Mi box play nice with TVaddons?

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Doing some last minute Christmas shopping for Mom and Dad. They have everything under the sun even a streamer a Roku 3 for netflix of course the Roku doesn't support kodi. I figured everyone should have kodi and TV add-ons and I saw that Walmart has the Mi Android box. The specs look OK and I ventured over to the official kodi forum to check out what they had to say about it but of course they don't mention how well it performs with unofficial add-ons Ex**us SA*TS etc. Anyone have any experience with these boxes? Do they play stream well without buffering and what not?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
It will support Kodi and the add-ons just fine all the way to streaming 4k video fine, just be aware that it is not top of the line hardware so it won't be snappy quick between click and menus or play CPU intense android games... But on the flip side it's fully and properly licensed by Google so it will able to support full HD streaming content from legit services like Netflix while most Android boxes can only do SD content on services like Netflix due to lack of proper licensing... Also since it's legacy hardware and vetted by Google, a vast majority of the quirks should be worked out in the officially licensed an ported Android OS... And if you are not happy Walmart's return policy is essentially 2nd to none...

When I get off my lazy butt, I'm going to pick one up myself for my kids, as they still heavily use Netflix so having full functionality for HD Netflix is a huge plus for them, as SD just doesn't cut it on a 65" TV...

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Think I may go pick one up for them. I'll have to open it up and add kodi and get it set up with Ex**us. I'll test it out as well see if it will be a good replacement for my cheap MXQ pro box.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Think I may go pick one up for them. I'll have to open it up and add kodi and get it set up with Ex**us. I'll test it out as well see if it will be a good replacement for my cheap MXQ pro box.
Hard to say the specs of an MX Pro as the Asian manufactures slap names like that across multiple build configurations, but chances are the MX Pro has a generation newer and faster CPU, but on the other hand it doesn't have a licensed version of Android so it won't play friendly with legit HD streams like Netflix...

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Gotta say the Mi is pretty sweet. It plays just as well as the MXQ pro if not better and the Android TV os is much nicer than phone version. Not sure if it is worth twice the price as the MXQ but the remote is really nice. I'll test out the HD Netflix in the morning however I don't have a 4k TV to test that but 1080 plays awesome on kodi.

xbman

Developer
Feb 3, 2013
usa
Yup.. roku sucks..indeed.. but... shhh......
JUST FYI.. If ur parents has a crappy worthless Roku box like mine does as well haha...
Install the private channel: xtviptv. while it still last .. it's been up for a long while though...
even has live tv. and 24/7 tv shows. and movies.....
and this is already public info.. so.. who cares now.. enjoy it. while it still last.

Yeah.. i like the 24/7 shows it has.. I'ma snag that data from their roku soon when i have the time.. hahaha...
and then make me a kodi addon for it.. nice... there's some good 24/7 shows on their that i want on my kodi.
Wow.. never would have thought.. that i would want something roku has on my kodi LOL!
Cause roku naturally sux... and indeed it does. instead of roku.. it's suko.. hahaha! nice.
private channel: xtviptv and dispite the xtv name.. it's not adult at all. nope.

Also.. theres ustvnow for roku.. like 6-7 local channels free.. works here..in usa.
and i didn't even have to have to log in... or maybe i already did before.. i forget.

and theres.. FilmON.... code: arteseafon :even has a guide. nice. filmon.tv on roku...

I just recently beefed up my parents roku.. and dusted it off some.. so enjoy. ;-)

but yeah.. Kodi Rocks.. indeed!

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
I actually started off with a Roku and used their unofficial channels for a while letmewatch and ice films was good but then they died the support for the kodi add-ons is much better imo. I actually still use my Roku but instead of using it's unofficial channels I use kodi and Ex**us to download to my server and Plex to play what I downloaded to the Roku and sometimes I cast kodi from my android phone to the Roku. Honestly it's a shame you have to use workarounds like that to get kodi on the Roku because it's a really nice lil streaming box imo.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I have a Mi box now and it is freaking fantastic. I am running SPMC since it supports Android better and TVADDONS addons all work great. Well all the ones I use. My main issue was getting used to a few nuances of running on the Mi box like having the main Mi box stuff that I don't really use. The great thing is I can create links in my skin to Netflix and Youtube so I get much better use of those. (yes I still pay for Netflix lol)

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Got mom and dads box set up... so there are a few things I like and dislike about it.

Pros
Android TV OS is awesome
The remote is nice has google voice
Plays kodi and Netflix in HD flawlessly. 4k capable but I had no way treat this.
Wi-Fi works great from across the house
2 GB of Ram as opposed to the 1 in most Android boxes.

Cons
It's not rooted wasn't able to customize Aeon Nox to the extent I normally do. There is no Ethernet Jack not a deal-breaker for me because the Wi-Fi on it is awesome.
The voice control does not function within kodi at least Jarvis. This really sucks I had to use the virtual keyboard to type everything took forever.

Bottom line is as a tightwad like myself I would never pay 200 buck for a shield however I would totally pay 70 for a box with the official Android tv OS with voice search. I just wish the the voice search worked within kodi.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Got mom and dads box set up... so there are a few things I like and dislike about it.

Pros
Android TV OS is awesome
The remote is nice has google voice
Plays kodi and Netflix in HD flawlessly. 4k capable but I had no way treat this.
Wi-Fi works great from across the house
2 GB of Ram as opposed to the 1 in most Android boxes.

Cons
It's not rooted wasn't able to customize Aeon Nox to the extent I normally do. There is no Ethernet Jack not a deal-breaker for me because the Wi-Fi on it is awesome.
The voice control does not function within kodi at least Jarvis. This really sucks I had to use the virtual keyboard to type everything took forever.

Bottom line is as a tightwad like myself I would never pay 200 buck for a shield however I would totally pay 70 for a box with the official Android tv OS with voice search. I just wish the the voice search worked within kodi.
If you want to use the voice controls you can install SPMC instead of Kodi from the Google Play store. It allows you to use the voice search!

I also customize Aeon Nox quite a bit. I was able to install FTP Server app in the Google Play store so I can FTP into the Mi box and customize away!

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
If you want to use the voice controls you can install SPMC instead of Kodi from the Google Play store. It allows you to use the voice search!

I also customize Aeon Nox quite a bit. I was able to install FTP Server app in the Google Play store so I can FTP into the Mi box and customize away!
Sweet!!! Except now I have to set up mom and dads box all over again lol

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
You should be able to use the backup add-on (make sure to go into settings and backup the entire thing as by default some settings are not saved) and restore your setup on a clean SPMC installed device, it will likely complain it's not the same version of 'Kodi' but should still restore your settings...

**Edit it appears SPMC uses a different directory structure and it might not restore properly with the add-on, but you should be able to backup your current build and restore manually by cutting and pasting...

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
You should be able to use the backup add-on (make sure to go into settings and backup the entire thing a9s by default some settings are not saved) and restore your setup on a clean SPMC installed device, it will likely complain it's not the same version of 'Kodi' but should still restore your settings...

**Edit it appears SPMC uses a different directory structure and it might not restore properly with the add-on, but you should be able to backup your current build and restore manually by cutting and pasting...
Really? OK thanks I'll give it shot...

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I did the same thing! I would not recommend trying to do a backup/restore. It failed miserably for me. I ended up starting from scratch with SPMC. It was so very worth it!

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
I did the same thing! I would not recommend trying to do a backup/restore. It failed miserably for me. I ended up starting from scratch with SPMC. It was so very worth it!
Yeah I instead of trying a restore I just started over as well. I had just set up a simple Kodi/Aeon Nox/Ex**us build the day before so it was still fresh in my memory it only took me about a half hour to replicate it. Turns out it was a great present Mom and Dad loved it.

On another note I really liked the android tv homescreen so I downloaded the ATV launcher for my MXQ pro box sadly the voice search does not function on it even with SPMC and my airmouse doesn't have full functionality as well the select button doesn't work so I had to use the enter button on my keyboard. The get app recommendations also didn't function just an endless spinning circle. I ended up just giving up on it and using this launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv a customizeable launcher I found in the playstore it was as close as I could find to the official android launcher it has the rectangular app icons that are the same as the official android tv icons and you can add custom wallpapers to the home screen I just wish I could place the icons where I want them instead of it automatically placing them on the top row and I wish I could add amazon tv and movie recommendations widgets to the home screen.

Last edited:

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I have been experimenting with VPN and sideloading some apps.

So far things work awesome!

I was able to sideload the IPVanish app (since that is what I use for VPN). It works very well! I have added a custom button into the settings menu in my skin for quick access to turn it on/off and have set it to auto connect on reboot.

Then I was able to side load the Amazon Video app since we have Amazon Prime. Now I can take advantage of the movies there.

This box is exactly what I have always wanted. It is Kodi with all my favorite addons, but with a bit of work now I have a Kodi experience that also lets me take full advantage of Netflix, Amazon Video, Pluto TV, etc. It now has a super easy VPN setup that only requires a few clicks to connect/disconnect.

Really loving this thing!!!

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
My local Walmart finally had some if these Mi boxes on the shelf, if I had not spend a metric ton of money on the holidays already only to be followed up with one of the cars needing new tires this week, I would have picked up one of these Mi boxes tonight for the kids...

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I've had an odd problem that users should look out for. Using SPMC v16.5+, for some reason most gvideo like in SA*TS do not work and do not give an error message. I thought i was crazy but I tried the same movie with same listed links in Kodi and an earlier version of SPMC and they do work. I plan on looking into it more with logs as time permits but thought I'd mention it. Love to see if others have the same experience. Otherwise, love the MI box

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I've had an odd problem that users should look out for. Using SPMC v16.5+, for some reason most gvideo like in SA*TS do not work and do not give an error message. I thought i was crazy but I tried the same movie with same listed links in Kodi and an earlier version of SPMC and they do work. I plan on looking into it more with logs as time permits but thought I'd mention it. Love to see if others have the same experience. Otherwise, love the MI box
Hmm... I will have to test that. I haven't noticed it, but will check tonight.