meegopad review- windows hdmi stick

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I think its scandalous to advertise something as coming with Windows 8.1 and then expect the buyer to pay for a license,
there is a crack around now that doesn't require reactivating every 6 months but you shouldn't have to resort to something like this.

I was interested in getting one of these for a family member but think I'll just wait until the Intel Compute Stick is out which will work out cheaper as it will have Windows activated
To be fair, I think they are trying to iron out licence issues as Win 8.1 should be free on that device. They offer a licensed version for $29 which is still good value. I think I might wait for the Intel one too but more for support.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
OK well I'm involved now with openelec. I made the stick ok but am having hard time booting . I cannot see the usb drive in my installation choices on the blue screen, I surely don't want the main ssd drive to be wiped, that's all I see so here we stop. I'll mess around with this later.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
OK well I'm involved now with openelec. I made the stick ok but am having hard time booting . I cannot see the usb drive in my installation choices on the blue screen, I surely don't want the main ssd drive to be wiped, that's all I see so here we stop. I'll mess around with this later.
I've only installed to the SSD but from what I've read it should work. I might try later if I can find a couple of sticks

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Certainly your perogative.

For me even if I had to pay for the license it still would be worth it. The license is good for whatever hardware you want to put it on. One at a time of course. But you own it. Nothing really wrong with that approach either.
Everybody has to pay bill gates. If your future unit comes with windows someone somewhere along the line has to pay for it.

I guess my job here is to make sure everyone who's thinking of buying one aware of the temporary windows it comes with. And that's done now.

Funny how there's always a catch to these tv boxes. They have the ability to build the perfect box for the perfect price but they always have to have a catch in some way shape or form.
I forget the procedure now but there is a way to get your Windows license from devices that come with Windows 8.1 with Bing if you decide to transfer it to different hardware.
MS give the license away free to manufacturers of devices like this (I have an official license on a tablet that's cheaper than Meegopad) which is why I think its scandalous to advertise this product coming with Windows 8.1 and not telling you that you have to pay for a license!

I don't know why this manufacturer hasn't registered their device with Microsoft and obtained free licenses for all their customers as between MS and Intel they are pushing hardware like this very hard to compete with Android and ChromeOS but something smells fishy to me.

I appreciate the job you're doing keeping people informed but as I said somethings not right with this and as there will be a plethora of similarly priced and specced hardware hitting the market in the coming months my personal advice is to take TheLions's advice about what the hardware can do but to not buy this and get one of the many competitor products coming on stream if not right now then very very soon

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013

Sometimes doesn't play ball if usb3 is involved, scrap sometimes - nearly always.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
No, no usb3 involved here.

Here's the big problem and the reason why I can't go any further, the medgopad has no bios so you can't tell it to boot from a drive. Id have to install openelec over windows which I would lose.

I was practicing on another computer and built the drive successfully but cannot apply it to the medgopad and keep the windows copy I worked hard to set up at the same time. I think it'll work but no way am I going to risk well actually its no risk, I would simply lose all my work and my windows copy at the same time. Can't do that guys.

No bios complicates things. When the computer starts up you get a meegopad splash screen just like an android then windows comes up, there's no bios like a regular computer.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
No, no usb3 involved here.

Here's the big problem and the reason why I can't go any further, the medgopad has no bios so you can't tell it to boot from a drive. Id have to install openelec over windows which I would lose.

I was practicing on another computer and built the drive successfully but cannot apply it to the medgopad and keep the windows copy I worked hard to set up at the same time. I think it'll work but no way am I going to risk well actually its no risk, I would simply lose all my work and my windows copy at the same time. Can't do that guys.

No bios complicates things. When the computer starts up you get a meegopad splash screen just like an android then windows comes up, there's no bios like a regular computer.
This procedure to get into the bios on my Windows 8.1 tablet might well work on the Meegopad

Swipe in from the right

Select settings

click change pc settings

click update and recovery

click recovery

in the advanced startup section select restart now. The device will restart to a "choose an option" scree

select troubleshoot

select advanced options

select "UEFI firmare settings"

select restart

once restarted the device should boot to the UEFI

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Ok well I tried the suggestion suggested above. I get to step 9 and there is no choice to choose uefi firmware.

It looks like openelec will work on the device but you would have to overwrite the windows version that it comes with. I'm not going any further with this project on this device just to see if it works for someone else. I tried.

Openelec looks pretty cool though, I may experiment with it on my old mx2 that's sitting here collecting dust.