Kodi Jarvis update: strange video color.

chief

Feb 15, 2016
i updated Kodi to the latest version, Jarvis, and whilst my homescreen colors are good, if i open a stream in any addon the video colors are funky. people are yellow-ish and overall the screen is more grey-ish..

it's only with video playback, homescreen and such are without any problems.

i'm using win7 and had not have any problems before upgrade..

(also i'm noticing a higher cpu usage with 16.0 when idle..)

HenryS

Feb 27, 2016
Mine too,
windows 10 on an Asus EEEPC1215.
same symptoms after Jarvis install.
I tried uninstall then reinstall all the settings on my graphics card and video settings in Kodi.
I've had Kodi for a year without any issue on the same machine?
Video seems to stream well, even HD plays fine except an absence of red and flickering Blue then Green casts occasionally going full monochrome.
Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong? Help appreciated!

chief

Feb 15, 2016
seems more have this problem and no one has an answer right now... :confused:
over at kodi forums there is no help yet. i think eventually the problem will be fixed, but till that time i'm back to kodi 15.
(and new problems there that weren't before...)

strange thing is on my android box it updated without any problems...

and i'm glad i didn't update my laptop to jarvis jet.. :rolleyes:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Could it be a video driver problem? Have you tried updated your drivers to the latest? I have been using Jarvis since the Alpha 1 release and never had problems on my 2 Windows 10 systems.

chief

Feb 15, 2016
drivers are up to date, directX is up to date..

problem is only in jarvis, earlier versions of kodi do not give any video problems..

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Strange the only difference I was aware of was the DirectX upgrade to DirectX 11

Have you tried adjusting the output quantization in the driver settings to either full or limited to see if it makes any difference ?

chief

Feb 15, 2016
output quantization.................. :confused:

never heard of it, so never changed a thing..

i could try that...... if i could find output quantization, anywhere in the driver settings... but my system is Dutch not English, so i guess i'll try to search for a translation. lol

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I could be wrong but what I was getting at is.. if colours seem washed out and the black level is no longer as black as it was before, it sounds like the RGB is outputting in limited rather than full range. There should be a setting somewhere... Im pretty sure it's due to the DirectX upgrade.

Tharago

Mar 8, 2016
I experienced exactly the same problem. (Radeon R9 Series with Driver 15.11).

Please disable DXVA2 acceleration in Kodi Video Settings. There seems to be a bug in DX11 implementation. Using the limited Color-Space toggle only makes the problem worse.

chief

Feb 15, 2016
I experienced exactly the same problem. (Radeon R9 Series with Driver 15.11).

Please disable DXVA2 acceleration in Kodi Video Settings. There seems to be a bug in DX11 implementation. Using the limited Color-Space toggle only makes the problem worse.
when i upgrade again i will try this.

HenryS

Feb 27, 2016
Answer that works

i updated Kodi to the latest version, Jarvis, and whilst my homescreen colors are good, if i open a stream in any addon the video colors are funky. people are yellow-ish and overall the screen is more grey-ish..

it's only with video playback, homescreen and such are without any problems.

i'm using win7 and had not have any problems before upgrade..

(also i'm noticing a higher cpu usage with 16.0 when idle..)
I found this from one of the Kodi Team on the Forum topics, so by now so might you?
A simple setting change to end this perplexing issue? YES!
Anyway it appears to be a graphics card compatibility problem where older cards don't support Hardware acceleration DXVA2.
Solution:-
In System, Settings, Video , Acceleration, Change Render Mode from DXVA2 to Software and Acceleration Mode to DXVA2.
Sounded counter intuitive to me too, but that's why Kodi Team are the experts, Kodi: Rock-On forever, you are the GREATEST!
Love Jarvis it is Solid!

HenryS

Feb 27, 2016
Too many people ready to knock Kodi on here the moment something hits a snag.
The truth is the Kodi team provide an amazing "Free" service, their technical support via forum answers shows a remarkable dedication to the project by so many.
So let's stop taking them for granted.
The thing with problems is there's always somebody clever enough to find a solution!
Kodi Team, on behalf of us all Thank You!

chief

Feb 15, 2016
I found this from one of the Kodi Team on the Forum topics, so by now so might you?
A simple setting change to end this perplexing issue? YES!
Anyway it appears to be a graphics card compatibility problem where older cards don't support Hardware acceleration DXVA2.
Solution:-
In System, Settings, Video , Acceleration, Change Render Mode from DXVA2 to Software and Acceleration Mode to DXVA2.
Sounded counter intuitive to me too, but that's why Kodi Team are the experts, Kodi: Rock-On forever, you are the GREATEST!
Love Jarvis it is Solid!
found that tip on the kodi forums and tried that already.:cool:
but sadly it didn't change a thing.

Too many people ready to knock Kodi on here the moment something hits a snag.
The truth is the Kodi team provide an amazing "Free" service, their technical support via forum answers shows a remarkable dedication to the project by so many.
So let's stop taking them for granted.
The thing with problems is there's always somebody clever enough to find a solution!
Kodi Team, on behalf of us all Thank You!

i'm not trying to knock on kodi.. hell no! i search for a solution to a problem, and if the kodi or tvaddons forums can't help me i don't mind. if there are just a few with a particular problem i can fully understand why it's on the bottom of the list for dev's. and understand if it is not even on the list. i am content with using an older kodi version instead of jarvis so i can enjoy kodi to the fullest as i can.

and yups i''m with you to thank the kodi team as well as all de devs from tvaddons!