Minimum download speed for viewability

joytotheworld

Oct 9, 2015
Hi all,
Our current ISP (DSL) has Max 7Mbs download.
I just tested it and it was 4Mbs.
This seems low by today's standards.
What's the lower limit for viewable streaming without lag and buffering issues?
Sounds as though we should switch to cable.
$$$
:(

Highcroft

Jun 2, 2015
4mbs is way too low I should imagine, I'm on 70Mbs (Vermin) and even I struggle sometimes with true 1080, there's also the factors of how busy the server is and what quality the stream is, the better the quality the more bandwidth required, but I would definitely be looking around for a better ISP if I was you.

dart12

Sep 24, 2015
I don't quite understand how this works for best results. We have 20mbs in ohio and can find something workable in about 4 tries.

In florida, we had same 20 mbs and it was almost impossible to get something played. We bumped it to 75 mbs yesterday. Had success for 2 shows and then couldn't get anything to play on the 3rd. A show that is a week old and popular.

All this is on genesis module and a new android box. I'm willing to invest in another box if that may be the problem.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I don't quite understand how this works for best results. We have 20mbs in ohio and can find something workable in about 4 tries.

In florida, we had same 20 mbs and it was almost impossible to get something played. We bumped it to 75 mbs yesterday. Had success for 2 shows and then couldn't get anything to play on the 3rd. A show that is a week old and popular.

All this is on genesis module and a new android box. I'm willing to invest in another box if that may be the problem.
Genesis is no longer being developed and is starting to fail. If you stick with SD links, if you have an account with Al*uc and/or Ororo you will still have some luck but you might just get bad links. I have moved on from Genesis fot these reasons. I am getting setup with SA*TS right now and getting much better results now.

Lambda might come up with a different addon to fix this but Genesis is on the way out.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Hi all,
Our current ISP (DSL) has Max 7Mbs download.
I just tested it and it was 4Mbs.
This seems low by today's standards.
What's the lower limit for viewable streaming without lag and buffering issues?
Sounds as though we should switch to cable.
$$$
:(
It might still work but you will need to be very patient. When you click on a link, you might have time to go to the corner store to pick up a pint of coffee cream. With the proper advancedsettings.xml you could give it time to do its buffereing and once it has filled its buffer, you should be able to play just about anything. Note that HD would most certainly be out of the question for you.

joytotheworld

Oct 9, 2015
Thanks all for you replies.
Believe it or not we have had some good success with Popcorn Time (no longer, of course), Genesis and Ic*f*lms.
Many were in HD and yes, I click a link and tell everyone to come by once it starts 3-5 minutes later.
:)
Switching to cable (60Mbs) shortly.

Highcroft

Jun 2, 2015
Great move joy, I'm sure the extra speed will make for better viewing, totally agree with Ravrob, Genesis was probably the most popular addon and as such got the most traffic,which resulted in buffering issues, do try other sources, Pri**wire, Pho*nix and SA*TS and hopefully you will see much better results

bracky1

Aug 15, 2013
Scotland
I went from 6mbps to 70mbps, no real difference in the amount of streams that buffered.

If you press O (not zero) you'll see the stream info, in general, 2.5mbps is enough to stream HD as long as no other devices are using bandwidth.