KODI and the APPLE TV

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
After finding that GOTHAM 13.2 created a WORSE XBMC experience with major "kick-out" issues, I have downgraded my ATV's to 12.3 -- and have had better luck and fewer problems.

I am wondering if KODI 14.0 has proven to be better than 12.3 -- or more like 13.2 as far as the Apple TV experience is concerned.

I would love to think that the bugginess of my ATV's will improve with the move to a stable KODI...

Am I just wishing and hoping here?

Swanson

Dec 15, 2014
I haven't noticed any difference myself and have chosen to stick with 12.3. Gotham 13.2 is just a KILLER for the Apple TV and I don't want to repeat the experience with KODI.

I fear that the days of the Apple TV effectively running XBMC/KODI are coming to an inglorious end.

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
I'm running 13.2 on atv 2 just fine.
What's the trick, budman?

Based on my experience with more than a few Apple TV's and ATV users -- and the many posts here speaking to an ever increasing incidence of "crashing" Apple TV's -- very few of us are replicating your success.

budman70

May 16, 2013
I have no trick. The only thing I did was upgrade the firmware to 5.3 and 13, 13.1 and then 13.2. as they became stable. I won't go to 14 since the comand lines don't seem to work for 13.2. Past that it must be dumb luck.

May 6, 2012
I find some apple tv 2's work fine on Gotham or Kodi and others crash constantly. I have tried just installing XBMC and just the 1Ch**nel addon or just Ic*f*lms and it will reboot especially on HD. I find that they are slow as well. I tell people move on and get a Fire, Ouya Minix (x5, 6 or 8) or if you can afford more an HTPC. I personally run a mac mini and it's awesome but not many people want to spend $500-600 for a media center.

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
there still working on bug fixes on Kodi 14 stable release.... I think there at 14.1 now and might be more fixes coming. I would stick with gotham 13.2 also for now.

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Really? You are recommending 13.2 as well?

I have found that 13.2 is EXTREMELY buggy and more prone to crashing than any prior version I ever used.

If you guys are truly having a good Apple TV experience with 13.2, what exactly are you watching, and which addons do you recommend?

Susana

Mar 7, 2015
On My TV
I have been having a lot of issues with 13.2 keeps crashing a lot, has anyovne got kodi on apple tv 2? i am thinkig of buying an android tv box, any suggestions?

Really? You are recommending 13.2 as well?

I have found that 13.2 is EXTREMELY buggy and more prone to crashing than any prior version I ever used.

If you guys are truly having a good Apple TV experience with 13.2, what exactly are you watching, and which addons do you recommend?

downs

Aug 5, 2013
I'm running KODI on my atv2 , experienced the same issues with 13.2 everyone else was mentioning.

I find this version pretty good, something happened I can't remember but I had to wipe and re-install XBMC so I just went with what was there and so far its been pretty good.

Sometimes will boot with no audio I reboot and its fine second time, could be my TV too the HDMI audio in is a bit weird.

Anyway I've been running 14 for a couple weeks now and its pretty good IMO

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
I have been having a lot of issues with 13.2 keeps crashing a lot, has anyovne got kodi on apple tv 2? i am thinkig of buying an android tv box, any suggestions?
In my opinion, KODI 14.1 is the very best APPLE TV version since the very early days of the FRODO (12.x) series.

Whereas I had awful and constant crashing on GOTHAM 13.2, I find that HELIX 14.1 is much, much more stable.

With that said, it is very tough to beat the FIRE TV -- my Android device of choice -- for overall value.

Apple TV users who have made the switch are happy to never look back. If it were not for the superior mirroring capabilities of the APPLE TV, there would be no reason at all to keep it around.

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
I can't watch movies. Every time I try to do it, the Apple TV reboots.

Anyone seen this?
This is not unusual if you are choosing HD links.

You need to be selecting MQ or SD links which should not give you the same problems.

HD links on sites like GENESIS are just too "heavy" for the ATV2's limited processing power and will kick you back to the Apple TV desktop more often than not.

You might look at sites like MOVIES4ME and MUCH MOVIES which are alternatives I recommend for Apple TV users.

And be sure that you have upgraded to KODI 14.1 which offers a more stable experience than earlier FRODO or GOTHAM versions.

sqig

May 10, 2012
Spain
I can't watch movies. Every time I try to do it, the Apple TV reboots.

Anyone seen this?
Unplug the apple tv for a minute, then try again.
Your Apple tv reboots when it runs out of memory,
Used SD streams as MaxieWagner recommends.

zydeco42

Feb 7, 2013
Ok so I just supposedly installed on my jailbroken Apple TV but I cannot get ANY of the addon's to work. I keep getting a message at the lower right hand of the screen saying the script has failed.

Also I went back into the NITOTv to see if Kodi needed updated and it says its not even installed!? So when I try to install I see a message at the end that says "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure-{ correct the problem"

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

Ljf7249

Apr 28, 2015
I had lots of issues with 14.1 downgraded to gothem 13.2 and don't have any issues at all before downgrading navigate would kick you out of movies after 28 minutes of play ice films did it to any movie you tried to watch. Happy with 13.2 but still thinking of trying Amazon fire

jbizzy

Aug 9, 2012
I used to use the Apple TV, then had an Ouya, but have switched to the FireTV. It is awesome, you will not be disappointed.

Delwashy

Apr 5, 2014
Bolton(England)
We have 3 ATV2's in the family i've updated them to kodi 14.2 2 of them i have very little problems with but the other it's a pig crashes at the drop of a hat.Basically it's knowing the limitations of your box use only the addons you use keep it simple and maintain it regular

bigdogeh

May 6, 2012
Ok so I just supposedly installed on my jailbroken Apple TV but I cannot get ANY of the addon's to work. I keep getting a message at the lower right hand of the screen saying the script has failed.

Also I went back into the NITOTv to see if Kodi needed updated and it says its not even installed!? So when I try to install I see a message at the end that says "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure-{ correct the problem"

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
you need to open the atv2 up with the program putty. (password is alpine) then type in that command (dpkg --configure-) and hit enter.
then your appleTV will update properly.