Mi Box best bang for your buck

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I just unboxed mine, and I'm disappointed that there's no Ethernet connection.
I personally am not having a problem with the wifi. But you can buy a USB to Ethernet adapter. There is a Kodi forum that mentions a couple of different ones.

manevets

May 17, 2013
I personally am not having a problem with the wifi. But you can buy a USB to Ethernet adapter. There is a Kodi forum that mentions a couple of different ones.
Thanks, I ordered one. It's coming from China, lol. They're made there anyway. I'll see how I like the WiFi while I wait!. Thanks again!

FORD

Oct 24, 2013
I just unboxed mine, and I'm disappointed that there's no Ethernet connection.
That's why I have held off from trying one. My experience with streaming wirelessly is not a good one, so no ethernet is a dealbreaker for me. Too bad, because it sounds like a decent piece of hardware otherwise. Let's hope they put an ethernet model out there soon.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
That's why I have held off from trying one. My experience with streaming wirelessly is not a good one, so no ethernet is a dealbreaker for me. Too bad, because it sounds like a decent piece of hardware otherwise. Let's hope they put an ethernet model out there soon.
I think the best bang for buck now is the MECOOL M8s Pro + it has exactly the same Amlogic s905x as the mi it also has DRM wideline lever 1 and is HDCP so that means it's endorsed and you get Netflix 1080p.

It also comes with an Ethernet port and is cheaper then the mi box plus you can dual boot LibreElec of an SD card (don't install to nand you would lose wideline) which runs better then Android kodi anyway.

There is a great custom Android TV Rom for this box at freaktab that you can install by plugin an USB of SD card into your box, it will also allow you to keep all your official license keys so you won't lose your DRM.
Code:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/659305-rom-mecool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1
value for money I don't think you can beat this box at the moment.

CorvusWu

Staff member
Sep 3, 2017
Do you have one? Can you tell us where you got it and the price? It's good to have options.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Do you have one? Can you tell us where you got it and the price? It's good to have options.
No I have another generic Amlogic s905x but I run LibreElec, I've never liked running Android version of kodi.

If I were to buy one now though it would be the mecool pro + I suppose it really comes down to if you like to tinker.

If you don't then the mi box is a better for you, if you do you can save a few quid.

You can buy from Gearbest, various threads on the official Kodi forums about it.

Torontopaul

Oct 11, 2017
Is mibox decent? Wetek is by far better than sny other box. Not that crappy androidtv or china version but custom firmware. But I am also looking for other decent boxes that are cheap. The w95 seems decent, different firmware.

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
I like the amazon fire tv box
Amazon Fire TV V2 is a great little box. V3 is a piece of trash and not worth buying IMHO. The V3 is supposedly slightly faster than the V2 but they removed everything that made the V2 great. The V3 Fire TV "Box" IS a GREAT upgrade from a Fire TV "Stick" but it's 3 steps backward from a Fire TV Box V2. Sadly you can't buy the V2 any more unless you find one used. My main complaint about the AFTV's in general are the ads on the main screen. Luckily I don't usually look at that page for long.

As far as the Xiaomi MiBox, goes it does seem like it could be a good device if you only use Wi-Fi. I happen to have have wired my whole house with Cat5e cable, just so I don't have to use Wi-Fi for things like this. While yes there is such a thing as Ethernet over USB, the MiBox ONLY has one USB2.0 port. From what I have read, ethernet over USB performs pretty well with USB3.0 but not near as well over USB2.0. Add to this that this box only has 8GB storage and NO SD card slot (NOTE: the Fire TV V2 does have a SD card slot, V3 does not), which makes you limited on the apps you can install. You could possibly use USB thumb drives, but again it only has one USB2.0 so now you need a USB hub to handle the thumb drive and the ethernet to USB adapter. Since the remote sucks, you may want to use a different one, that could also need a USB port. Good thing you bought that USB hub. ;) So by the time you buy all the "accessories" you have increased the price quite a bit with this one IMHO.

The MECOOL box with custom TV Rom sounds interesting, but I haven't looked into it too much yet. I do know a lot of these off brand boxes have really bad reviews on Amazon. The big advantage of the name brand products like the Xiaomi MiBox and AFTV is that they tend to have better overall quality control.

What is the best box? Really it depends on your specific needs.

Last edited: