Issue with Restoring to 5.3...

AJFAY86

Jan 14, 2013
Hi,

Attempting to restore to 5.3 with the latest version of Seas0npass & everything seems fine until it gets to "Extracting software" and stays on that.

I have attempted to restore to different versions & also to restore through iTunes (with the intention to restore back to 5.3 through SP after) but get error 1600 or 1618 with them.

Someone mentioned about inserting the power cord at stage 4 of the "Jailbreaking 101 http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605" but that doesn't work for me.

My ATV2 unit automatically goes into DFU mode without the need for me to use the remote - I don't know if this is part of the problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as im pulling my hair out here & want to get it done asap before Apple pull the plug!

bigdogeh

May 6, 2012
try jailbreaking with the chord in and once you get to stage 4 remove the chord.... that's what has worked for me in the past...

schermouse

Aug 21, 2013
Having same problem with mine, stuck in DFU mode, was your original software 5.0.2 (4250)? if it was keep trying different things. I finaly got mine upgraded to 6.02 (6646.81.1) but I don't know how I did it. Used old version of iTunes, and removed library file before it would even load, then let it restored and upgrade. At least I got my AppleTV2 back, then went out and bought a OUYA, no problems with it.Except you have to set up a account and register with a credit card, bought one game, so far no problems with credit card purchase, Runs XBMCHUB after regestering.
While I was typing this I tried pluging in my other AppleTV2(or was it unpluging )power cord my unit at stage 4 (updating I thik). When it was done it came up with a error but the light stopped flashing, then I pluged in the HDMI and pushed menu and unit came up asking for language. Then checked info and had
Apple TV software 5.3 (6105). Tried out Youtube and it was Working , So it did update, I also said I did not want to share information with Apple because I think it will update to new software. Went back to see what was hapening now says Update Software. Don't know to what Version. Don't want to try stoping it because It might crash. 11:28pm Finished updating then asked if I wanted to update software now. Clicked NOT NOW. Checked info still running version 5.3. Think I will sleep on it tonight and might try Jailbreaking tomorrow. Did notice that this version does not have CraCkle on it.

Last edited:

AJFAY86

Jan 14, 2013
try jailbreaking with the chord in and once you get to stage 4 remove the chord.... that's what has worked for me in the past...
Yeah tried this. Still no joy.

So annoying how temperamental they can be & that an issue one person has can be solved completely differently than someone else!

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
I sympathise with the issues of jailbreaking ATV2.

It took me many goes using different leads and USB ports and all manner of plugging in power and removing.

When i finally managed mine i took a note of which usb port and cable I used if i should ever try it again !

I'm on ATV2 firmware 5.0.2 and don't intend to upgrade again unless i absolutely have to as i see no advantage as I really only use it for xbmc.

my notes read :

Itunes off
Started season pass
When asked to connect apple tv connected usb at apple tv end ( usb cable already connected to PC usb)
Inserted power lead
Held menu + pause/start on apple remote until entered dfu mode

As soon as said was restoring in itunes removed the power lead

and it then all worked without touching anything else

hope this may help :)

ClutchKargo

May 6, 2012
USA
OK this worked for me as I was having the same issues with DFU. And this is EXTREMELY Unorthodox but has worked three times now.

1. Use Season Pass to jailbreak and right click and select 5.3. Let the program go through its process and try to Jailbreak, when you finally get a 1600 or what ever fail code and your unit gets stuck in DFU mode then do this!

2. Restart your computer.

3. Plug your Apple TV in and hold "menu" and "play pause" for 8-9 seconds then do a hard restart "menu" and "Down" then unplug and set to the side.

4. Now here is the CRAZY part. Fire up iFaith and put your unit in iReb mode like you are using a signed snowbreeze IPSW.

5. OK so now you are in a "pwned" iReb state ready to Jailbreak. Now fire up iTunes and do a "Shift" + "Restore" and go to your documents folder and use the 5.3 file with "SP_Restore" at the end this will be your "signed" Season Pass file just created.

6. Click OK and iTunes will use this file and Jailbreak your unit. If it fails or sticks just retry. It works I promise!!

Good Luck!!

Clutch

aceedburn

May 10, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, MY
OK this worked for me as I was having the same issues with DFU. And this is EXTREMELY Unorthodox but has worked three times now.

1. Use Season Pass to jailbreak and right click and select 5.3. Let the program go through its process and try to Jailbreak, when you finally get a 1600 or what ever fail code and your unit gets stuck in DFU mode then do this!

2. Restart your computer.

3. Plug your Apple TV in and hold "menu" and "play pause" for 8-9 seconds then do a hard restart "menu" and "Down" then unplug and set to the side.

4. Now here is the CRAZY part. Fire up iFaith and put your unit in iReb mode like you are using a signed snowbreeze IPSW.

5. OK so now you are in a "pwned" iReb state ready to Jailbreak. Now fire up iTunes and do a "Shift" + "Restore" and go to your documents folder and use the 5.3 file with "SP_Restore" at the end this will be your "signed" Season Pass file just created.

6. Click OK and iTunes will use this file and Jailbreak your unit. If it fails or sticks just retry. It works I promise!!

Good Luck!!

Clutch
You hit the nail on the head! However, in my situation it failed during the decompressing of ipsw stage. So I just fired up ireb7 and put the atv into dfu mode. Then I opened iTunes and restored with the jail broken version of the ipsw. Worked the first time around with no problems. However, please take note that the old version of seatbelt does not work with 5.3. Within nito tv, install the new fix for seatbelt 5.3 and the update prompts will go away for good.

beebhead

Jan 8, 2014
Ugh, I'm getting 1600 errors as well. I have a proper jailbroken (SP) IPSW that I was able to deploy onto one ATV2, but I'm getting 1600s on the other one. I've tried iREBbing into pwned DFU (my ATV is stuck in DFU mode), restarting my computer, tried with the cord in and the cord out, and the cord in then out... and I'm still getting 1600 every time. It's super frustrating to have jailbroken another device using the same software and hardware just a few hours ago... any other ideas?

kcaly

Jan 5, 2013
Van City
I had these issues as well in the past. What usually worked for me was to use iReb to put my ATV into DFU mode. As soon as I did that, it seemed to no longer give me any iTunes restore errors.

takumi

May 16, 2013
just wanted to say thanks to everyone that contributed in this thread.

I had an ATV2 jailbreak yesterday, and I was pulling my hair out from stress because it was stuck in dfu mode. this thread saved my ass. and especially the part about doing the JB with the cord in and then removing the cord at a certain point. it was this that restored the ATV2 successfully after a few hours of stress trying to fix it. ty

ctxbrown

Apr 2, 2013
Hey guys, quick question,what happens if you don't re-jailbreak and keep the 5.0.2 software? Will anything happen to my atv2,any help would be appreciated.

takumi

May 16, 2013
all that matters is that you having a working version of xbmc. regardless of what apple software you have on your ATV2

if you are having issues with xbmc on 5.0.2, you can always uninstall xbmc completely and then re-install xbmc, but there is no need to upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.3

Hey guys, quick question,what happens if you don't re-jailbreak and keep the 5.0.2 software? Will anything happen to my atv2,any help would be appreciated.

ctxbrown

Apr 2, 2013
all that matters is that you having a working version of xbmc. regardless of what apple software you have on your ATV2

if you are having issues with xbmc on 5.0.2, you can always uninstall xbmc completely and then re-install xbmc, but there is no need to upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.3
thanks for the input takumi,much appreciated.

Goodfella99

Nov 3, 2013
Hi all,

My old version was 4.4.4. I tried installing 5.3. No success. Now can't seem to install any old or newer version of firmware.

Please help

When I plug atv2 back on TV. There is logo to plug to iTunes.

Please help don't know what to do

newgod

Feb 5, 2013
Montreal
does any anyone have any issues trying to install xbmc on the apple tv using nito ot firecore or is it just me? does not seem to want to install the xbmc package.

maximlife

Jan 3, 2013
Yes I am having same issues today!!! Nito installer didn't work to install Xbmc or nito, then installed maintenance using ATv flash...was able to install nito...nito wouldn't install Xbmc nor would ATv flash install Xbmc....also tried the old fashion way and no go....tried to install Xbmc on my laptop an download time was 6 hours lol!! So I think it's just Xbmc having issues today

Any body else know any other reason!!

does any anyone have any issues trying to install xbmc on the apple tv using nito ot firecore or is it just me? does not seem to want to install the xbmc package.

newgod

Feb 5, 2013
Montreal
i was able to finally install it with nito installer took a lot more time then the usual but like u said max i think is the servers.