Looking for advice on New HTPC

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
At the moment i have ATV2 and it is at the point where i am looking to get something a lot faster.
I have seen lots of reviews on Intel NUC and am very interested in getting one.
Problem is which would be the best one to go for.
I will only use it for XBMC/KODI as a Media centre. Would like it to be able to boot from remote control button (like ATV2)
I dont want to install Openelec or RaspXBMC as i have made a small modification to show a sub heading under videos
that opens a list of shows i am currently watching. And i believe that every time one of these distros boots, it puts it back to how it was.
I would like to install Linux ?? (which one would be best) Ubuntu, Mint17 etc
What remote would be best (i would like something similar to the Apple TV) as i like the simple controls.
I dont want a remote with so many buttons , that i have to look at the control to select something.
As i would be using Linux, would anyone know of or have a script that would boot Linux directly into XBMC/KODI

My budget is approx £150 - £250 GBP

I really hope someone can help, because there are so many things to choose and i dont want to get something then find its not what i wanted.

Would be good if a thread could be created to show off different builds etc with remotes and specs

many thanks

k_zeon

Frozin

Nov 1, 2012
You won't need a script to put into linux, just switch the desktop to xbmc and it will boot into xbmc. Xbmcubuntu seems to be the easiest to use.

Hardware id use Is a mini itx intel celeron 1.8 ghz, 4 gigs ram, 1tb hdd. With flirc running lubuntu.
Total cost was a little over 200 usd.
It hasn't had any problems playing the media, 3d included.

Last edited:

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
You won't need a script to put into linux, just switch the desktop to xbmc and it will boot into xbmc. Xbmcubuntu seems to be the easiest to use.

Hardware id use Is a mini itx intel celeron 1.8 ghz, 4 gigs ram, 1tb hdd. With flirc running lubuntu.
Total cost was a little over 200 usd.
It hasn't had any problems playing the media, 3d included.
Hi Frozin. thanks for reply. A few other things would be power consumption. want something that is very low. Also as mentioned would be to start device from remote. Would also prefer built in remote IR capabilities

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
This doesn't tick many of your boxes but at the mo its the best bang for buck pre-built hardware I can find if you're in the UK,
its 170 quid (bar 2p) comes with Windows 8.1 with Bing, not as small as a NUC but is mini itx and only 17W TDP

Code:
http://www.ebuyer.com/643322-zoostorm-desktop-pc-bing-7260-8003
You would have to look up if the hardware is capable of booting from standby via remote but I would guess it could probably do that from sleep mode.

If you don't need so much storage space and given your requirements I'd push the boat out and get the best NUC available in your budget with an SSD rather than standard hard drive and install xbmcbuntu which would give you a ubuntu install that boots straight into XBMC

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
This doesn't tick many of your boxes but at the mo its the best bang for buck pre-built hardware I can find if you're in the UK,
its 170 quid (bar 2p) comes with Windows 8.1 with Bing, not as small as a NUC but is mini itx and only 17W TDP

Code:
http://www.ebuyer.com/643322-zoostorm-desktop-pc-bing-7260-8003
You would have to look up if the hardware is capable of booting from standby via remote but I would guess it could probably do that from sleep mode.

If you don't need so much storage space and given your requirements I'd push the boat out and get the best NUC available in your budget with an SSD rather than standard hard drive and install xbmcbuntu which would give you a ubuntu install that boots straight into XBMC
Hi Stammie. appreciate your time. I had seen this one. Didn't know if its fanless though and also i dont think IR is built in.
I am thinking of going down the NUC route. but there are too many to choose from. I will probably go with XBMCbuntu , however just seen a Youtube tutorial of how to install. Dont know how old this video is , but the guy had to create partitions, swap partitions, temp partitions etc and eventually installed. Is the install a bit more streamline now or would i need to do all this before installing.

Also i had seen a black remote similar to the ATV2 but cannot remember where i saw it.
Is there a good site for remotes that work out of the box with XBMCBuntu and not looking for a remote like a TV remote with lots and lots of buttons.

Still looking for a system that operates similar to the Apple TV2.

many thanks

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I personally use this very cheap remote
Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88G-USB-Computer-Remote-Control-Media-Centre-Controller-PC-Laptop-Win-7-Vista-/261234427838?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item3cd2c907be
Its very simple but does the job and its mce compatible so even though I'm not very au fait at all with Linux should work with Ubuntu and other distros, although it does connect via a USB dongle that comes with it rather than from inbuilt ir

I haven't tried xbmcbuntu for a long time but the last time I installed it was a pretty straight forward operation and a hell of a lot quicker than installing Windows, and I didn't have to do any partition swapping or creating temp partitions, I just had to choose which partition to install to and the installer did the rest.

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
Right, after quite a lot of reading, i am tempted to go with

Does anyone have any opinions or advise on this model. I have looked at the i3 version
and while it would be great, money is not really flowing to be able to get one.

This is the more expensive version.

Last edited by a moderator:

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
1) no direct links.

2) DEFINATELY NO PAID LINKS.

There were links posted here that appeared as Amazon bit directed other sites and paid someone per click. This isn't allowed.

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
1) no direct links.

2) DEFINATELY NO PAID LINKS.

There were links posted here that appeared as Amazon bit directed other sites and paid someone per click. This isn't allowed.
sorry, didn't realize. Just wanted to know if the remote would work with the Nuc i am buying.
thought a link was best way for someone to know which remote i was asking about.
sorry for any trouble

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I dont want to install Openelec or RaspXBMC as i have made a small modification to show a sub heading under videos
that opens a list of shows i am currently watching. And i believe that every time one of these distros boots, it puts it back to how it was.

k_zeon
I'd go with all the advice posted but no need to discount Openelec for the reason you stated. I think you've got confused with a Live CD install that some distros do. Openelec will keep changes after a reboot. It's running on my heavily modified Raspberry Pi

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
I'd go with all the advice posted but no need to discount Openelec for the reason you stated. I think you've got confused with a Live CD install that some distros do. Openelec will keep changes after a reboot. It's running on my heavily modified Raspberry Pi
Hi and thanks for reply. I thought that the Openelec & RaspXBMC's were closed systems. I have RPi and was under the impression that any changes to the main code would revert back.

Ie on the main XBMC page, i have added code to the xml to add a sub menu called Favs under Videos. I have it so that
when i click, i get a short list of tv shows that i am currently watching.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I've tried answering you several times but I kept getting the server error message,
I think you'll be happy with one of the celeron NUC's, one will be a vast improvement over what you're used to with an ATV2

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
I've tried answering you several times but I kept getting the server error message,
I think you'll be happy with one of the celeron NUC's, one will be a vast improvement over what you're used to with an ATV2
Hi Stammie. thanks. have ordered it and just waiting. I am also looking at a simple remote, something like the XB05 xbox controller.
do you know if this would work with the NUC. I have tried to find details on it but not much luck.

Because of the Apple TV 2 silver remote, i have been spoiled by the simplicity of it. And i don't have to look at what buttons i am pressing.
Its so easy to use. (would it be possible to use AppleTV2 remote with the NUC)

Any suggestions on remotes..

tks

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
As I posted previously I just use the cheap RC in that post which is reasonably simple, I'm not up with the latest ones available and this is the simplest looking one I can find after a quick search

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDHELD-WIRELESS-AIR-MOUSE-USB-REMOTE-PC-GOOGLE-ANDROID-TV-3D-MOTION-GAME-CK-A/111478362249?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3De861e5fd199a4010b9d15ab79e41991b%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D171362738654

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
As I posted previously I just use the cheap RC in that post which is reasonably simple, I'm not up with the latest ones available and this is the simplest looking one I can find after a quick search

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDHELD-WIRELESS-AIR-MOUSE-USB-REMOTE-PC-GOOGLE-ANDROID-TV-3D-MOTION-GAME-CK-A/111478362249?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3De861e5fd199a4010b9d15ab79e41991b%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D171362738654
ok, thanks. was just looking for somthing similar to the ATV2 silver remote.
again, thanks for taking the time