Kodi on Chromebook

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
My friend put Kodi on my new Chromebook for me. But since it can't unzip files and Kodi addons are zip files, is there a way to use Kodi and your awesome addons. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
From within Kodi, go to Addon, install from Zip. Kodi will read the zip file and install the content regardless that your box can't unzip. That's the way it works.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
IAW Google it can access the Play store but it looks like it is it's own OS. A Chrome OS. I have a friend who just got one. I will be playing with it in the next few days. I'll know more about how it works.

Last edited:

Ojib

Oct 5, 2014
I have Kodi on my Acer Chromebook you need to have OS 53 or higher and best to install Kodi from Google Playstore Krypton is the only version. It plays but a little buggy. You'll don't need to install Indigo to get Addons but you need to get Fusion Installer from Add Sources. Like I said it works but a little buggy......

Last edited:

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
I ended up keeping it simple and got a Windows 10 tablet. And I show Kodi and addons (only from tvaddons.co) to everyone.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
IAW Google it can access the Play store but it looks like it is it's own OS. A Chrome OS.
As said, Chrome OS version 53 and above is now Android compatible, but like all Android devices functionality might vary for any given Android app due to the actual hardware and slight differences in the OS just like Fire OS is quirky sometimes but will run most Android apps...

You can also sideload Android apps on Chrome OS so you are not necessarily limited to the Krypton in the Play store if you want to download a legacy version from the Kodi website...

Bobfather

Dec 13, 2014
I have an external drive. Can I put Kodi on that and plug it into my Chromebook. If so does it matter which version I use (Windows, Android etc.) Thank you.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
If you have Chrome OS version 53 or newer, just go to the Play Store and install Kodi on the Chromebook...

You would have to put the Chromebook into developer mode to side load Android apps, and when doing so it mandates the entire Chrome book be erased to factory new, wiping out everything you have installed or saved on the device, so IMO too much trouble when you can just install from the Play Store...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Kodi Support 2
C Kodi Skins 2
F Kodi Support 0