kodi 18 and APK files

atony

Apr 2, 2017
need help on this topic
is their a way to install APK files directly in Kodi 18
thanks for any help

nolet2

May 28, 2013
I thought APK files ran independently of kodi...******* , ********* tv ect. Why would you want to put them inside Kodi ?

atony

Apr 2, 2017
i got kodi 18 installed on the XBOX ONE X and i love my ********* and ******* and i have not got a clue on how to get these 2 APK file in the xbox one x.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
by the stars in your post, I am thinking you are trying to install addons, not apk. Kodi is an APK, the equivalent of an exe in windows. An addon is normally a zip file, not an apk.

atony

Apr 2, 2017
by the stars in your post, I am thinking you are trying to install addons, not apk. Kodi is an APK, the equivalent of an exe in windows. An addon is normally a zip file, not an apk.
-----------------------
the files are APKs, sorry, if i put names of the apks on the post it gets deleted and dots in the space
the files in question one starts with a -- T -- and the other starts with a --S-- you probably know these apks movie files
i have no problems insttaling them on the Android tv Box.
but i cant or i dont know how to install them (APKs) on the Xbox One X this is the problem because on the xbox i can only install Kodi which i already did so, but this is why i dont know if i can or cant install APKs files directly in Kodi 18 and if yes (how to do it)
thanks

Last edited:

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
An APK (andriod package) is the package file format for android apps. kodi doesnt run apk's and I dont believe xbox does either. They re strictly for android I believe. Kodi addons are not apk's. They are python programs packaged as a zip file for kodi to install and then run the unzipped files. windows (xbox) uses .exe (executable) as the package format.

{edit} the only thing I can think of is that people are confusing separately installing android apps (apk's) on android and then accessing them through the programs/android apps in kodi. kodi is not actually running the andriod app but telling android to run it. and if thats the case then you dont need kodi. You can just run them from the android apps menu

[edit2] Bottom line is that you arent going to istall apk's on xbox (windows) mac or linux. and your not going to install .exe's on droid, mac or linux. kodi is a separate program that runs on all of them. but still cant run apk's or exe's. the maker of the andriod app (apk) would have to write it as an exe that would work on xbox. you still would not need kodi to run hem

Last edited:

atony

Apr 2, 2017
got no problem installing them on android
the issue is with kodi i also believe that the kodi repository got the --T-- file but i believe that it got adds on the file
but i will keep on searching and see what i can find
i also tried to zip the file and tried to intall it but no go.
----------------------

THANKS FOR YOU HELP

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
thats what i'm trying to tell you. if you have an apk the problem is not kodi. the problem is in your mistaken idea that kodi runs the apk. its totally different code. they are not interchangeable

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
If you google for the addon T...... for Kodi, you should be able to find an addon (not an apk) that will be installable in Kodi (if the addon exists). If it does exists, you will find it as a zip file, not an apk. If it is an apk, it is not an addon that will work within Kodi and it will not work on XBox.

nolet2

May 28, 2013
They are apk files in my file manager and are played from where my apps are... not while Kodi is running

Thanx

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
All XBox systems run a special version of the Windows operating system, so you will never be able to install an APK file on them. APK files only work on android and android derivative devices such as FireTV and NVidia Shield. The only way to play android players on an Xbox is to cast it from an android device.

That is, unless there is some sort of android emulator program that will work on the XBox that I don't know about. However running android apps inside an emulator is probably not going to be great performance in a scenario such as this.

Last edited: