Request Is rooting AFTV really required

cipher

Sep 18, 2014
Is it really necessary to root my AFTV?. I only use it for xbmc and watch movies and shows. What other advantages does it provide? Is there any problems that I could face if I don't root the device? Thanks.

jambo55

Apr 7, 2014
If you only use for xbmc you could keep it not rooted. When rooted though you can mount usb drives for one and other stuff. Do some googling for a better idea. I have mine rooted with the updates blocked and I'm glad I did.

smiffy71

May 7, 2012
I unrooted mine and got the latest updates. Don't need to put an external drive on it, can sideload anything to it. I only did it to experiment, didn't find anything outstanding in doing the root to be fair. Gone back and don't miss it.

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014
I unrooted mine and got the latest updates. Don't need to put an external drive on it, can sideload anything to it. I only did it to experiment, didn't find anything outstanding in doing the root to be fair. Gone back and don't miss it.
If you want access to the many apps from the google play store including pay for apps you may already own on other devices.. Or want to change the on screen keyboard or anything system related the rooting is necessary.

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
If you want access to the many apps from the google play store including pay for apps you may already own on other devices… Or want to change the on screen keyboard or anything system related the rooting is necessary.
In addition to mastafunk's important points above, who wouldn't find the ability to play ANY video from an attached drive -- or the ability to download movies and TV Shows from XBMC -- to be kind of an outstanding feature, impossible to do without rooting?

smiffy71

May 7, 2012
It isn't impossible to download stuff, if you have a NAS you can download them to that quite easily through XBMC. Not saying the games aren't a plus, but there seems inconsistencies with some and I, for one, don't really feel that the Google Play bit is that necessary. It's all personal opinion, as these things often are. This is the only Android device I have ever, or are likely to ever, own as well. So again for me previous purchases aren't an issue. It is also possible to sideload purchased apps as well.

Last edited:

mjbxx

Banned
Aug 30, 2014
NC, USA
How about having the ability to have everything incorporated onto an XBMC Launcher home screen, with access to AFTV Launcher, which can only be achieved if the device is rooted. Who would not want that?

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
While I appreciate your points, smiffy (although I would speculate that it is the rare user who connects through NAS), I guess I'm struggling to understand just why users would find NOT rooting their Fire TV's to be the more attractive alternative... To get Amazon updates?

Really?

Perhaps there are other features I'm doing without by rooting my Fire TV?

And how could anyone familiar with Google Play find that NOT having access to it is preferable to being able to access all the useful applications there?

But as you say, it is all about personal preferences and I'm grateful to have all the options available.

Last edited:

smiffy71

May 7, 2012
I don't think there are features you are missing out on. It was just that I preferred the other way.

:)

enigma869

Jan 24, 2014
How about having the ability to have everything incorporated onto an XBMC Launcher home screen, with access to AFTV Launcher, which can only be achieved if the device is rooted. Who would not want that?

I love the look of your XBMC setup. Any step by step instructions for that look? Also, what's the Amazon add on all about? I've never seen that add on?

mjbxx

Banned
Aug 30, 2014
NC, USA
I love the look of your XBMC setup. Any step by step instructions for that look? Also, what's the Amazon add on all about? I've never seen that add on?
You first must have the Fire TV rooted (http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv/) and follow the directions for installing the XBMC Launcher (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2790392).

The "AMAZON" seen on my Amber skin home page is a shortcut to the stock Fire TV Launcher for access to Amazon Prime and Videos. This setup is actually the best of both worlds as there is no loss of functionality.

enigma869

Jan 24, 2014
You first must have the Fire TV rooted (http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv/) and follow the directions for installing the XBMC Launcher (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2790392).

The "AMAZON" seen on my Amber skin home page is a shortcut to the stock Fire TV Launcher for access to Amazon Prime and Videos. This setup is actually the best of both worlds as there is no loss of functionality.
Thank you. I'm going to attempt it on one of my boxes.

DankNasty

May 16, 2012

Sorry if I'm bringing up old stuff but I'm getting my aftv today and plan on rooting it first thing. Setting up what you just posted will probably be the second. How did you set it up to show all the thumbnails with the addons?

offroad

Oct 16, 2013
No need to root. I have everything running well on my never rooted aftv. Installed LLAMA and AUTOBOOT to fix a couple issues. But those are side loads.

Starcrane

May 15, 2012
IMO it is not worth it. Had one box rooted and one side loaded. My son and I got so into the games and the amazon cloud features that were located on the home screen I regretted rooting the other which had launcher. And once I placed kodi to launch from the classic TV icon it was all over. We enjoy having it side loaded versus rooted. I have had issues with the other that's rooted like freezing on the amazon logo. Can't ssh into it anymore as well (including adbfire). Called amazon and they are sending me out a replacement. If I was tech advanced I wouldn't be posting this but to the novice techie/family man it's NOT WORTH ROOTING. Side loading is the way to go.