Kodi Playback Issues

justwanttostream

Aug 6, 2015
Hi,

Wasn't sure where else to post this, the actual Kodi forums are down at the moment. Everytime I play a show on Kodi while playing, and without me touching anything, it freezes and frame by frame will rewind. It looks like someone is incessantly pushing the rewind button.

I thought it was my mouse so I got a new one, same issue. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you fix it?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Hi,

Wasn't sure where else to post this, the actual Kodi forums are down at the moment. Everytime I play a show on Kodi while playing, and without me touching anything, it freezes and frame by frame will rewind. It looks like someone is incessantly pushing the rewind button.

I thought it was my mouse so I got a new one, same issue. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you fix it?
Never heard of this one. Is this while streaming only? Have you tried to play local video? Is it the same? What device are you using? What version of Kodi are you using? What addon are you using when this happens? Are you hard wired or WiFi?

justwanttostream

Aug 6, 2015
Press O and have a look what's going on in the codec info, i.e.vq/Cache

So i'm not very good with computer speak, but I tried that and got this:

D(Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s)
P(aq: 0%, Kb/s:39.96, att:0.0 dB)

D(Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637611), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR16:9], 1572 kb/s)
P(fr:23.976, vq: 0%, dc:ff-h264dxva2, Mb/s:0.95, drop:1, skip:5, pc:none)

C(ad:0.000, a/v: 0.017, edl:-, dcpu: 0% acpu: 0% vcpu: 0% cache: 0 B 0%)
W(CPU0: 85% CPU1: 24%)

So I have no idea what any of that means...

I am running Kodi on a PC (windows 7), Isengard version, streaming from genesis. I am running on Wifi as well.
I have tried running a regular video that I've downloaded and have no issue, this only happens when on Kodi.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Basically, where it says vq: 0% and cache: 0 B 0% that means that there's no stream being sent to your device (or it's not being sent/received quick enough to play smoothly), hence it's no longer playing. On older versions of Kodi, it would freeze and buffer, on the new version it seems to slow down as you described. So essentially you have an issue with buffering :)

clayw1pi

Jun 2, 2014
South Central Florida
If you are using Kodi 15 and on a Windows computer, you may try this: Go to System, Video and under Acceleration, disable the hardware setting. This was the fix for me when the picture would freeze but the audio played on. Good luck.

fish#35

Oct 12, 2015
What if your video keeps going, but the Audio is in and out?? Should I try the same thing

taz11111111

Feb 11, 2014
Dear Mr kodi man I'm having really bad issues trying to get videos to play on my system I am currently using a bent stick with a paper clip and a piece of string do you think if I put a cotton bud on the end it will stop my buffering issues or is it time for a system upgrade and a better service provider maybe if I place a cheese grater on top of the toaster that might help will let you know how that works out for me. kodi do an awesome job I have a good system and rarely have issues maybe if your struggling to get a smooth stream try a mq stream not an hq or 1080
P's. Sorry for being a bit silly but at least I tried to entertain you while you were waiting for your movie to buffer ;)