Kodi Appearance Menu (under Systems setting) Disappeared!

noslomp

Aug 31, 2014
hello, my kodi appearance menu (under systems setting) disappeared! so I cannot change skin to confluence :(

please help!

see image:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
What version of Kodi did you install? On what system?

I suggest that you delete, or at least move, the guisettings.xml file from your userdata folder.
It may be that this file has been corrupted.

noslomp

Aug 31, 2014
thx ravrob! im using 16.1 on win8.1. i've renamed guisettings.xml to guisettings-old.xml, and restarted kodi, I've also deleted it and restarted kodi but still the same problem! and yes i do 17.3 on a separate machine but on this old one, i prefer keeping 16.1, for testing.

short of re-installing 16.1 again, is there another way to get around this issue?

thx

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Try running it in portable mode and see if that 'fixes' it, if it does then the problem is a corrupt database or other file that needs to be cleaned off the computer in the traditional userdata location...

Follow my instruction in this thread for doing a portable install for testing...

cannot download using Ex**us

noslomp

Aug 31, 2014
Update: a new install of Kodi and launching in portable mode did work and I can now see "Appearance", BUT copying the new my guisetting.xml and replacing the old one in the original install, still didn't do the trick!!

So there may be other file(s) that have been corrupted and need to be replaced. Any thoughts how to find those "culprit files" and/or what else I could do to fix this problem in my original install? I don't want to have to re-install all my addons etc... in the new kodi-install dir. Thanks!

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I don't know of any way to find the corrupt file(s) without trial an error one by one replacement, and for some you can't just delete them as they won't be 'stock'...

Sorry to say it but the best course of action now is to entirely nuke your Kodi install aka manually remove the default userdata entirely on the computer and start new... Chances are you will spend less time completely rebuilding your Kodi then you will trying to track down the corrupt file and that assumes you can repair the corrupt file, if it's a FUBAR database loaded with information chances are slim you will be able to fix it properly...

Last edited:

Vmc63

May 21, 2017
Just to say hi from vmc63 new to forums as you see sorry posting here if not allowed