Is Kodi on Fire Stick this bad?

jerseymvp

Dec 5, 2015
I just ordered a new Fire Stick on eBay last week that came preloaded with Kodi. I've been toying with it the past few days but growing increasingly frustrated.

I'm mostly interested in streaming sports (NHL and NFL) and movies. I've been using Pho*nix, Spor**dev*l, Genesis, etc... The thing is, I feel like every link I click has about a 10% success rate of actually opening. Most of the time the Fire Stick just seems to try to load it and then just reverts back to the menu to let me click it again or keep scrolling, no error message or anything. Is there something wrong with my setup, making me incompatible, or the links for the streams? Or would I be better off running Kodi on a different system? Seems like the Pi2 might be better or some other alternatives?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Singidunum

Mar 15, 2014
Queens, New York
I just ordered a new Fire Stick on eBay last week that came preloaded with Kodi. ......!
That is your problem, you overpaid for something you should/could do yourself.
Most of pre-loaded stuff need updates, cleaning and/or maintenance. You will need to learn how to do it.
Fire TV Stick is a great thing for less than $40.00 and you probably paid more than that.
I would do a fresh start and load only things that I would like.

May 6, 2012
Nothing to do with the fire stick or even being pre-loaded as they are the same addons in the end. That is the nature of FREE addons for live anything sports or tv shows. I tell people works best as an "On Demand" device live is unreliable and lots of work for developers to maintian

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
I have a FIRE STICK and am AMAZED at how well it does -- even compared to my hard-wired FIRE TV! Then again, I have a strong WIFI signal and an unencumbered signal from my router.

The OP gives so little information about their set-up, it is impossible to comment on his issues.

Under the correct circumstances, the FIRE STICK can work amazingly well to which many will attest.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
I have a FIRE STICK and am AMAZED at how well it does -- even compared to my hard-wired FIRE TV! Then again, I have a strong WIFI signal and an unencumbered signal from my router.

The OP gives so little information about their set-up, it is impossible to comment on his issues.

Under the correct circumstances, the FIRE STICK can work amazingly well to which many will attest.

spot on!

no better satisfaction than installing your kodi yourself.
there is no substitute for a good paid service sky/netflicks etc,so you have to understand this is all free and comes with certain caveats.
once you get your head round that then you will enjoy mucking about with it.
these folk on ebay are just taking money from the lazy and uninterested.kodi is for the enthusiast.
the people that say its a substitute for sky are ultimately lying.
i have 3 firesticks in my house and all work perfectly for tv shows/movies etc.
live sports are harder to find because of there very nature in being live.

Jaspreet.singh2201

Sep 24, 2015
Just make sure your addons are updated and are installed from proper Repos rather than Zips.
Installed from a proper repo they will constantly be updated over the air.
One more thing is geolocks so if your in a Country with strict laws you might wanna look at a VPN service to enable those links.

NHL on Pho*nix needs Java support which doesn't really work on a Android I think so there's that

Dlstv

Dec 2, 2015
Hello tam23

spot on!

no better satisfaction than installing your kodi yourself.
there is no substitute for a good paid service sky/netflicks etc,so you have to understand this is all free and comes with certain caveats.
once you get your head round that then you will enjoy mucking about with it.
these folk on ebay are just taking money from the lazy and uninterested.kodi is for the enthusiast.
the people that say its a substitute for sky are ultimately lying.
i have 3 firesticks in my house and all work perfectly for tv shows/movies etc.
live sports are harder to find because of there very nature in being live.
I think Sky & BT are a dear substitute for Kodi, wonder how many of their customers watched yesterdays 3pm kickoffs :cool:

Or just finished watching 30 mins of "The Good Dinosaur": Special on Sky movies, while kids like my own watched the full film on Kodi last week. :D

Good luck
D

Dipps

Dec 6, 2015
Im so glad iv found this post!

Firstly hi guys, its my first post on the forum! What a great source of help it has been has a lurker iv decided tto join in the fun!

Im running kodi 15.2 on a firestick install via adbfire on my mac.

Iv been trying to access woodys channels on Pho*nix but im unable to locate a new librtmp and i have no idea how to install it on the firestick. Judging by my searching not many people know how to do this either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
You could search for one of supercelerons builds that has the file updated to save any hassle.
Other ways I think it needs to be rooted like all android devices.

I don't have a firestick so I'm not any great help here.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
p
Hello tam23

I think Sky & BT are a dear substitute for Kodi, wonder how many of their customers watched yesterdays 3pm kickoffs :cool:

Or just finished watching 30 mins of "The Good Dinosaur": Special on Sky movies, while kids like my own watched the full film on Kodi last week. :D

Good luck

did you even read what i wrote!
if you think its a substitute for sky etc then its not,its bloody close.
think people think they can get kodi i everything will be great,not always the case.
D
as you will no doubt know i could ryhme off every repo and addon under the sun that you can access via kodi
robocop-premier pass/****** tv/woodys channel/Na*i-X,the list is endless.
also like you mentioned the film about the dinosaur.
unfortunately what we do is frowned upon and highly illegal.
the fact i was pointing out to the original poster was you need to install kodi yourself as relying on a pre packaged ebay wonder stick will not cut it after a week or two.

Last edited:

Dlstv

Dec 2, 2015
Hello tam23

If you typed did you even read what i wrote! within my quote, and it is referring to myself, I can confirm I did read your post, I didn't realise at the time you were pointing something out to the the OP (thread starter), but then again we all read things differently, thats what I like about forums.

Hopefully sopmeone with one or more fire sticks might come along and offer the thread starter a bit more good advice.

Good luck
D

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
'
Hello tam23

If you typed did you even read what i wrote! within my quote, and it is referring to myself, I can confirm I did read your post, I didn't realise at the time you were pointing something out to the the OP (thread starter), but then again we all read things differently, thats what I like about forums.

Hopefully sopmeone with one or more fire sticks might come along and offer the thread starter a bit more good advice.

Good luck
D
was not meaning to offend you mate.been over this many times in several different threads.
i have 3 firesticks running 3 different versions of kodi.
helix 14.2 in my opinion is still the best version.
its kind of frowned upon implying you watch latest release movies etc as however we dress it up its illegal.
been using xbmc/kodi for many years and i am only too willing to help anyone that comes on looking for help,i have been censored many times in the past for pointing people to specific web pages or addons as the feeling on here by the mods is look before you ask.
dont want to get bogged down in any king of slagging match as its not my style.
hope we can put any misunderstanding to bed.
👍

Dlstv

Dec 2, 2015
Hello tam23

My wife would give me a good old Glasgow kiss, if she ever thought I was insulting to one of their fellow country men.

I was a forum owner myself as well as moderating a large forum like this before, I know how stressful things can get, I always personally believed by posting non-related main topic posts in threads like this, helps the thread-starter's topic get noticed, while others might see it as non-related or post building, I've never seen one of these fire sticks before so at the moment I can't offer any advice to the thread-starter, but I'll keep a look out as I google my merry way across the internet. :)

Good luck
D

Singidunum

Mar 15, 2014
Queens, New York
I do have 3 fire TV Sticks )same as Woody) and they work amazingly. All loaded with 15.1 and only very few add-ons on them ESPN YOUTUBE and (sadly, but very soon gone) GENESES.
As I stated in earlier post, O/P should start from beginning.
As long as we all understand that this device is not replace for PPV and live TV, Fire TV Stick is amazing product for $40
Benefit of doing Fresh Start is that once you do it, you will learn how and what
and it will be so easy to see all potential and use Fire TV Stick

jerseymvp

Dec 5, 2015
This is in reply to everybody that responded:

I really appreciate all the feedback. I literally never even heard of Kodi up until a week ago. I bought a new TV that wasn't "Smart" and wanted a Fire Stick to stream Netflix. Started looking into the Fire Stick a bit more and came across the "hacked" ones on eBay. I am usually a DYI kinda guy and know my way well enough around a computer that I could have done whatever this guy was selling myself. But the regular stick was $24.99 and his was $55. For an extra $30 I figured it would be worth saving me from the hassle of trying to figure it out myself... This train of thought seems like a grave sin to most of you but I now understand why.

Blessing in disguise: Today I was fooling around with the Stick and accidentally hit the "Erase Data" button from the Kodi application menu and it wiped me clean, lol. Emailed my eBay guy and he told me I'd have to send it back to him to get everything back on it - wasn't about to do that after reading all your posts. So I spent a couple hours today learning more about Fusion and the repos, installing from zips, etc... I have only the apps I want on the Stick at the moment and it seems to be already much more reliable. Whether there was a bunch of pre-installed junk slowing me down or it wasn't updated, I still don't know but it's much better now.

Huge hockey fan here so I'll be anxiously awaiting an update on a possible workaround for Java so I can watch the games on Pho*nix. Currently using Spor**dev*l but the stream quality is hit or miss. I completely understand how live sports are not as reliable because they are, well, live.

All in all, I'm grateful to have stumbled upon this forum and appreciate all the constructive feedback. Have a great night everybody, I'll see you around :)

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
I do have 3 fire TV Sticks )same as Woody) and they work amazingly. All loaded with 15.1 and only very few add-ons on them ESPN YOUTUBE and (sadly, but very soon gone) GENESES.
As I stated in earlier post, O/P should start from beginning.
As long as we all understand that this device is not replace for PPV and live TV, Fire TV Stick is amazing product for $40
Benefit of doing Fresh Start is that once you do it, you will learn how and what
and it will be so easy to see all potential and use Fire TV Stick
can't agree or reiterate more.
there is plenty to do and see on kodi.there has been no firm update on genesis going away so here is hoping,there are plenty of alternatives like SA*TS etc,Spor**dev*l is very good and as i mentioned the feeds are ropey due to the live nature.its free so i put up with it.
youtube and google plus this forum are you biggest help here,(jerseymvp)couple of weeks and you will be navigating and installing addons like a pro.👍👍

Dlstv

Dec 2, 2015
Hello jerseymvp

I've just read an article on how easy it is to download and install Kodi onto a Fire stick, by simply using the Kodi & Adbfire downloads, then simply finding the IP address to connect to the stick through wifi.

Your method of reinstalling the add-ons, sounds a bit like, how others using the TV-Box need to enter the website address of the Repo's in the Add Files source window.

If so it sounds like you might have done a "Fresh Start" operation by hitting the button, or did you have to "Config" the system first, before reinstalling the repo's.

Good luck
D

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Huge hockey fan here so I'll be anxiously awaiting an update on a possible workaround for Java so I can watch the games on Pho*nix. Currently using Spor**dev*l but the stream quality is hit or miss. I completely understand how live sports are not as reliable because they are, well, live.
Here is a great alternative to Pho*nix NHL. It works the very best on both my Android devices.
http://forums.tvaddons.co/live-sports-on-kodi/38140-nba-nhl-live-hd-streams-plugin.html

Enjoy

hemantx

Sep 9, 2015
Earth
Seems like 3 is the magic number for FireSticks <grin> - I have 3 of them running at my house as well.

When I first started, I went down the custom build road and experienced the difficulties that most people do who have no clue how all this stuff work. However, thanks to the info on this and other forums, I was able to get a little bit of knowledge that has made my viewing experience much better. I'll share it below:

1. Identify which addons you really want and will use. While it may seem great to have every repo and addon under the sun - all that will do is muck up your system and slow it down...especially with a firestick. Personally, we are using SA*TS, Genesis, Pho*nix and have recently added The Ro**l We. There is a bit of overlap here, but each of these addons excels in certain aspects so I use them all. We also use Youtube and SuperCartoons. Finally, we use Spo*ts De*il and Gorilla Streams (and Pho*nix) for sporting events. Every week, I watch American Football to keep up with the local team. I watched Baseball before the end of the season. Some streams were better quality than others, but without fail - I have been able to watch every game (although I have had to change streams during a game more than once).

2. Only get your addons from official repos (you will notice that most if not all of my addons come from TVAddons - no surprise). There are other places that mass-stock repos. I avoid them like the plague after one such repo was modifying one of the addons I use and broke it. If you only get it from official repos, you only get the official REAL updates.

3. I've read all types of info on updating your librtmp file and how it can help with certain streams. This is not the easiest thing for FireStick owners to accomplish because most of us are unable to get root access to the stick. The solution is to locate a version of Kodi that has been updated with the latest librtmp file and install it on the stick...SuperCeleron has a precompiled .APK file online. I can tell you that after I was able to get it installed on one of my sticks - I didn't really notice an improvement over how Spo*ts De*il worked and that the stick itself seems a little less stable than before. It could just be me, but I am not sure it is worth the effort (at least on the FireStick anyway).

4. Skins - some skins work better than others on FireTV Sticks. The ones with all the intense graphics may overwhelm your device. We use Arctic Zephyr (with the menu choices we want/need - it is very easy to configure).

5. Buffering - this CAN be an issue. We found that a few minor adjustments in the AdvancedSettings.xml file along with an account over at real debrid has made this a very minor issue for us.

Finally - all 3 of our sticks use SMB to share files on a PC hard wired to the LAN. We use this same PC for mysql to keep our library consistent across all devices. We have everything listed in Trakt.tv and this also works on all 3 sticks.

Hopefully, this will give someone a little help.