Looking for a Linux based HTPC device

xbh

Mar 12, 2014
Looking for a Linux/Android based HTPC device

Hello,

I'm a newbie when it come to HTPC. But I've had some experience with XBMC playing on SoC based TV player. I realized that HTPC is a better choice for XBMC.

I'm looking around online. Can people out here using various HTPC devices suggest a good Linux/Android based HTPC device(s)?

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
There are lots of choices. if you want android on a set top box, a few of the better ones are aftv, gbox, ouya...
if you want linux there are openelec builds for gbox and many other set tops.
if you want a htpc then you would want something like a dual core 2.4Ghz 2G ram PC or better and use an ubuntu based os. Just read around in the hardware section. Opinions very, but there are a lot of them out there

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Please dont post links on the forum to places advertising/selling/linking to selling goods,especially after the all the posts you just made in rapid succession after joining in the last few minutes,then you make this post with these links

Just makes it look like you are here to spam or push people towards the website;)

Edit: i see you deleted your post but the reason you have given is complete nonsense
We do like helpful posts here,just not ones linking to items as i mentioned above and for the reasons mentioned

Last edited:

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I don't know where your location is which will effect the cost but as I've posted elsewhere for true HTPC performance don't buy Android go for X86 based PC hardware.
I don't use Linux but a NUC, Brix, Zbox, Chromebox plus a plethora or other prebuilt or self built relatively inexpensive hardware will give you a great Linux XBMC experience whether it is via openelec or a full blown Linux OS.
If you buy Android you will be dependent on someone taking the time or being bothered to hack a Linux distro specifically for that particular piece of hardware when every XBMC/kodi update comes out.

Minimag

Jul 25, 2013
I bought a HP Miroserver when you could get them quite cheaply here in the UK. It has served perfectly, and i would recommend it, but you will need a low profile graphic card. I have heard good reports on the NUC and may move to one of these in the future. I cannot comment on android as I have only used linux, but have had no problems with using Ubuntu with Xbmc

Mcord

Nov 30, 2012
I have a hp chromebox running standalone openelec. Coming from a raspberry pi then an ouya this device drastically out performs the other two

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I'd avoid Android completely and go for either Linux or Windows. I personally use Windows & it works great, despite what the Windows-haters might tell you! There is of course the expense of the Windows OS to take into account which may push you towards Linux, but either way I'd avoid Android like the plague :)

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I always suggest the OUYA for a solid, and stable, Android XBMC (or Kodi) Machine. THe only real issue that I will warn of is two-fold.

1) many people report issues with WIFI. Though, that said, I tend to run ALL KODI DEVICES on a tethered connection for the BEST STREAMING RESULTS.

2) It comes, by default, with a gamepad controller and NOT a media remote... though you can purchase the AMAZON FIRE TV REMOTE, the MELE F10 PRO, the HARMONY REMOTE...ect. It is a very easy limitation to overcome.

The fact that the SOFTWARE and FIRMWARE are completely custom built and BEYOND stable...have made this my favorite option.

All of this said...as you will see in EVERY SINGLE THREAD DESIGNED to answer this question reveals one thing: Everyone has a differing option. This is a great time to be alive as their are soooo many great options on the market.

avd

Jan 5, 2013
I always suggest the OUYA for a solid, and stable, Android XBMC (or Kodi) Machine. THe only real issue that I will warn of is two-fold.

1) many people report issues with WIFI. Though, that said, I tend to run ALL KODI DEVICES on a tethered connection for the BEST STREAMING RESULTS.

2) It comes, by default, with a gamepad controller and NOT a media remote... though you can purchase the AMAZON FIRE TV REMOTE, the MELE F10 PRO, the HARMONY REMOTE...ect. It is a very easy limitation to overcome.

The fact that the SOFTWARE and FIRMWARE are completely custom built and BEYOND stable...have made this my favorite option.

All of this said...as you will see in EVERY SINGLE THREAD DESIGNED to answer this question reveals one thing: Everyone has a differing option. This is a great time to be alive as their are soooo many great options on the market.

I have always been interested in the ouya but ended up with a mx2 box which is fine, a little slow with navigation around xbmc but faster than a rpi which I still have.

I am looking to upgrade and after seeing your post showgun has left me between 2 devices an m8 s802 quad core android box or the ouya. Have you used an m8?

Sorry for hijacking thread.

max90

Jun 28, 2014
I have always been interested in the ouya but ended up with a mx2 box which is fine, a little slow with navigation around xbmc but faster than a rpi which I still have.

I am looking to upgrade and after seeing your post showgun has left me between 2 devices an m8 s802 quad core android box or the ouya. Have you used an m8?

Sorry for hijacking thread.
I've gone from ouya to minix neo x8-h and the minix is much better, it's faster, silent (no fan), and doesn't crush black levels which the ouya does.

Frozin

Nov 1, 2012
I hate relying solely on streaming for an htpc. I prefer spending a extra 100 to 125 and putting together a small htpc with a terabyte hdd and use sickrage or nzbdrone and couchpotato. And I use the streaming addons such as genesis for the older programs and such. You can put one together quite easily, I found the hardest thing to find was a nice compact case that looked good.

I went with a foxconn celeron 1037u with integrated cpu onboard graphics. I've not had any problems playing HD and 3d content.

Mcord

Nov 30, 2012
I used an Ouya for close to a year. It far out performed my rasp pi regarding menus but I felt the picture from the ouya is a little to dark for me. I switched to a HP Chromebox running Openelec. Performance is night and day better than the ouya, menus have sped up significantly and the picture is better. For a $150 unit I am really pleased with it

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I hate relying solely on streaming for an htpc. I prefer spending a extra 100 to 125 and putting together a small htpc with a terabyte hdd and use sickrage or nzbdrone and couchpotato. And I use the streaming addons such as genesis for the older programs and such. You can put one together quite easily, I found the hardest thing to find was a nice compact case that looked good.

I went with a foxconn celeron 1037u with integrated cpu onboard graphics. I've not had any problems playing HD and 3d content.
This is pretty much me, I'm not sure what currency you're talking in but my current main HTPC cost less than that amount if we're talking £'s extra over any current Android/Fire OS box,
and its performance walks all over any of them :)
Like you I use Genesis for catching up on older shows I may have missed or haven't downloaded.
Its a shame more people don't know how easy it is to put together your own proper HTPC, following a couple of basic precautions and doing a little research these days its almost idiot proof.