Request Mini HTPC & Audio question

rondar

Jun 16, 2014
I'm replacing an old HTPC which died and I'm looking at the HP Stream. My question how to handle the audio. I was using a 5.1 card with outputs for all speakers, which I send to the various inputs in an old stereo. If I have an HP Stream, it only has a 3.5mm headphone jack. How do I get the sound that I'm used to? Thanks!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Wish I could help. I have an hp stream but I just use a stereo out jack into a Bose soundtouch 30.
At worst case scenario I think they make an external converter box or you'll need to just take stereo out via a typical cable to your amp and that would convert it to 5.1.

rondar

Jun 16, 2014
i take it your amp doesnt have hdmi?
thats how i do mine.
no, it's an old stereo receiver. It uses RCA connectors. I only use it to boost the sound. If I could find an inexpensive amp, I'd replace that too.

rondar

Jun 16, 2014
I've been looking, but not finding one. Is there an HDMI cable that will split out the 5 RCA audio and still let me use HDMI for the video? What do you use?

Last edited:

ronscat

May 15, 2015
You could use usb out to a dac (digital audio converter) then rca cables to your old stereo receiver. Just good "dac". There are 100s out there at
a bunch of price points.