settlement letters to every customer of that company accusing you of illegal activity even though they had no proof you even received or used the devices for any illegal purposes... In that historical instance they rarely pursued anyone beyond the settle or else letters they sent out, unless they had further proof...

Of course laws vary all over the place by country, and ISP policies vary all over the place as well... A VPN is cheap insurance if you feel it's in your own interest, assuming the VPN actually stands up for you and doesn't flip if they are sued, because regardless of guarantees they are not logging you, when push comes to shove it doesn't take much to flip a switch if they cut a deal to save their own butts... Albeit that would be a very, very, very thing to happen, but it has happened to a few Torrent sites that turned coat over the years and turned over logs in court they claimed they were not keeping...

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
I think it will all depend on your country. Assuming we are taking about protecting yourself, not using VPN for accessing what you normally can't, I don't feel it is necessary for streaming. But for torrents, I would suggest it.
I live in the US, my ISP is AT&T, and I don't share content via torrenting or any other means. Just streaming from the Kodi box and nothing is being blocked when I access any content from anywhere else.

In my case would it be a waste on me?

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
I am in the U.S. as well and only use my vpn when downloading torrents. I use purevpn and take a huge hit on speed. I have a 125 meg connection with comcast and when using my vpn, I am lucky to get 10.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Personally, I do not think it is worth it for streaming. But it really just depends on your comfort level. For me is not worth the extra lag time in the stream.

tom32259

Feb 14, 2016
NE Florida, USA
I am in the U.S. as well and only use my vpn when downloading torrents. I use purevpn and take a huge hit on speed. I have a 125 meg connection with comcast and when using my vpn, I am lucky to get 10.
I had Comcast (xfin) and was downloading at 25-28 mb/s with my service. I used PIA vpn (rated #1 by torrentfreak) and my speed went UP about 10-15 mb/s consistently. I am not promoting them nor do I work for them. I am just sharing my experience. I just came to this form to learn how to add a vpn to my fire tv and sticks. I have a nighthawk 1900 so I may install the vpn on that if there is an easy tutorial.

xbman

Developer
Feb 3, 2013
usa
I live in the US, my ISP is XXXX, and I don't share content via torrenting or any other means. Just streaming from the Kodi box and nothing is being blocked when I access any content from anywhere else.
In my case would it be a waste on me?
I would not worry very much about using a vpn with that isp service, especially for only streaming.
or even for downloading via http or even with kodi... so you don't need no vpn for that service.
.. also.. u probably should edit out your isp now... ex: my isp is xxxx...

But I would take idokfire's advice and still use a vpn for torrents no matter what isp it was.
But like you.. I don't use no torrents anyway.. no thanks.. plenty of other sources out there.

So your good.. watch stuff.. and worry less.. is what I say.
.. not to mention even the crappy low end isps even give a warning first.
.. and your service has Millions.. of money.. I mean subscribers. lol
So stream On Man... and worry less..