Mi box play nice with TVaddons?

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
I have been experimenting with VPN and sideloading some apps.

So far things work awesome!

I was able to sideload the IPVanish app (since that is what I use for VPN). It works very well! I have added a custom button into the settings menu in my skin for quick access to turn it on/off and have set it to auto connect on reboot.

Then I was able to side load the Amazon Video app since we have Amazon Prime. Now I can take advantage of the movies there.

This box is exactly what I have always wanted. It is Kodi with all my favorite addons, but with a bit of work now I have a Kodi experience that also lets me take full advantage of Netflix, Amazon Video, Pluto TV, etc. It now has a super easy VPN setup that only requires a few clicks to connect/disconnect.

Really loving this thing!!!
How were you able to sideload? I was looking for an adb debugging option but did not find one. I was hoping to be able to use adblink but had to use a thumb drive instead. I really liked the voice search in spmc, pretty awesome.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
How were you able to sideload? I was looking for an adb debugging option but did not find one. I was hoping to be able to use adblink but had to use a thumb drive instead. I really liked the voice search in spmc, pretty awesome.
USB may be the easiest way but I tend to sideloaded using es explorer. I connect to a shared folder on my windows computer or NAS and then either install from there or copy over to the Download folder.

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
Yes I was able to use es file explorer ok, I am used to using adblink and was hoping to use that instead, just did not see an option in settings anywhere for adb debugging.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I just installed an FTP Server app so I can FTP into the box. I downloaded the apk to my laptop and used FTP to put it on the box. Then I used a file manager app to find the apk and installed from there. Just had to enable Unknown Sources. The only issue is that the apps do not show in the home screen, but is ok with me since I integrate everything via kodi.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
The only issue is that the apps do not show in the home screen, but is ok with me since I integrate everything via kodi.
I have most my important apps integrated into SPMC as well but the girlfriend prefers giant blocks to push. No matter how much I dumb down kodi for her she just doesn't seem to be able to get it lol. You could use a different launcher to get all your favorite and sideloaded apps on your home screen here is mine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv

Last edited:

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I have most my important apps integrated into SPMC as well but the girlfriend prefers giant blocks to push. No matter how much I dumb down kodi for her she just doesn't seem to be able to get it lol. You could use a different launcher to get all your favorite and sideloaded apps on your home screen here is mine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv
I hear ya. I finally got the family used to Kodi. :) I go the opposite route. I try to get everything accessible from within Kodi. So I have a customized skin with links to Netflix, Crackle, etc.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Went out and bought one for myself with a Gift Card I got for Christmas this afternoon. Did say I really like this little box? Lol ...Netflix in 1080p is night and day compared to my MXQ box. I was sick of the airmouse and the cursor and the is this thing a computer or a TV identity crisis. I really like the ir remote with voice search. Not sure about the Android TV fallback launcher it's not very intuitive or customizable but I added a different launcher and back to what I'm used to. Moved the MXQ to the bedroom for my old lady to play her Pilates videos and get in shape lol win win.