Kodi should i get vpn?

wwwbust

Sep 3, 2015
Do i really need a vpn if so what or the reasons and other question operating Kodi on 3 Mac devices. Two Mac Mini's each connected to my HD TV's and the other is my Macbook Air. If I purchase IP Vanish, must I purchase a separate subscription for each device or can I excess the software for all? Thanks in advance for answering my question :)

Last edited:

zoro

Nov 25, 2014
Generally is not necesary to be behing of vpn to run kodi. I dont know if at your country the isps are blocking web pages in that case the vpn would help you a lot to bypass those restrictions.
What vpn offer you is *privacy* you can bypass restriction from your isp, you can bypass geoblocking restrictions e.t.c.
The ipvanish you are mention allow you to install their software at whatever device you wish but only 2 at the same time can use the vpn connection

Landrover

Dec 1, 2014
Do i really need a vpn if so what or the reasons and other question operating Kodi on 3 Mac devices. Two Mac Mini's each connected to my HD TV's and the other is my Macbook Air. If I purchase IP Vanish, must I purchase a separate subscription for each device or can I excess the software for all? Thanks in advance for answering my question :)
You may want to wait depending on what provider service you hope to access by using a VPN. I currently use a very popular service to access Netflix and Hulu from outside the US, however as of Saturday (March 26) Netflix is blocking this service. Upon logging in to the US library I am receiving the following message:

"You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help visit Netflix.com/proxy."

It would appear that Netflix has stepped up their game. I imagine Hulu will soon follow.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I am not geoblocked and therefore do not need a VPN for the purpose of watching what ever worldwide. However, if I still use one for the times when I wish to download using torrents or using addons on Kodi that use torrents. I only use mine a few times a year but for those times, I believe it is well worth the few $$$ a year it costs.

Landrover

Dec 1, 2014
I am not geoblocked and therefore do not need a VPN for the purpose of watching what ever worldwide. However, if I still use one for the times when I wish to download using torrents or using addons on Kodi that use torrents. I only use mine a few times a year but for those times, I believe it is well worth the few $$$ a year it costs.
I just wanted to make sure that wwwbust was aware of the latest efforts by Netflix to counter act a VPN or unblocker use by its legitimate subscribers.

I would agree with you many Kodi apps are not geoblocked and much of Netflix and similar content can be found through other sources.

Last edited:

wwwbust

Sep 3, 2015
I could be running Ic*f*lms and etc could your internet service previder shut your high speed cable off. by using torrents addons? or if your streaming to much they might be suspicious? I might be using this torrents stuff every day then do you think i should get vpn? if so which vpn is good for this and not log? and i'm using respberry pi mostly how hard is it to add a vpn to it? i'm from usa

Last edited:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Not many torrents addons on Kodi. Quasar is one, torrenter is another. There are one or two more but most are not Torrents. Your ISP doesn't keep track of your streaming habits on anything other than torrents. But for peace of mind, use one if you want. As I said, I do once in a while, not only when streaming, but also when I download from torrents or when I want to access some warez forums and want to remain anonymous.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Video Addons 1
M Kodi Support 2
W Kodi Support 3