meegopad review- windows hdmi stick

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
okay here we go, I received one of these yesterday, plugged it in and it started up and worked fine. The hours moved right along, I installed xbmc gotham and my addons and userdata all was fine and dandy, then Pho*nix nhl tweaks suddenly I was watching hockey in hd, I moved the system to my tv from my desktop monitor, continued watching live hockey, then just before I fell asleep I get the windows 8.1 activation key required screen.
The unit comes with 2gb ram memory, 32gb drive, windows 8.1 installed. For some reason they don't give you android on it and I recall someone say it isn't stable on the device at this time, so windows 8.1 is how it comes out of the box. As some of you know I am a conosseur of good quality picture. This device really impressed me, its right up there a very good clean picture but just one little notch below the quality level of my rk3288 ugoos with t764 video. For $130.00 its a great little device, yes I'm happy with it. One thing I did notice was the picture seems to be more stable than the androids in the way that there is no microstutters. Like you don't even look for it because its just not there.
I can see this device becoming a popular way to do xbmc because you can easily move it to another monitor or from room to room or house to house or take it with you wherever you go.

That said this windows activation key problem is a huge letdown. By the time I purchase a legitimate key, this will take the budget over the top. Yes I'm going to do it, but its the dealbreaker. If I had known ahead of time I probably wouldn't have bought it.
Now a year or two ago I did buy a windows 8.1 cracked version with key. If I recall this key will get me access but every six months ill have to put the key in again. And with the cracked version you can't upgrade to windows media center so you can't set up a recorder with it unless you get a valid key. So this is where I'm at today. The unit performs great, nice features, works great for xbmc but now I have to deal with spending a bunch of time and money on a license activation key. I'm on ebay now and they ain't cheap. And I won't be getting one today either, will take 4 more days for it to ship.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
OK I just found my old activation key for windows 8.1 cracked version and it worked fine. So Partially happy ending here. At least I don't have to shell out another hundred bucks, yay! Enjoying the unit now.

Another good thing about this unit is there are controls for color and all the picture settings. I can really zero in on the color and contrast and all that stuff.

There's hope after all!

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
I think with the stick being very portable and it would be very handy that way.... the issue I would have with it,is it will only run wireless... i'm a fan of hardwired way better connected in my opinion....

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I think with the stick being very portable and it would be very handy that way.... the issue I would have with it,is it will only run wireless... i'm a fan of hardwired way better connected in my opinion....
not an issue as I bought a USB ether net adapter for about 6 bucks. It works on androids as well. I had this for a few weeks now in preparation for this device. It works fine and is plug and play. Yes that was my first concern but it's a non issue with the adapter.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
This would be great for me as I spend a lot of time on the road and with something like a RPi, you can't really log onto Hotel wifi (no browser!)
Nice find!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
The second review sheds a little light on the win 8.1 issue.
Yes that review is absolutely true.

If you buy one of these you have to plan on spending some additional money on a windows activation key.
When this meegopad was initially introduced in a thread in this forum my first thought was for $100 it can't possibly include a full windows 8.1 version, but some of the reviews insinuated that it did, so I for one was confused as to how this could be financially feasible. Now we know for a fact that you need your own license. A few months back I did actually purchase a license for $45 on ebay and it worked fine and still does to this day. Yesterday when I thought I needed another I couldn't find one for less than $85. A year or so ago I bought a cracked copy of windows 8.1 and a Microsoft office program for $50 on craigslist. The license that came with this worked fine on my meegopad. So I know there are cheaper alternatives for the windows licensing. I'm sure there are some forum members here that know of simple and less expensive ways of getting a windows license. I'm good though myself at this time.

The unit gets fairly hot but doesn't overheat.

You also want to have a usb to Ethernet adapter which costs under $10.

You also need to think about remote control options, as in wireless or wired mouse and keyboard.
For now I'm using a favi rf remote that I've been using for my androids that also works well on windows.
Last night I watched the islanders beat the rangers on Pho*nix, it was awesome!

My next tweaks will be to improve the sleep timer settings. I want it to go to sleep a half hour after I watch a stream or file.

Last edited:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I don't know doc . I have been messing around with xbmc for about 6 years now and I haven't experimented with openelec as of yet. I want to, it's on my list for sure . Tell you what I'll investigate this in next few days and hopefully come up with an answer how's that? I need to do this sooner or later.
I got involved with windows mainly because of NHL on Pho*nix requires windows or mac. That and I'm a new gadget guy too lol

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013
They don't seem to have crossed the pond to any great extent yet, had a quick look y.day.

From what I read online I can see no reason why it cant, it takes windows and ubunto so should in theory be able to run OE

Would make the ideal travel companion, and better than the droid usb sticks I imagine.

If you do have a go, I will be more than interested in your results. Its not exactly pricey but I cant justify buying one 'on a theory' alone.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
From what I understand you just load a usb stick and stick it in there. Do you know of any links to get me Started? Freaktab? xda Forums? I haven't googled it yet, but was going to start getting initiated before work this morning.
If you know of a good place to start please let me know, otherwise I will search from ground zero.
Thanks

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Assuming it can boot from a USB drive, it should work OK with Openelec. I bought an Intel NUC which works great on Windows 8.1 and Openelec. I've stuck with Windows because it's so convenient and I've mapped a button on the MCE remote to launch Kodi so the user experience can be exactly the same as Openelec.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
From what I understand you just load a usb stick and stick it in there. Do you know of any links to get me Started? Freaktab? xda Forums? I haven't googled it yet, but was going to start getting initiated before work this morning.
If you know of a good place to start please let me know, otherwise I will search from ground zero.
Thanks
It's incredibly simple. Go to Openelec.tv and download the generic x86 installer. Run that on a PC and it will ask for a USB drive. It then makes a bootable USB install disk. Boot off it and follow instructions to get Openelec on drive. Takes a few minutes at most.

When I set my NUC up, everything worked straight away including the wifi. I was very impressed!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
It's incredibly simple. Go to Openelec.tv and download the generic x86 installer. Run that on a PC and it will ask for a USB drive. It then makes a bootable USB install disk. Boot off it and follow instructions to get Openelec on drive. Takes a few minutes at most.

When I set my NUC up, everything worked straight away including the wifi. I was very impressed!
Hey thanks, I'll do this today but probably after work though, got to get out the door in a few minutes, got to make money so I can buy more tv boxes, lol.

Sounds good, I can do this!

BTW how do you like the nuc? Did you have to buy windows for that one? Is the fan in those very loud?

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I think its scandalous to advertise something as coming with Windows 8.1 and then expect the buyer to pay for a license,
there is a crack around now that doesn't require reactivating every 6 months but you shouldn't have to resort to something like this.

I was interested in getting one of these for a family member but think I'll just wait until the Intel Compute Stick is out which will work out cheaper as it will have Windows activated

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Certainly your perogative.

For me even if I had to pay for the license it still would be worth it. The license is good for whatever hardware you want to put it on. One at a time of course. But you own it. Nothing really wrong with that approach either.
Everybody has to pay bill gates. If your future unit comes with windows someone somewhere along the line has to pay for it.

I guess my job here is to make sure everyone who's thinking of buying one aware of the temporary windows it comes with. And that's done now.

Funny how there's always a catch to these tv boxes. They have the ability to build the perfect box for the perfect price but they always have to have a catch in some way shape or form.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
quick question: will this install of openelec affect windows at all? Is it reversible? I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my windows software.
It will wipe the drive. If you have 2 USB sticks you can use one as the installer and the other as the OS and boot straight off it.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Hey thanks, I'll do this today but probably after work though, got to get out the door in a few minutes, got to make money so I can buy more tv boxes, lol.

Sounds good, I can do this!

BTW how do you like the nuc? Did you have to buy windows for that one? Is the fan in those very loud?
I love the NUC. I bought it bare bones so added a 120gb SSD and 4gb RAM. I "found" a copy of Win 8.1
The fan is audible if there's no noise in the room but not too bad. It doesn't worry me