Minimal Kodi 17, but slow interface?

flycaster

Feb 20, 2017
Hi all. I'm new to Kodi on my recently purchased Firestick. I have been muddling through for the last couple of weeks on my own, but now I can use some help...or, maybe a lot of help (LOL). I first started using builds, but they all seemed to take up too much space, so I decided to do my own with minimal addons. Assuming that will fewer addons, the interface would speed up - BTW, testing speed with **** indicated that there would be no trouble with streaming...and there isn't. Also, after clearing cache, thumbnails and packages with ****, **** indicated that I had 211MB free space.

Here's what I got when going to addons:
VIDEO: Pho*nix, Ex**us, UFC, Indigo, Spor**dev*l, **** Wizard, Pro S**rts, Al*uc, You Tube
PROGRAM: Indigo, **** Wizard, F4MProxy, TVA Log
ANROID (no of which I expect to use maybe except for ES File Exlorer and Downloader): Apps, Media Session, Prime Photos, Gamecode, KFTV Luncher, Shop Amazon, Amazon Videos, Amazon Music

So, as things now stand, it seems to me that when using my addons (eg, Ex**us or Pho*nix), it takes a while (maybe longer than it should - I really don't know, but it seems to take a long time) to get to where I want to be. Bottom line is: How can I speed up the time between selecting an app and getting to my end point? Thanks in advance for you help.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
You say you have been using Builds, so after you've finished one how did you clear Kodi down ready for the next one? I ask because Builds tend to change things behind the scenes so the more you try the more likely the changes are and if you havent totally wiped everything clean there's a possibilty that you have an accumulation of changes acting together which is slowing things down.

My advice would be to wipe everything clean and start again from scratch, at least as far as Kodi is concerned - probably best to uninstall Kodi via Android and use ES File Explorer to check everything Kodi\Build\add-on related truly is gone. You have no idea what has been left behind by the Builds you have tried out and if there is an a accumulation of stuff (old bitmaps, databases, caches etc.) then they're just going to stay there eating up the space until you get rid of them.

Hold off for a bit though until you get some more replies, see what other people think of your situation.

flycaster

Feb 20, 2017
I'm fairly certain, but not 100%, that I did a fresh install of Kodi when I decided to do my own build.

Considering what I presently "know" what I have on Kodi (the stuff listed in my post,) do you think that the 211MB free space as reported by **** Wizard is about right, or should I have more MBs free? If so, what would be a reasonable amount of free space available to have the interface move along more rapidly? I have a new 2nd generation Firestick.

EDIT: Here's what I did to clean up Kodi before I did my own build. I did a freshstart using A*** Wizard, but assuming that this would be good enough, I didn't do anything else. Was this good enough?

Last edited:

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
I don't know the Fire Stick memory layout but 211MB for a 1GB Android box is about right. If you have been changing cache sizes in advancedsettings.xml then that's going to have an affect on things especially if it's using up a considerable amount of RAM.

There is an Android app called Startup Manager that will show you what apps are automatically being loaded on startup and lets you prevent them from running. This will free up some memory but not to a major extent I'm afraid.

flycaster

Feb 20, 2017
... If you have been changing cache sizes in advancedsettings.xml then that's going to have an affect on things especially if it's using up a considerable amount of RAM......Not sure what you mean. I have been using A***Wizard to delete cache, packages and thumbnails thinking this would free up stuff...

There is an Android app called Startup Manager that will show you what apps are automatically being loaded on startup and lets you prevent them from running. This will free up some memory but not to a major extent I'm afraid....Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out...

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
The asterisked package you are using to clean up your Kodi is doing all the right things i.e. clearing down all the major stuff (a lot of these cleaners don't touch the thumbnails.) Now it's *possible* that you or something else has set a value called cachemembuffer that you will find in a file called advancedsettings.xml which allocates an amount of RAM to be used as a buffer for cacheing video. This value if set too high can Gob**e up what amount of RAM you do have thus causing problems when you try and run add-ons that need the memory.

I don't know if this is the case with you or not but it's worth looking into. Most maintenance packages can pull up this figure for you and let you change it, others automate the process and set it for you (hint Tweaks), but at the end of the day you don't need to have this set at all on low RAM systems.

BTW the Fire Stick has 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage....all the packages, thumbnails and other caches use up that 8GB storage while the 1GB RAM is used for what's actually running - Android, apps, Kodi itself, the add-ons you use and of course the video cache (if a value has been set as per the last paragraph.) This is why you can't radically do much about how much free RAM you have since you use a large percentage of that 1GB just by switching on the Stick.

flycaster

Feb 20, 2017
The asterisked package you are using to clean up your Kodi is doing all the right things i.e. clearing down all the major stuff (a lot of these cleaners don't touch the thumbnails.) Now it's *possible* that you or something else has set a value called cachemembuffer that you will find in a file called advancedsettings.xml which allocates an amount of RAM to be used as a buffer for cacheing video. This value if set too high can Gob**e up what amount of RAM you do have thus causing problems when you try and run add-ons that need the memory.

I don't know if this is the case with you or not but it's worth looking into. Most maintenance packages can pull up this figure for you and let you change it, others automate the process and set it for you (hint Tweaks), but at the end of the day you don't need to have this set at all on low RAM systems.

BTW the Fire Stick has 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage....all the packages, thumbnails and other caches use up that 8GB storage while the 1GB RAM is used for what's actually running - Android, apps, Kodi itself, the add-ons you use and of course the video cache (if a value has been set as per the last paragraph.) This is why you can't radically do much about how much free RAM you have since you use a large percentage of that 1GB just by switching on the Stick.
The wizard that I am using to maximize buffering doesn't seem to be using too high a figure. After I zero out cache, thumbnails and packages, the wizard does take 10% less than the 1/3 the available MBs, which comes out to about 63MBs.

As I am new to firestick/kodi, I guess I have to get used to some of the subtleties related to using the device/app. Although I have not experienced streaming problem (which is great,) I am now learning that I will have to get used to some of the slowness when manipulating through certain apps. It seems to me, that to get to an end point, some apps are just faster than others and some times a fast app may run slower than expected. Hey, what can you expect for nothing?

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Hi all. I'm new to Kodi on my recently purchased Firestick. I have been muddling through for the last couple of weeks on my own, but now I can use some help...or, maybe a lot of help (LOL). I first started using builds, but they all seemed to take up too much space, so I decided to do my own with minimal addons. Assuming that will fewer addons, the interface would speed up - BTW, testing speed with **** indicated that there would be no trouble with streaming...and there isn't. Also, after clearing cache, thumbnails and packages with ****, **** indicated that I had 211MB free space.

Here's what I got when going to addons:
VIDEO: Pho*nix, Ex**us, UFC, Indigo, Spor**dev*l, **** Wizard, Pro S**rts, Al*uc, You Tube
PROGRAM: Indigo, **** Wizard, F4MProxy, TVA Log
ANROID (no of which I expect to use maybe except for ES File Exlorer and Downloader): Apps, Media Session, Prime Photos, Gamecode, KFTV Luncher, Shop Amazon, Amazon Videos, Amazon Music

So, as things now stand, it seems to me that when using my addons (eg, Ex**us or Pho*nix), it takes a while (maybe longer than it should - I really don't know, but it seems to take a long time) to get to where I want to be. Bottom line is: How can I speed up the time between selecting an app and getting to my end point? Thanks in advance for you help.
This may not be the cause of the issue that you are having, but I recently had an issue with similar slow loading of the interface on my setup. It turned out that directory cache is broken in Kodi 17. This made all sorts of things load slowly. I think there is a fix in the works.

I use SPMC on Android so I downgraded to an earlier version before the issue started and now my box loads snappy again.

Might be something worth looking into.

flycaster

Feb 20, 2017
This may not be the cause of the issue that you are having, but I recently had an issue with similar slow loading of the interface on my setup. It turned out that directory cache is broken in Kodi 17. This made all sorts of things load slowly. I think there is a fix in the works.

I use SPMC on Android so I downgraded to an earlier version before the issue started and now my box loads snappy again.

Might be something worth looking into.
Broken cache directory, does sound like a reasonable explanation for the slow sown that I'm experiencing. Is there any way that I can determine if this is the case for my setup?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Kodi Support 2
C Kodi Support 1
S Random Topics 2