Kitkat and sd cards

Daz2014

Feb 19, 2014
I recently bought a new tablet running kitkat.As you probably know kitkat won't allow you to read/write to an sd card which is a problem for me as I want to store my movie library on the sd card.
Is there any way around this without rooting ? For example would it be possible to install Kodi on the sd card and if so would it then be able to access the sd card ?
As things stand the sd card is not available to the library in kodi nor can you download from addons to the card.

cheers

photoplay

Sep 18, 2012
If your device is Rooted then it's an easy fix by installing SDFix from the Google Playstore. If your not Rooted, then their may be a manual way to allow access to your SD card. Searching Google for Kitkat SD fix without Root I came up with a couple of sites that might help:
or
Good Luck

Daz2014

Feb 19, 2014
Those fixes all require rooting mate.
Without me uninstalling Kodi and re-installing it again do you know if there's an option to install it on the sd card rather than internal memory ?
I have the apk file downloaded

silvanet

Jan 31, 2015
Wow, thanks! Been asking over at Kodi forums but they're not very friendly over there. Now all I need is to see if Kodi actually recognizes and uses that extra external SD card memory. Thanks a bunch.

silvanet

Jan 31, 2015
Getting Kodi to use external SD card

OK folks, any guidance is greatly appreciated. I installed the apk, granted it superuser rights, and ran the fix. Everything seemed to go successfully. When I run Kodi however it only seems to be using external memory if I connect a USB flash drive. The system info storage information shows it being used. But if I remove the USB there is no storage other than the internal recognized by Kodi. I know Kodi is able to get info from the external SD because I put an image there for it to use as the default background. That works fine. I've been looking into Kodi settings to see if there is something I need to do there, but so far haven't found it. Does anybody know what I need to do now for Kodi to use my external SD card?

I found a thread on Kodi forum on relocating user data on external SD card. It was old and some apparently tried editing the path substitution section of the advancedsettings.xml in Kodi. Report was it worked great for the thumbnails but not so hot for addons. Not sure if can move or link the axel.downloader.meta file. One guy said he was able to successfully use Link2SD to link the files to the external SD. I'm trying now & will report back on my success or failure.

Last edited:

silvanet

Jan 31, 2015
The SD fixes work. Still, there are a couple of things you have to do to prepare to use Link2SD. You need to partition your external SD card into two Primary partitions. I found an instruction video on YouTube using MiniTool Partition Wizard. You can also do this with Partition Magic in Linux. My TV box OS is Android KitKat (of course). I found out that it is the second partition that will be used by Kodi. On an 8 Gig SD I made the first one just under 1 Gig and the second with the rest of the space. Kodi recognizes it. Now I'm checking to see if I have to do anything else for Kodi to use that space for thumbnails, fanart, and whatever else. I'll come back in a couple of days and let you know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Kodi Support 7
K Kodi Support 7
W OUYA 0