Low memory on fire tv

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
is there any other option for people? I have friends i talked into a fire and so far they have not seen this but if they see it they are going to freak and they are not rooted either?
Must be some way to delete all the thumbnail cache.

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014
Thanks for the response, so that substitution would look something like this then correct:

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://bignas1/media/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
This would be Correct.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
is there any other option for people? I have friends i talked into a fire and so far they have not seen this but if they see it they are going to freak and they are not rooted either?
Must be some way to delete all the thumbnail cache.
Yes... Via our Maintenance Tool . We have a LOT of extras for clearing memory on limited hardware.

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
I clear cache and packages from the maintenance add on weekly and i still get the message even when watching from my local NAS drive

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I'm not sure how you guys are running out of space so fast.. I have Netflix and a few other things installed and xbmc. I have about 200 movies and 150 TV series including survivor(over 500 EPs) and a few other series with 500+ episodes and I'm only using a little over 2 gigs with xbmc.. With 2 gigs free total.. You guys must have massive collections?
Seriously any device has a specific amount of space to load stuff so its not like the firetv is unique in some way.
The main issue for creating thumbs is the skin being used. I've seen skins such as aeon nox use 20-30GB's of memory.
I don't know exactly where the limit is set, if it's just because skins like aeon uses alot of gfx which all get cached no matter if there's a link to it in the database, or a bug in the skin itself. My friend was running this skin on a 30GB SSD drive and even though he deleted all thumbs and refreshed them in around a week the thumb folders was filling he's 30GB SSD drive up again.

This is not exactly a FireTV issue as these incidents are all on PC.

A good option is either to switch skin, to a less cache gfx intensive on; like Confluence or Amber and XBMC should keep ifself around 1GB. (I been running Amber since may without clearing anything on my FTV and the size is ~1GB)

Futhermore if you have root the trick given to use a harddrive for the thumbs is also an option.

If you have root you can go all the way if you like: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-use-a-usb-drive-as-the-fire-tvs-internal-storage/

There is also a texture maintenaince tool out there where out can purge all orphans (gfx that have no link's to anything in XBMC but has been cached just because you viewed them, which can fill up pretty much Space on the heavier skins) also this might behave different between which skin you are using since I usually do not have many of those (orphans) when running it once a month with confluence.

Link: http://kodi.wiki/view/Texture_Cache_Maintenance_utility

Last edited:

frankie13

Jun 19, 2013
any chance of a software update in the future that will fix this low memory warning for us thickies

offroad

Oct 16, 2013
Maintenance tool? What option? What exact tool name and menu? Does a REBOOT just clear everything ?

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
On mine what I had to do was go into file manager go to the user data folder and go to thumbnails and delete all the thumbnails then go to the userdata-database and delete the textures then quit xbmc and when you restart you will have a much smaller file. I had close to 2gb my total space of xbmc. After doing this I had 700mb.

ponghclub

Aug 3, 2014
I install appMgr lll (app to sd)... It's excellent app to clear cache in aftv make it run faster.

Flipmode

May 6, 2012
I just noticed this thread about the memory, Has anyone tried changing the fanartres and imageres size to reduce file sizes.

Swanson

Dec 15, 2014
On mine what I had to do was go into file manager go to the user data folder and go to thumbnails and delete all the thumbnails then go to the userdata-database and delete the textures then quit xbmc and when you restart you will have a much smaller file. I had close to 2gb my total space of xbmc. After doing this I had 700mb.
When you say "delete all the thumbnails," is OK to just select and delete the ENTIRE Thumbnail Folder?

Thanks for your help!

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
When you say "delete all the thumbnails," is OK to just select and delete the ENTIRE Thumbnail Folder?

Thanks for your help!
I do exactly what he said (delete entire thumbnails folder & textures13), but that's after I push my advanced settings to save all thumbnails to external. You need root for that. I've always been rooted so I never looked into it. I'd assume the thumbnails would regenerate after restarting, but I'm not sure.

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Yea they will regenerate as long as you delete the textures file. And I have no reason even rooted to push them somewhere else. Every since I deleted I have never gotten above 1gb again.
Don't delete the folder open it and Select all in the folder and delete

Banister

Nov 3, 2013
Yea they will regenerate as long as you delete the textures file. And I have no reason even rooted to push them somewhere else. Every since I deleted I have never gotten above 1gb again.
Don't delete the folder open it and Select all in the folder and delete
Thanks for your suggestion. I deleted the textures13, selected all the thumbnails and deleted them. I cut the total size down to 1.25 GB from a massive 2.37 GB and climbing.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I had this issue after about a month of use - Kodi was nearly 3Gb! As it's the kids' box I just deleted the data and started again (It doesn't take too long). I'm also baffled as to why we get this bloat on AFTV when I had an Apple TV running for 5 years without this problem.

Thanks for the thumbnails trick, I'll try it if I have the same problem again.

Flipmode

May 6, 2012
So I took this one step further from my post above. I have a feeling that the AFTV pulls thumbnails of the highest resolution/quality which in turn uses excessive storage. Other devices don't seem to have this problem and I am not sure if it is due to the fact devices like Apple TV can only handle 720p so it only downloads that resolution.

Anyways deleting the thumbnail and textures file is a Band-Aid to the real issue. I have used this advanced settings to see if it will minimize the amount of storage for thumbnails.

<advancedsettings>
<fanartres>720</fanartres>
<imageres>512</imageres>
</advancedsettings>

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
So I took this one step further from my post above. I have a feeling that the AFTV pulls thumbnails of the highest resolution/quality which in turn uses excessive storage. Other devices don't seem to have this problem and I am not sure if it is due to the fact devices like Apple TV can only handle 720p so it only downloads that resolution.

Anyways deleting the thumbnail and textures file is a Band-Aid to the real issue. I have used this advanced settings to see if it will minimize the amount of storage for thumbnails.

<advancedsettings>
<fanartres>720</fanartres>
<imageres>512</imageres>
</advancedsettings>
If you're talking about XBMC, it saves thumbnails in the same manner regardless of what device it's on. It's not saving thumbs on AFTV any differently than other devices.

And XBMC doesn't download thumbs unless a plugin tells it to. And most of the plugins that use thumbnails have settings for managing the size of the thumbnails. Go to the plugin settings themselves to edit the thumbnail size they're downloading.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Where do I put this advanced settings, and do I need to edit it in any way, or do I just put it in the proper folder, exactly the way it is?

<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>"