Kodi Dependency On TVAddons

TVJunky

Nov 12, 2018
I'm confused. Why is it that when TVAddons' server is down, Kodi doesn't work? I thought that Kodi was a stand alone platform. Is it possible to run Kodi without it being dependent on TVAddons? If so, how? Thanks.

TVJunky

Nov 12, 2018
Well...TVAddons server just went down resulting in none of my Kodi addons to work. That's why I am wondering how the two are connected and can they be unconnected so that when the TVAddons server goes down I can still get my Kodi addons to work. Any help on this would be appreciated.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
What addon are you using? I have been using Kodi for the better part of 6 years and never had such an issue. I also have very seldom seen the TVAddons servers go down.

TVJunky

Nov 12, 2018
When I open Kodi, the first thing that shows up is the TVAddons screen...then after a few seconds it goes to Kodi. Shouldn't Kodi just open up on its own?

When it does open, I typically use the BUYIPTV addon. If TVAddons goes down, so does my connection to BUYIPTV.

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
The "tvaddon screen" is just a startup splash screen thats shown after you run the tvaddons wizard.
It gets downloaded to your device during the wizard install.
It gets set as default instead of using the default Kodi splash screen
So Kodi is opening on its own just with a different splash screen. Thats all
It has nothing to do with the tvaddons servers after the initial install.
It sounds more like that addon (or its servers) might be giving you the trouble.
I dont think that addon is supported here though. You might have to google it.

Edit
unless your talking about the tvaddons notifications popup.
Which you have to click closed and can be turned off in indigo. (ie opt-out)
That uses the tva servers to get a short message to display, but will not effect any other addons or their ability to connect to what they are trying to connect to.
The note (Indigo, if thats what you mean) isnt connected to the other addons either.
unless your dropping your internet connection.
Other than that they arent connected in any way.
So how do you know that the "tva servers" are down?

Last edited:

TVJunky

Nov 12, 2018
Thanks Shinzin for your response. That makes sense about the splash screen. Now as far as the TVAddons notifications popup, it comes up from time to time with special notices. However, the TVAddons popup also comes on when it states that their servers are down. When I get that message, I can't connect to any of my IPTV accounts through Kodi. They are somehow linked together. I have two IPTV accounts from different sources. Both of them don't work when I get the message from TVAddons that their servers are down.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
When I open Kodi, the first thing that shows up is the TVAddons screen...then after a few seconds it goes to Kodi. Shouldn't Kodi just open up on its own?

When it does open, I typically use the BUYIPTV addon. If TVAddons goes down, so does my connection to BUYIPTV.
We do not advertize to buy IPTV of any type. AMOF we discourage people in buying IPTV. So I doubt it has anything to do with us. Again please post screen shot of this.

Last edited:

Shinzin

Staff member
Feb 16, 2017
Ah ok, thats making more sense now.
Yeah the note only gets the message from the tva server.
If it cant connect to it then it pops up that message (its hard coded in that way)
It doesnt do anything other than that.
What might be happening is that your dropping your internet connection, or connectivity, and none of the addons are getting through.
Especially if your using wifi.
Thats the only way that the note and/or other addons are linked :)
Even within indigo itself, if the note doesnt work (cant connect to the message file on the server) it doesnt effect any other parts of indigo.
This is because different parts of indigo connect to different tva servers (or other servers).
Just like the addons connect to different servers than those of TVA.
The only thing that they all have in common is your internet connection.
Your modem/router controls your internet connection not Indigo, any addon, or even kodi.
They all connect separately and independently from each other.
So that means if one server goes down it dosent effect any other connection or connectivity.
But if your internet goes down, or if your device/computer losses its connection, then none of them will work.
Its just that indigo (the note) will tell you if it cant connect to its own server, or read the message file thats on it.

Edit
if your using wifi, try moving your router or the device so that they are closer together.
You might have a weak wifi signal

Last edited:

TVJunky

Nov 12, 2018
Stellar response Shinzin...thanks for helping me to understand how this all works. Greatly appreciated!