Is SPMC Better Or A LOT Better?

Invincibleinc

Sep 12, 2013
Toronto, ON
Just go the Shield recently.

I know what you're going to say, "Set it up and try it out for yourself!", and to be honest, I probably will at some point, but I'm also interested in what you all see as the biggest benefit.

I really like Kodi V17 and the Estuary skin and I understand that that is not an option yet with SPMC, which is another reason I've been hesitant. Kodi is working fine (I have had some "dead stop" issues with USTV and in the middle of movies a couple times that I'm not so stoked about, but nothing to get worked up on) for the most part, so I am largely ambivalent about trying SPMC.

If you think I'm crazy, tell me I'm crazy and convince me.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Install SPMC. It is its own entity and will install side by side with Krypton without disturbing it. You can run both and see which you prefer.

Note that SPMC is pretty well made with the Shield in mind. It gives you the voice capability so you can actually talk to Koki. However, I have tried it and I stayed with Krypton. I didn't use voice for Kodi and therefore didn't feel I was getting what I wanted. Krypton gives me all I want and need.

But the choice is yours.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Just go the Shield recently.

I know what you're going to say, "Set it up and try it out for yourself!", and to be honest, I probably will at some point, but I'm also interested in what you all see as the biggest benefit.

I really like Kodi V17 and the Estuary skin and I understand that that is not an option yet with SPMC, which is another reason I've been hesitant. Kodi is working fine (I have had some "dead stop" issues with USTV and in the middle of movies a couple times that I'm not so stoked about, but nothing to get worked up on) for the most part, so I am largely ambivalent about trying SPMC.

If you think I'm crazy, tell me I'm crazy and convince me.
Main reason I use it is for voice search. So if you do a lot of searching and typing, it's worth it.

JimDaddyO

May 15, 2016
I just put SPMC on an older Android box (ver 4.4.2) and everything works great. No need to by a new box with Android 5+ so you can run the new version of Kodi. What a nice money saver.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I prefer MyGica Media Center myself but for my Shield, I simply use Kodi au naturel. I find it works better and since I don't use the voice feature of the box, it does all I want and more.

gujal

Developer
Dec 26, 2013
Kodi 17 has inputstream.adaptive which is getting better by the day by supporting DRM HLS, MPEG-DASH and MS Smooth Streaming.
None of the other forks have it, be it mygica, ftmc, spmc, etc.
There is a SPMC 17 Alpha (Kodi 17 base) in the works, but is still not fully ready indicated by Alpha.
So if you want the full Kodi 17 experience, you have to go with stock Kodi 17 or OpenElec/LibreElec 8.x
But if you want Voice commands on nVidia Shield, either go with SPMC 16.7 stable which is Kodi Jarvis base, or SPMC 17 Alpha if you dont mind the occasional bug or crash

Last edited:

FORD

Oct 24, 2013
Well, sad news for you SPMC fans....

Koying has pulled the plug and will not be developing SPMC any further. He's now working with "MrMC".

Don't get me started on my feelings about THAT particular project, but I'm guessing that anybody who uses TV Addons isn't a fan of them either.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Kodi Support 0
M Amazon Fire TV 0
O OUYA 11