Mele Pcg03 Windows 8.1 Xbmc box

richiebrowns

Jan 12, 2014
Hi all,

Just noticed these have started to go on sale.

Code:
http://www.futeko.com/products/HT02.php
Looks a well specced box for a windows 8.1 xbmc machine. Seems a decent price at £129.99

Powerful and silent Intel Bay Trail home theatre PC with Windows 8.1 pre-installed.

Using the PCG03 You can run Windows versions of Kodi/XBMC, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Plex, Microsoft Office, games. etc.

64bit Intel x86 Processor Powerful third generation Intel Bay Trail Z3735F 1.83Ghz quad core processor with Intel Intel Gen7 HD Graphics. Easily enough power for smooth Windows 8.1 with 1080p video.

Pre-installed Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 8.1 Bing is pre-installed. This gives you the flexibility of being able to install any Windows app, including Netflix, Kodi, Plex, iPlayer, Microsoft Office, Photoshop and Windows games.

Tiny Fanless Design The small form factor and silent fanless operation make the PCG03 perfect as a media PC for the lounge or bedroom.

XBMC/Kodi for Windows Windows is the main development platform for Kodi so performance is reliably excellent and all add-ons run as intended. The PCG03 is capable of hardware accelerated playback of all 1080p video in Kodi.
2GB DDR3 RAM. 32GB eMMC Storage 2GB RAM and fast 32GB eMMC internal flash storage. Storage can be increased using SD cards.
Windows Media Apps Most media apps are deasigned first for Windows, so these versions are often the best. You can run Windows Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, XBMC, Plex. etc.
Powerful Home PC The PCG03 is powerful enough to comfortably run MS Office, Photoshop, and other Windows apps. It can be used as a full-blown PC.
Dolby Digital / DTS 5.1 HD-Audio Bitstream and passthrough of 5.1 channel Dolby Digital and DTS.
Very Low Power Consumption Less than 15W when idle.
Great Connectivity RJ-45 100Mbps LAN, Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI 1.4, VGA, USB 2.0 x3, SD Card, 3.5mm stereo audio.
Box contents: Mele PCG03, PSU (Euro 2-pin + UK adapter if ordered from the UK).

Has anyone seen one up close, or tried one? have one?

Last edited by a moderator:

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Depending on your useage I think you'll most likely enjoy your new mini pc,
I have similarly specced Windows 8.1 tablets and for most things Kodi its surprising just how capable the hardware is.
From what I've read don't expect it to play HEVC 4K files or interlaced HD content well, but for most other things it will be fine.
For general Windows tasks the hardware runs as smooth as a baby's bottom but do not expect to push it like you would a desktop and expect it to work with Photoshop, play the latest games or transcode video.

You'll also probably need to add extra storage to it sooner rather than later with not much installed and after a couple of Windows updates my tablets only have around 13.5GB free space left (although 8GB is lost to a Windows recovery partition which you can delete if you have backed up your install).

I've been so impressed with this hardware that I've just taken a chance and ordered something very similar from China to act as my always on download machine and bedroom Kodi device.
Apart from the much lower price of just under 65 quid the other reason I chose the one I've gone for over the Mele is the large wifi aerial attached to it,
if anyone is interested this is what I've chanced my £65 on:-

Code:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X7-Windows-8-1-Smart-Mini-PC-TV-Box-Media-Player-2G-RAM-32G-ROM-Intel-3736F-2-16GHz-Quad-Core---Black-340056.html

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Looking forward to a review of both these boxes :)

My bedroom unit is pretty much dead.
I'm in no rush to replace it as our baby is in the room with us, but that's not going to last forever lol

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
That's right so in the near future you can bet you are going to see many windows 8 devices out there.
The million dollar question is are they better than Android?

I have been experimenting a lot with windows and androids and what I find is windows is more stable and dependable while android With rk3288 and t764 gives a much cleaner more definitive picture. Windows video output I've been using are Intel hd graphics. If you can find a windows computer with t764 graphics then you got something.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
The Minix box looks nice but is also quite expensive, in the price bracket I've seen of $175 from Chinese dealers I think I'd go for a NUC or Brix over it

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
what would you guys suggest getting for a windows xbmc/kodi experience?
I'm really happy with mine, Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, 4gb RAM, 120Gb SSD. I already had a MCE remote. With a slight bit of tweaking of the remote mappings, I have a pretty sweet machine. It boots from cold start in 22 seconds, Kodi takes less than 10 seconds to fully load widgets, weather etc.

I like that I can use it completely with remote for Kodi, but have a USB keyboard and mouse (I'm about to order a bluetooth one) to use it as a PC. Once I'd got used to Windows 8.1, I quite like the experience.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
You could Try a new meegopad but only get the one that has windows 8.1 with bing. The other one is just a one month windows trial version. You'll spend double what the unit costs if you have to supply your own windows. The ones with bing are coming out very soon if not already. You may have to wait a week or two. But I have a meegopad and its pretty cool, works good with xbmc.

Anyway everybody has a different idea (including me), just be yourself and make your own decision that fits your needs.

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
You could Try a new meegopad but only get the one that has windows 8.1 with bing. The other one is just a one month windows trial version. You'll spend double what the unit costs if you have to supply your own windows. The ones with bing are coming out very soon if not already. You may have to wait a week or two. But I have a meegopad and its pretty cool, works good with xbmc.

Anyway everybody has a different idea (including me), just be yourself and make your own decision that fits your needs.
Spot on! I'm on the road a lot so one of these tiny units will be living in hotel rooms with me soon I guess!

richiebrowns

Jan 12, 2014
I'm liking the look of the meegopad. No UK stockists yet though.

Can you source content from a ext HDD with it?

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Yes I believe up to 1tb, haven't tried it because mine is hooked up to a usb 3 port on my router. That way I can access my hard drive on any tv box in the house without ever having to move it.