Make Roku channel for XBMC on Ouya & stream android apps to Roku (ABC, NBC, CBS)

billmediaguy

Aug 21, 2013
I am not sure if I am still on topic with my input.

I write a blog about home media networks and lately have been working solutions for itnernational streaming tv options (in addition to ABC, CBS, NBC android apps) with Roku, Plex, Playon and casting apps like Twonky Beam. Twonky and other apps only send website based content rather than app based content.

I have found that any PC based approach hits the geolocking problem unless you use a VPN, which further complicates home network setup and wireless apps.

Roku, Plex or Playon do not offer a way around this problem. However, I recently found a few Android apps that let me watch streaming French TV (Tele 7, Tele-Loisirs, French TV and others like ABC, CBS, NBC).

The casting or beaming apps cannot beam or cast from another android app like the ones I mentioned above.

I see the Ouya platform as a possible working solution to getting international TV streaming.

Unfortunately for now. I need to use another of my TV's HDMI ports since there is no Ouya app/channel for Roku, Plex or Playon.

My home lab uses the Roku as the prefered human interface because it is the easiest to convert to when you dump cable.

I could use your help and any ideas to complete my goal of dumping cable.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Actually I just posted a guide for chromecasting XBMC from Android devices... If that helps. Then VPN is quite easy to manage.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Also... I am confused as to the question. I am MORE THAN HAPPY to help as I dumped cable 8 years ago and am beyond profitiant in all video to TV mods/hacks/devices/services. I have found differing setups that meet different desires.

There is

1) EASIEST
2) MOST CONTENT
3) SMALLEST FOORTPRINT
4) VIDEOPHILE
5) EASIEST FOR NOOBS
6) EASIEST SETUP
7) REMOTE FRIENDLY (for kids)
8) SPOUSE APROVED

In my experience ONE setup does not fit all... But their is one out there for you. What is your goal?

dirty

Oct 5, 2012
Kinda confused as to the question also but I have seen a plex app in the ouya discover store

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Near Kennedy Space Center
@billmediaguy, Everything I have read about Roku/XBMC is that it is up to Roku. As soon as some onefinds a hack Roku closes it. Supposedly it has something to do with their business plan. They have contracts with Netfix, Amazon Prime, etc, where they get a percentage every time someone orders a movie or TV show. But, this sounds like a bunch of BS because they have a Playon channel. Playon does charge its members a fee so maybe they give something to Roku. I do know they promote Roku as one of their compatible devices and it does have a prominent place in theit promos.

@showgun, do you have a blog or web site that describes how to do all the diiferent ways you have found to stream, therefore you have no need for cable?