Microsoft Media Center Remote Question

greatcyber

Apr 14, 2013
Montreal
I installed XBMC remote app from the Google Play Store on my HTC One and find that it works rather nicely. This works ok if I don't have my dedicated remote nearby. The remote I have been using initally came with my Dell XPS that was an XP box when it was built in 2006 (still works fine) but I have added Windows 7 & made it dual boot. Actually I almost never use XP anymore and am thinking about wiping the partition to reclaim the HDD space - the only reason I haven't is due to the great sound that came preinstalled (sigmatel & creative MB with great DSP effects). I have an install of XBMC on that partition, too as it was my OS at the time of first finding out about XBMC.

My question:

Since I have a MS Media Center remote (the one without the 4 square coloured buttons) - does anyone know of how I can remap one of the buttons, such as the 'My Music' or 'My Recorded TV' buttons to instead bring up the context menu within XBMC?

I tried to do this, following instructions I found on XBMC.org forum that linked to MS's remote buttons, but it didn't actually work.

I don't have a TV tuner that works in my Windows 7 (x86) box - I have 2 tuners that ONLY work in XP OR will work on my Windows 7 x64 bit...won't work with x86 bit for some reason, nor will media center run on my 32 bit box. But the 32 bit is what is on the XPS and it's what I watch when I'm in bed. It never gets turned off and I've already taken the unit apart twice to clean it out and even had to fix the nVidea graphics chip by 'baking' it (from following a vid on YouTube - and it actually WORKED and has been working now for going on 5 years after the 'fix') Hard to believe this old rig is still working, but it is! :D The remote works with XBMC - just missing the option for context menu which would be helpful if I wanted to download something or do anything else that required the use of the context menu.

I know this is old hardware but it seems a shame to not use it since it's already here. My lappy is connected to a 26" monitor and I have a wireless mouse & keyboard but don't want to have to use the mouse if I am in bed.

If anyone has been able to do this I would appreciate knowing the correct coding.

greatcyber

Apr 14, 2013
Montreal
As luck would have it-after posting this I did another google search and found a new forum post on the .org site and was able to accomplish what I was trying to do. So it's all good now. ::cool: