Kodi 18 Has a Severe Load Time and Freezes on Exit

OldSchoolSavage

Oct 4, 2019
I have been using Kodi for a while now without any issues but as of last Sunday, it started having problems with long load times between menus. For example, I select a random video addon. I can then select the TV or Movies category and everything is fine up to that point. But when I try to select from the next menu with options like Trending, Most Popular, Top Rated, etc., there is a very load waiting period before the results are displayed. Sometimes, the results will display after waiting and sometimes Kodi freezes. If I get the results to display, then selecting anything means another long wait with the potential for freezing. If I'm trying to watch a specific episode of any given TV show, the wait time is usually between 10 - 20 minutes while I wait for various results to load.

I am using Kodi on an 4k Amazon Firestick. I have updated Kodi from 18.2 to 18.4, cleared the cache, cleared the data, tried installing various builds and even installed a fresh copy of Kodi on an Nvidia Shield with the same results. My WiFi connection speed is usually around 15 Mbps. I've had very little issue with buffering and I am at a loss as to what could be causing the issue. If I wait for all of the screens to load and the video starts playing, I can usually watch it uninterrupted from that point forward. But then when I try to exit Kodi, it freezes. I then have to go into the settings and Force Stop it. I found this to be the case on both the Firestick and the Nvidia Shield.

Any ideas on what is going on?

• Sad
Reactions: capslock

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
If this happened only on the firestick I would tell you it is overloaded with builds and addons. A firestick just doesn't have the capacity to by overloaded and should really be using a lite skin and only 2 or 3 addons. But when this also happens on a shield, I'm thinking it is likely a Trakt api causing this problem. Check here

OldSchoolSavage

Oct 4, 2019
I checked the Trakt link and it is at 100% for most of the past 90 days. There are a few minor drops but 99.45% is the lowest I found. I also installed a base version of Kodi along with the Fusion Installer, Git Browser and Indigo tool as instructed on this website and got the same result.

OldSchoolSavage

Oct 4, 2019
I decided to start fresh again. I have a clean install of Kodi 18.4 on the firestick. I can install Fusion, Git Browser and Indigo without any problems but then what? Where do I get the addons that I want? I tried the Config Wizard in Indigo but it didn't have any of the "good" addons. I also tried searching Git Browser with the recommended user name but it was also missing the addons I am looking for. And finally, I went back to YouTube hoping to find a good repository but msst of the content focused on various builds and really just want the addons because I prefer the default Kodi interface.

capslock

Jan 1, 2018
The "good" addons that you are looking for are NOT allowed on this site and in the Repo from TVADDONS. Use a browser to find them until you see a very well known site/forum.
I do NOT mean that the TVADDONS are not good, the are good and legal !

• Happy
Reactions: RavRob