Low memory on fire tv

kingsama

Nov 25, 2014
Since installing Kodi on my firetv stick my install has swollen to nearly 3gigs. I checked the thumbnail folder which was just over 500mb, and the texture file was tiny. The TEMP folder however was 1.5 gigs and all of that was in files filecahe000.cache, filecache001.cache, filecache002, and filecache003.cache. Forgive my noobery, but what do these files do?

I regularly clear the cache view the built in menu and the maintenance tool yet these three files are still there. Is there a way to shrink them? can I simple delete them?

Jacksuarez7

Aug 17, 2012
Hi,

Quite a stupid question so please bear with me....experiencing the low storage issue, have unrooted firetv using xbmc 13.2 for about 4-5 months. No other games/apps (except llama/iKonotv/esfileexplorer) installed so I expect I am suffering from the thumbnail issue - also am using stock advanced settings so no 0 cache related issues. Am trying to find the bleeding thumbnail folder using Esfileexplorer but wonder if someone might give me the precise location - when I navigate through using fileexplorer I cannot find the xbmc data files - driving me mental. I have encouraged (and set up) a number of people to purchase firetv and no doubt I will be the one having to maintain them should they encounter this issue so I wonder has anyone found a neater solution for unrooted devices/relatively unsophisticated users (of which I am one)? I did the delete cache/purge packages etc from maintenance tools which helped somewhat but didn't clear too much space (even after a restart and a reboot) - any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks

dallasnights

May 6, 2012
Which files should we delete on the FiretV (Kodi) to fix the problem can someone provide us the directory
Thanks all

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
The Thumbnail folder is located here:

/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/

dallasnights

May 6, 2012
On the stick it says 1.97 GB available of 5.57GB
On Kodi it says memory used 86% Free Memory 67MB
Hope this data helps
Thanks

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Hi,

Quite a stupid question so please bear with me....experiencing the low storage issue, have unrooted firetv using xbmc 13.2 for about 4-5 months. No other games/apps (except llama/iKonotv/esfileexplorer) installed so I expect I am suffering from the thumbnail issue - also am using stock advanced settings so no 0 cache related issues. Am trying to find the bleeding thumbnail folder using Esfileexplorer but wonder if someone might give me the precise location - when I navigate through using fileexplorer I cannot find the xbmc data files - driving me mental. I have encouraged (and set up) a number of people to purchase firetv and no doubt I will be the one having to maintain them should they encounter this issue so I wonder has anyone found a neater solution for unrooted devices/relatively unsophisticated users (of which I am one)? I did the delete cache/purge packages etc from maintenance tools which helped somewhat but didn't clear too much space (even after a restart and a reboot) - any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks
If you are using the ES File Explorer, you need to enable the viewing of HIDDEN FOLDERS to be able to see inside the XBMC File. Otherwise, it will appear empty. That would appear to be your issue.

You will also want to run the SDCARD ANALYSIS so that you fully understand where your memory drains are located.

It has been my experience that if you get the LOW MEMORY message, AND you do not have other apps beside XBMC/KODI installed, your memory drain is located in two likely places.

The first place to look is your THUMBNAILS folder. As was mentioned, you need to delete your thumbs which CAN accumulate quickly depending upon different factors. It is not unheard of for that file to grow quickly beyond 1 GB.

And after you delete your Thumbnails, you must also delete the "Textures13.db" which is also in the USERDATA folder, but one rung lower inside of the DATABASE folder there.

If you still have a memory issue, it is probably because of a download that occured to your FIRE TV hard drive -- instead of to an external drive.

Some addons will allow a download and not prompt that a download location has not been established. It those cases, the download is going into the ADDON FOLDER inside of XBMC. After reaching my wits end when I first encountered the memory issue, I eventually found two 1.6 GB movies inside of my Na*i-X addon folder which was at the root of my memory problem.

Last edited:

Jacksuarez7

Aug 17, 2012
Hi - brief update - I seem, and not without some mis-steps, to have made some decent progress on clearing space on the device. Had a look firstly at clearing some space on the few amazon apps native to the device but these when data/cache was cleared just repopulated. Then used ES File explorer, showed hidden files and navigated to the thumbnails folder (thanks all who pointed the way for me). Folder was around 450mb so not as large as I thought and not going to help too much but (and you can raise eyes upwards for this) I decided to delete it.....didn't have a read back at this regarding the texture file so I naively thought they might (somehow) regenerate themselves but with lower res (on the few addons I have I disabled fanart etc). Not a huge amount of space cleared and now when I logged in to xbmc no thumbnails. Bollocks.

Then had a look using one of the file utilities in ES File explorer at the largest files - low and behold the Acestreams cache (I use the p2p streams addon) was huge - around 3gb (approx 90 files) - so I deleted this using ES File explorer and now I have tonnes of space on the device....just no shagging thumbnails. Then had a quick glance in the advanced settings on the p2p addon and see that there is an option to clear the cache which I will use in future - easier than using file explorer.

So a salutory lesson there for anyone with the same issue who might use p2p addon and have space issues - probably not the thumbnails and check/clear the cache on your p2p advanced settings....

One question - if I delete the texture13 file mentioned above will my missing thumbnails magically reappear??

Thanks

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Yes! Delete that file and your thumbnails will regenerate.

You must both delete the thumbs and that file to reset your thumbnail generation.

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I just overcame a very bizarre free space issue on my FireTV, and wanted to share just in case somebody else manages to have the same issue...

So my FireTV is rooted, and I'd been using StickMount to mount my external HD. I had been using my external HD for thumbnails, in addition to storing game data using FolderMount. Stickmount had been mounting my USB drive to /sdcard/usbstorage/0/sda1. All was working well.

Then I mysteriously started losing space on the FireTV. It was driving me mad. I knew exactly what was installed and knew I should have more free space than I had. But I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

It turned out that at some point, the folder that had previously been emulated by StickMount to point to my external drive, had somehow reverted to a local folder on the FireTV drive with exactly the same name. It took an embarrassingly long time to figure that out. But once I did, I recovered almost 3GB.

I've never heard of this issue before, so I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
On mine what I had to do was go into file manager go to the user data folder and go to thumbnails and delete all the thumbnails then go to the userdata-database and delete the textures then quit xbmc and when you restart you will have a much smaller file. I had close to 2gb my total space of xbmc. After doing this I had 700mb.
If i am not mistaken my thumbnails under PROFILE Directory only has 0-9 then a-f (then Video at the bottom after f)
are you saying to remove these????

found the textures folder

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
If i am not mistaken my thumbnails under PROFILE Directory only has 0-9 then a-f (then Video at the bottom after f)
are you saying to remove these????

found the textures folder
Yes. You can even safely delete the entire THUMBNAIL folder if you choose -- as long as you also delete the Textures13.db as well.