Looking to build a PC only for XBMC.. help please...

EwOkiE

Dec 15, 2013
Ok as the title suggests was going to get some old PC stuff together to see if I could make a PC
Only for XBMC and nothing more PVR

What I have so far is :

Q6600 & E6400 CPU
Socket 775 Motherboard
Wifi card
PSU
Graphics card if needed (Either Nvidia 8800 GT or MSi)

So what I want to know is this possible to just make it just for XBMC at boot up or do i need to add windows etc?
Whats the suggested Hard drive needed for the build

If this is in the wrong section, sorry please move ;)

Last edited:

EwOkiE

Dec 15, 2013
I was about to post another link until I seen your post, thanks :)

Here it is if anyone wants to look : HERE

EwOkiE

Dec 15, 2013
Ok just built the machine with old parts I have and looked at the links above...

Now....
1.If I just want XBMC and nothing more on this, just to switch on and boot straight away to XBMC with PVR option is this possible?

2.Same as above but with option to play DVD's?

Oh forgot to mention its a SFF Case the unit is in so the Graphics card I was going to use has been chucked and need to look for a low profile card maybe a HD 5450 what you think?

Thanks guys

EwOkiE

Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for the links Tonts

My friend just called me and has one of these cards will this fit in the Dell Optiplex 755 SFF

He forwarded me a link and says its the same as this ....
Cant check till Saturday.. do I hold off .. is this better?
LINK HERE

Last edited:

Tonts

Sep 22, 2013
Sesame Street
That card will be fine check if your friend still has the low profile adapter for it though. Also double check the dimensions the HD5450 is slightly smaller i think best do size comparison you can find dimensions on Amazon for each card.

Last edited:

EwOkiE

Dec 15, 2013
That card will be fine check if your friend still has the low profile adapter for it though.
So the Radeon 6450 card will be fine is it better than the other one I mentioned?
He has the Low Profile Bracket somewhere he says :D

Will Wifi be ok with this Dell as my router is a few metres away and cant run ethernet cable
Looking at the TP-Link TL-WN822N

Tonts

Sep 22, 2013
Sesame Street
Both of them cards require a 400W PSU by the way so check your PSU rating. Wireless is never as good as ethernet and check if you can run your chosen wireless adapter on the operating system you are using i.e. windows or linux? more specifically are there linux drivers available for chosen wireless adapter?.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Will Wifi be ok with this Dell as my router is a few metres away and cant run ethernet cable
Looking at the TP-Link TL-WN822N
I use that tp-link adaptor in my set up, they are great devices for the price, with a properly set up router I can stream full uncompressed blurays from my main pc to my bedroom pc with that attached in the bedroom

EwOkiE

Dec 15, 2013
Ok been messing about with this today...
Opted for the TP-LINK AV200 Nano Ethernet
As I tried USB Wifi Adaptors, just got drops out a few times even changing Channel numbers incase of interference
Changed the specs quite a bit.. :D
My mate wanted some of my components so we agreed and built this...
Dell Optiplex 755 SFF
Q6700 CPU
4GB OC Crossfire memory
60GB SATA HDD (Was going to put a 500GB in but no point really)
Reversed the Front CPU Fan (long life capacitors :cool:)
Stripped the Floppy Drive (not going to need it) and put the HDD in its place
Accessed by USB remote Control

Tried the onboard Graphics first... and wow.. picture seems good
System Info showed CPU 47C Temp
Still to try 2 cards, but not sure yet as I found other Low Profile one's :rolleyes:

2 issues I have just now...
1. Dont know if its because I did the thing with the HDD but now on boot up I need to hit the F1 key as it
says Alert Rear fan failure!... eh no rear fan plugged in :mad: (its the hdd fan it means and its working)
Because of this I need to keep a small keyboard next to it until i resolve the issue

2. Some channels or streams it buffers (occasionally)
Could be down to the onboard graphics or just the stream as the connection is fast and responsive

Let you know on how I get on or any tips you guys think I need

.oh... forgot to say
Have noticed before I touched the Optiplex theres a small white plug 3 pin coming from the psu dont know what it fits too?

Last edited:

Tonts

Sep 22, 2013
Sesame Street
Google F1 fan failure for that pc model, same for 3 pin wire you will need the spec or name or serial etc off the side of the PSU and possibly your mother board specs. Buffering is part and parcel of all film sites try a different link some better than others or download save and watch later bonus for doing that is you can do a couple at once and let it all happen while you are doing something else.