Jail breaking latest apple version

filly

Jan 31, 2013
Canada
Update!!! After a reboot and using this method at Firecore success!! Ifaith and Total Commander using 5.2-10B1446 . Worked for me!!!!

Zeek

Sep 24, 2013
Here is the method I use to restore an Apple TV to a non-jailbroken 5.3:

1) Using Seasonpass, create an IPSW for the 5.3 unit whose signatures you want to save.

2) Exit SP once you are asked to enter DFU mode.

3) Run iReb (inside of iFAITH 1.5.9) and Pwn the ATV in DFU mode.

4) Run iTunes. Alt + Restore. iTunes will restore ATV to 5.3 vanilla (and un-jailbroken).

KEY TIP: When restoring with iTunes, be sure you are choosing the vanilla IPSW file in the my documents/seasonpass/DOWNLOADS folder -- NOT the patched IPSW with the letters SP in the file name that lives in the directory in the my documents/seasonpass folder. This is critical or your process will fail.

This method has always been successful for me.
Hi MaxieW, will these instructions work for the ATV3? I just bought one last Friday and I was told by the attendant at the local 7/11, to jailbreak it back to 5.3 and then load Seas0npass and follow that with ****up.
I am on my own cause I am noobie at this. I am FTA refugee.
I'd truly appreciate any help in getting this guy (ATV3) up and running.
I have a Mac pro and windows 7.

Zeek

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Hi MaxieW, will these instructions work for the ATV3? I just bought one last Friday and I was told by the attendant at the local 7/11, to jailbreak it back to 5.3 and then load Seas0npass and follow that with ****up.
I am on my own cause I am noobie at this. I am FTA refugee.
I'd truly appreciate any help in getting this guy (ATV3) up and running.
I have a Mac pro and windows 7.

Zeek
It will not work with ATV3. Only ATV2. ATV3 cannot be jailbroken. An ATV must be jailbroken to run XBMC.

Zeek

Sep 24, 2013
Crawl thanks for the info. What recourse do I have other then sending it back to Apple?
I really want to get into XBMC and the viewing products it supports.

Also thanks for editing my post. I forgot about live links! It won't happen again

Last edited:

crusader88

Apr 19, 2013
Crawl thanks for the info. What recourse do I have other then sending it back to Apple?

Also thanks for editing my post. I forgot about live links! It won't happen again
Well you can't really do much with the atv3 since it can't be jailbroken therefore no XBMC will ever be on it

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO

I'd try and sell it for what you can get, and buy another device. I'd recommend Amazon Fire TV. I retired my ATV2 and migrated to FireTV, and I've never been happier.

iMac

Aug 18, 2014
Is there any way to jailbreak my atv2 using mac 10.6.8? Keep getting patch fail error.

velocity

Sep 6, 2013
This is a known issue from Jan. 2014 and firecore isn't expressing any interest in fixing it.
According to them, you need Mac OS X 10.8 or later, or a windows machine using XP or later..but the windows experience isn't as smooth as it used to be either.