Low memory on fire tv

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014
I'm not sure how you guys are running out of space so fast.. I have Netflix and a few other things installed and xbmc. I have about 200 movies and 150 TV series including survivor(over 500 EPs) and a few other series with 500+ episodes and I'm only using a little over 2 gigs with xbmc.. With 2 gigs free total.. You guys must have massive collections?
Seriously any device has a specific amount of space to load stuff so its not like the firetv is unique in some way.

Last edited:

Paul1672

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not sure how you guys are running out of space so fast.. I have Netflix and a few other things installed and xbmc. I have about 200 movies and 150 TV series including survivor(over 500 EPs) and a few other series with 500+ episodes and I'm only using a little over 2 gigs with xbmc.. With 2 gigs free total.. You guys must have massive collections?
Seriously any device has a specific amount of space to load stuff so its not like the firetv is unique in some way.
For me personally, I think it's the games I installed plus google play store and the various programs. Was kinda shocked it filled up so fast but even after a factory reset I still only had 2 gb left after I had re-installed everything

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
This memory issue is truly a mystery. And to be clear, the memory issue is contained with the XBMC application in my cases.

I personally ran up against this message in just a few weeks. But I had downloaded maybe 60 movies and turned on the metadata scrapers as well. But I figured that I had created a bit of an artificial issue and never anticipated that others not downloading and not rooted could run into the same issue.

But they are!

Two friends whose Fire TV's I prepared before rooting was even possible just called and said that while they have not gotten any "warning" messages, their XBMC data file was reading 3.6 GB!

I have been trying to duplicate their "bloatation" situation by playing movies all day…. but not downloading anything. I am leaving FAN ART and METADATA "ON" -- just like their boxes.

So far after almost a week, my XBMC application is still only reading 676 MB.

I'm just stumped.

My set-up is so very basic that I can do an XBMC reset and set-up in less than 15 minutes.

But I DO worry about folks who will eventually get this Amazon Fire message, be prevented from even booting up XBMC… and then wonder what to do next.

Last edited:

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014
This memory issue is truly a mystery. And to be clear, the memory issue is contained with the XBMC application in my cases.
Well it shouldnt be a mystery.. simply look in the profile folder and see whats taking up room.. I suspect you friends may be enabling 0 cache via hub maintenance or a similar tool.. (with this set your machine basically downloads the whole movie your watching) or are downloading instead of streaming.

Last edited:

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
Well it shouldnt be a mystery.. simply look in the profile folder and see whats taking up room.. I suspect you friends may be enabling 0 cache via hub maintenance or a similar tool.. (with this set your machine basically downloads the whole movie your watching) or are downloading instead of streaming.
Thanks for chiming in, mastafunk.

Unless the default setting is "ZERO CACHE," that cannot be the case.

These two gents wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do, and are just too "frightened" to adjust any settings.

Interested in hearing from others who might be memory-affected.

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Are they running Ic*f*lms with Download in the background enabled by default? Or maybe some other plugin set to download in the background?

That big of a data size seems excessive. Are they running any specific plugins that you aren't? I use What the Furk often, which has it's own metadata collection that appears separate from the metadata collection that other plugins like 1Ch**nel, Ic*f*lms, Genesis, etc use. Maybe something like that?

And for the record, I had to erase and start from scratch twice with my ATV2, due to it filling up with metadata. I've had to do the same with my parent''s ATV2 as well. So that's not unheard of for ATV2. There were many threads about it back in the day.

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
Are they running Ic*f*lms with Download in the background enabled by default? Or maybe some other plugin set to download in the background?
I never even realized that Ic*f*lms, by default, is set to download in the background.

But what does that mean?

If there is no download path established, I would assume that no download is occurring….

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I was also an atv xbmc user and never even knew running xbmc could cause memory issues. im slowly getting bits of info such as saving thumbnails to external, but am seriously lacking a fundamental understanding of how xbmc works. Sounds dumb this far along but thought for streams it worked more or less the way lots of other streaming sites worked (never worried about posters and movie info for netflix)
If a guide/tutorial exists, it would be extremely valuable to learn more about setting it up xbmc to run efficiently on fire tv. Btw im just being proactive here. im not storing any games and very few apps. The memory is a little lower than id expect but no cause for alarm just yet. actually, since freezing kftv and installing 13.2b its running awesome. i want to keep it that way.

jmerrilljr

Jul 6, 2014
You are talking about storage? aftvnews (can't post the url,yet) has guides for pretty much everything. XBMC stores lots of thumbnails. The solution if you are rooted is to create an advancedsettings.xml file and move the thumbnail directory to an external drive.

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
What if you are NOT rooted?

I gifted some Fire TV's when they were first introduced and there was no root access possible.

What advice do I give to these folks to guard against filling their XBMC memory?

I disabled METADATA and FANART and despite verifying that these settings are in place, I STILL get Thumbnails searching for movies. What more can I do?

What do these friends do now that after almost 4 months their XBMC memories are reading over 3 GB? Can they relieve this without doing an XBMC reset?

And while crawl says he had this same issue with ATV's and indicates that it was discussed "back in the day," I've never had this issue with an ATV I gifted, nor have I seen it discussed in a current forum despite the fact that the Apple TV remains an XBMC workhorse.

There are TONS more ATV's running XBMC than Amazon FIRE TV's at this point. But I see nothing but discussions relating to FIRE TV memory issues.

Why is this the case if both devices are similarly affected?

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014

I gifted some Fire TV's when they were first introduced and there was no root access possible.

What advice do I give to these folks to guard against filling their XBMC memory?

I disabled METADATA and FANART and despite verifying that these settings are in place, I STILL get Thumbnails searching for movies. What more can I do?

What do these friends do now that after almost 4 months their XBMC memories are reading over 3 GB? Can they relieve this without doing an XBMC reset?

And while crawl says he had this same issue with ATV's and indicates that it was discussed "back in the day," I've never had this issue with an ATV I gifted, nor have I seen it discussed in a current forum despite the fact that the Apple TV remains an XBMC workhorse.

There are TONS more ATV's running XBMC than Amazon FIRE TV's at this point. But I see nothing but discussions relating to FIRE TV memory issues.

You will never solve your "mystery" until you look in the folder and actually see what's taking up space. I have been running xbmc on my firetv since late April and have a rather large library and still am just above two gigs. I would say and I think others would agree that the amount of data you are talking about is a non standard usage scenario. Even my xbmc on my PC which has been going for over a year since my last wipe is less then 3 gigs.

Examine the folder and let's see what's taking up so much space.
One of the xbmc devs told ya how on the xbmc forum.. I can add that ls -lH will give you a good idea of which folders have the most data.
I'm willing to bet they have downloaded a few movies. There is only a little over 5 gigs total on a firetv so just a few movies can break the bank.

Last edited:

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO

I don't believe you have much to worry about with non technical users potentially filling their units. I think the issue is being slightly overblown, due to a few individual cases that certainly aren't the norm. I wouldn't consider my case to be the norm by any means. And there are lots of ways to reduce the size. Many plugins let you choose the size of your metadata, so you can pick smaller thumbnails that don't take up as much space. You can even turn off metadata completely if you're that worried about it. Note that each plugin usually has its own metadata settings. So you'd have to turn off metadata in each plugin that uses it(might be why you're still accumulating thumbnails, there may be another addon downloading it but not displaying it, that you haven't turned off). You can also use the XBMCHub Maintenance tool to delete old addon packages, which usually clears up some space too.

Keep in mind that the AFTV warns you about storage when you still have 1GB of free storage left, so it's being very proactive in communicating the message. Many people might have less than 1GB of storage on their ATV2 right now and have no idea because the system isn't giving them popup warnings about it. I would also venture to guess that there are some low storage issues on many people's ATV2 that go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed because there is no popup warning. Things just quit working correctly across the spectrum and they cannot figure out how to fix it, so they completely erase and reinstall, which fixes the low storage issue they didn't realize they had.

Last edited:

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
I think I got to the bottom of my friends memory issues.

To recap, two buddies whose AFTV's I set up just over a month ago, reported that they were getting "low memory" messages. This was before the AFTV could be rooted so neither of these guys was downloading, changing settings, or doing ANYTHING, they said, except watching movies with their families.

They logically thought that choosing "clear data" made sense to solve the problem. And while it does solve the memory issue, clearing the data also clears all 3rd party addons and system settings. So more work for me.

It made no sense that their XBMC data files were reading almost 4 GB after just over 4 weeks!

I discovered the reason for this by accident. During a visit I saw that their kids, some too young to fully control the system, were having a great time just scrolling through all the THUMBNAILS from the many kids' collections their parents found. I watched as they went page after page, having animated discussions about each movie they saw or knew. For them, the THUMBNAILS themselves were a source of great entertainment.

A short experiment when I came home confirmed that THUMBNAILS! were at the root of the memory problem.

I ran 5 identical experiments, recording the memory impact of doing nothing more than looking at 200 thumbnails - 5 pages of SIMPLY MOVIE Thumbs.

I was amazed to discover that just looking at these thumbnails and then logging off resulted in an average increase of 33 MB! Just by perusing 5 pages of thumbs.

WATCHING movies won't affect memory nearly as much as tabbing through a bunch of thumbnails.

Who knew?

Last edited:

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Is there any way to completely prevent fan art from displaying during a search? I'm forced to keep a few apps installed for my kids and memory can quickly get tight.

I notice that despite having METADATA and FANART disabled, I still get a piece of fan art that displays even in a LIST VIEW.

Based on Maxie's experiment, I did the same memory measure with the art that displays with Metadata and Fanart disabled.

While the usage measured by tabbing through each title in list view was less -- about 11 MB viewing 200 titles, or 1/3 of the usage in the thumbnail view -- it is still not insignificant if the movie or TV search modes are used frequently.

Capri

Banned
Jun 24, 2014
Have a look in your skin settings. You should be able to disable fanart completely from there. I did this on my rasp pi.

noz

Feb 1, 2014
Asgard
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/xbmcthumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Paul[/QUOTE]

Hi all. Been looking with interest at this advanced setting for moving thumbnails on android. I already have an advanced settings file. My question is if i edit it and add above settings do i again add the "<advancedsettings>" lines or do i input the above between the previous lines in my original advanced settings file. Hope that makes sense. Apologies if a stupid question. Thanks in advance☺

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Hi all. Been looking with interest at this advanced setting for moving thumbnails on android. I already have an advanced settings file. My question is if i edit it and add above settings do i again add the "<advancedsettings>" lines or do i input the above between the previous lines in my original advanced settings file. Hope that makes sense. Apologies if a stupid question. Thanks in advance☺
Nah. If you already have this: <advancedsettings>STUFF</advancedsettings>

Just copy and paste the <pathsubstitution></pathsubstitution> part inside it, before or after the rest of the STUFF.

noz

Feb 1, 2014
Asgard
Nah. If you already have this: <advancedsettings>STUFF</advancedsettings>

Just copy and paste the <pathsubstitution></pathsubstitution> part inside it, before or after the rest of the STUFF.
Thought as much. Just wanted to make sure. Thank you kindly for the reply👍

Don_black

May 25, 2012
I am a savvy XBMC user, but like many of you have indicated. These memory increases due to thumbnails search, potentially can leave XBMC in a un-bootable state. I believe this matter should be escalated to the Kodi-team, so that in final releases, a favorable solution can be provided. STB's, are becoming more and more prevalent across the globe. The average user does not know how to edit the .xml files or how to properly root their devices. The memory leakage issue is a problem, along with the other issues XBMC. If we only discuss them in 3rd party forums and not escalate, how do they know that these issues need to be addressed. There are numerous ways the memory leakage from the thumbnail issue can be solved. Sorry, for my rant but in order to keep the XBMC community fluid, we have make it easier for the simplest end user or noob to be able to maximize their experience not always fixing that's is the job of developers and super users.

Last edited:

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014
I'm going to chime in again on this. I suspect there is something you guys are doing that isn't in the standard usage scenario..

My current ftv install was started in April of this year. I have 116 shows with 7,703 episodes, and 216 movies. I also browse new content regularly with metadata on.. I have all the art(logo/poster/banner/clearart/fanart/extra-fanart) for my library items.

My .xbmc folder is just over 2 gigs (2.1). This is from 5 months of browsing around and my library. I use and browse lots of plugins. All plugins have fanart/metadata enabled. I work from home so use this thing all day daily and at night with the family..

As I have suggested before peek in your userdata folder and see what's taking up space.

Last edited: