Looking for creative suggestions, Kodi, VPN and more

lost one

Oct 4, 2016
I'm stuck and can't figure out how to how to configure things and need some creative ideas. This may not be possible, and I'm not going to be surprised to hear this.

I have several android boxes which have things like Prime, Netflix and Kodi installed. Currently I have the router configured to route all android's traffic though the VPN, but Netflix no longer accepts proxy (VPN) traffic. My wife needs her Netflix so the VPN has been disabled and I don't want to tell her there's only one device that she can use for Netflix (bypass router VPN). I'd like to use the VPN for Kodi and not anything else, but also have this be an automatic thing.

Is it possible to configure only Kodi traffic go through the VPN while Netflix and other apps can bypass it?
One option I've though about is creating a local proxy on a Linux device configured to route through the VPN and have Kodi use that local proxy. But I'm hoping for something which doesn't require an additional device.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
First off who is your VPN provider. You need to make sure that your VPN provider will except multiple devices at once ! Otherwise your get blacklisted by your provider (I know PIA excepts 5, not sure about others).

Most providers have a Android app you could just use this before running kodi then disconnect it when finished, I'm not sure how you would automate it with Android I've never had a Android box

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

lost one

Oct 4, 2016
Thanks, it's PIA and there is an app I can load but that's just an extra step I will likely forget because I can't see a way for kodi to launch it.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I know it can be done on Android as Spoyser has managed it with his Vpn (found on the kodi forums). Maybe worth looking into. Trouble is I think IPVanish only allow 1 connection per account at a time :(

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk