Just something to discuss..

chrisnewton

Jan 14, 2014
Hi all.

I am still relatively new to this, but enjoying learning from everyone on here. I'll start by saying there is no way I can even begin to know how any of this works, I like many just find it amazing that I can find most of the things I want to watch and often in great HD quality.

Anyway I currently have 2 T8 android boxes running kodi and I love them, however I am now looking to upgrade and to be honest I'm stuck at what to do. I have been having a discussion on tknorris forum about windows v android etc and thought I'd try to open it up into a more general discussion.

I am really tempted to go for the nivea shield tvTV. It really looks the business but the only thing stopping me is its android. Yes I have 2 android boxes and as such I'm aware of issues such as https sites which because of python the android boxes can't play.

I guess I'm just curious on what you guys think and do you think windows is the way to go?

Also as a side discussion what do you think the future of kodi actually looks like? I totally understand its a media player and as such will always work as intended, but I'm sure most of us love addons such as genesis and SA*TS. I was reading a thread where someone asked why could not get GV centre and VK sources and basically it's because they no longer work. Could this eventually happen to all the feeds? Like I say I'm new to this and just wondering if I have got into this at the wrong time, or has it always been like this? Streams come and go?

Please don't take this in any negative way, I'm well aware kodi, the devs etc owe me nothing, and that's not the intention of this thread.

I love what kodi does for me and my family I just thought I'd ask people who know a lot more than me what they think about a few things I have been thinking off lately.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Streams will come and go, I can't see there being no file-hosts whatsoever any time soon. If that does happen, which it most likely won't, you could resort to downloading via other means. Piracy has been going for donkey's years before Kodi was even in existence, and I'd say it will continue long after Kodi is gone. Maybe people were having similar discussions about Napster 15 years ago or whatever it was :)

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
You can always buy a shield, try it out if you don't like it you can sell it on ebay possibly for more than you paid for it.

If watching kodi every night with your loved ones is a good thing then what's a couple hundred bucks anyway?

Look at the amount of hours you will probably spend in a year watching whatever you want then divide 200 bucks into it and see what it comes out to.

Boy I make a good salesman don't I ?

Windows is good too and you can find a windows box now for much less than a shield.

Or do like I do and buy and use both.

I spent a lot of time last night studying any link differences on Spor**dev*l between windows and android and I found no difference in any of it. The links acted identical. Now maybe streaming movies and TV shows will be different I don't know, but my gut feeling says the shield is updated to accompany https. I will try to do some more research on this as time allows.

chrisnewton

Jan 14, 2014
You can always buy a shield, try it out if you don't like it you can sell it on ebay possibly for more than you paid for it.

If watching kodi every night with your loved ones is a good thing then what's a couple hundred bucks anyway?

Look at the amount of hours you will probably spend in a year watching whatever you want then divide 200 bucks into it and see what it comes out to.

Boy I make a good salesman don't I ?

Windows is good too and you can find a windows box now for much less than a shield.

Or do like I do and buy and use both.

I spent a lot of time last night studying any link differences on Spor**dev*l between windows and android and I found no difference in any of it. The links acted identical. Now maybe streaming movies and TV shows will be different I don't know, but my gut feeling says the shield is updated to accompany https. I will try to do some more research on this as time allows.
I totally agree with what your saying with regards to the price being worth it and it is! I am almost certainly going to order the shield. My only worry is that if more of the sites go to HTTPS and render the shield and other android boxes useless.

You do make a lot of sense and yes if you do get time to look into if the shield supports HTTP's sites i would be very grateful to know the outcome as like i said this is the only thing stopping me taking the plunge!

chrisnewton

Jan 14, 2014
Like I say I'm new to all this, all I know is my android device won't show any feeds from AFDAH. When I asked about this I was told it was because of it being https and not http.

Hope this helps?

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Also, what I would do is buy a NVidia Shield from Best Buy, and you can test drive it for 15 days, if you don't like it you can take it back. I myself just set one up for my neighbor and he does not like it, so to each his own. I myself prefer RPI 2, they quick, easy to setup and affordable.

Now all this comes at a choice and preference, my neighbor wanted an Android box, that had web browsing and Netflix, thus why he decided to test the NVidia Shield. One thing he didn't like, was the play store, for some reason does not have all the apps the Android phone Play Store has, I don't know why, but IE, he wanted to do a WiFi speedtest, and on the shield and went to the Play store, we could not find Speedtest.com app. So, now he wants to take the Shield back, and is looking at either a MX III 5.1 Box, or give up on Netflix and get an RPI 2.

So again comes down to what your priorities are, I started a thread for him to see, since I'm the one setting it up for him.

http://forums.tvaddons.co/kodi-for-android-discussion/37020-android-box-recommendation-neighbor-new-post.html

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
What is AFDAH?

Never heard of it.

To the guy who's friend doesn't like the shield: you don't buy it for Google play store apps you buy it because it's a great device for kodi,that outperforms the others video playing quality lol.
Also you can side load many apps from the play store even though it doesn't list them. Opera browser is a prime example. It works fine with a wireless keyboard/ mouseoad,. The reason they dont have everything in their version of the play store is because their stock remotes aren't mouses so that functionality they don't want to inconvenience people with forcing them to buy a wireless keyboard / mouse. You can even use a windows computer to find play store apps, download them then install via an SD card, USB stick, or directly from your network

When he gets a rpi he's gonna have other shortfalls that are far worse.
But to each their own, people need to own and use their kodi hardware for awhile to find out what they like or don't like. It's all part of the hobby.lol

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
What is AFDAH?

Never heard of it.

To the guy who's friend doesn't like the shield: you don't buy it for Google play store apps you buy it because it's a great device for kodi,that outperforms the others video playing quality lol.
Also you can side load many apps from the play store even though it doesn't list them. Opera browser is a prime example. It works fine with a wireless keyboard/ mouseoad,. The reason they dont have everything in their version of the play store is because their stock remotes aren't mouses so that functionality they don't want to inconvenience people with forcing them to buy a wireless keyboard / mouse. You can even use a windows computer to find play store apps, download them then install via an SD card, USB stick, or directly from your network

When he gets a rpi he's gonna have other shortfalls that are far worse.
But to each their own, people need to own and use their kodi hardware for awhile to find out what they like or don't like. It's all part of the hobby.lol

Pitfalls, Like what I have 2 RPI 2 and I have had no issues with them, rock solid.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Afdah is a disease, I Googled it.

Can't help you bro. Not getting involved with afdah.

I was assuming it was within the kodi addons.ag package, it isnt.

Why can't you simply watch whatever it was you would watch on afdah on genesis?

Eldrick

Oct 11, 2013
I am absolutely thrilled with my previously useless Windows laptop (HDMI out) that I recently installed Ubuntu and Kodi on, and use a wireless mini keyboard and/or Yatse remote to operate. One current advantage to a non android box is enjoying superior quality NHL hockey streams with the Pho*nix addon. There is a work around for Android, but it really not user friendly. At all. But if hockey is not your thing, this doesn't matter.
Regardless, there are usually many different paths to the same end.
Cheers