KODI-Capable Device To Run Richest High Def Streams?

Swanson

Dec 15, 2014
As a US resident, I recently discovered the joy of watching the many RICH high def UK streams with the use of a VPN. The picture quality can be absolutely spectacular -- if you can obtain it without buffering killing the experience.

I have found that I can defeat the buffering issue on my brand new Macbook Pro -- but probably because it sports a robust 8 GB of RAM Memory. The same stream using the same VPN source buffers mercilessly on the Fire TV.

While I would LOVE to be able to run these same High Def streams on my FTV, I fear that the 2 GB of RAM is just not sufficient since the buffering is impossible to overcome.

If I wanted to purchase a KODI-capable device that would have two to four times the processing power of the FIRE TV, what would those-in-the-know recommend?

Swanson

Dec 15, 2014
I have tried many boxes and the nvidea shield is the way to go.
Thanks for the response, tomh2o. Can you expand just a bit as to why, of all the boxes you've tried, you recommend this one so highly?

I have read of issues concerning relative cost and the fact that it does not come with a remote, but not as many proclaiming its overall superiority if you are not a gamer. As someone who seems to have tried many different devices, you obviously see some key features of the nvidea shield.

Can you share them?

tomh2o

Sep 30, 2012
well its the speed over all. I went through all the addons that you can set the source and set them all hd sources. I have 1 16 meg line , I never had one problem. going threw the menu's is killer fast.
I looked up 4k videos on it in youtube, hit and play no problem.
I ended up selling mine but I have many more coming.
I have the fir tv also is fast but when you have a problem I just start all over with it.
I didn t get the remote yet but I have it coming.

Swanson

Dec 15, 2014
Sounds impressive. Since the remote costs another $50, what are the other options to control the player?

Thanks again for all your info.

Cain

Jun 20, 2015
I've also tried other boxes and the nVidia Shield is the way to go.

Get the Basic Amazon Fire TV remote, it is a perfect companion for KODI on the Shield.

lshizzle

Dec 30, 2013
Just Bought a shield, right now the remote is only $25 with the shield. The grid gaming and game streaming is a huge plus for the shield. being 4k ready is awesome too. Ill make a thread when i get it all installed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Kodi Support 1
T Kodi Support 2
C Kodi Skins 2