Request MX2 Owner Opinions Changing from Android to OpenELEC?

QueenBM3

Mar 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
:)I would like to know personal opinions of consumers like myself who have experienced the switch from the original android software to OpenELEC....... I am SERIOUSLY Considering flashing my MX2 due to the constant issues I tend to have with software, performance, networking and storage. The software is basically settings for a smart phone and I feel that in itself is why I have so many issues with it! About a week ago I upgraded to KODI 15.0 on my MX2 and it basically threw it into shock and it acts like a PC does right before you get the fatal BLUE SCREEN......so I uninstalled it and went back to Gotham 14.2

These are some of the Consistent issues I have had since the purchase

1.) software and settings are basically a smart phone that you cant use a phone!
2.) the deleted/uninstalled apps and KODI upgraded versions, for some reason will not delete from the internal memory! which causes the performance issues....the android deleted apps show 4.25GB of space used and no way I can find to delete it.
3. firmware is current 4.2.2 but OTA updater does not work still, (never has worked), I am not able to share any files or even get to it for that matter on my network which confuses me! (but that could be my lack of knowledge/understanding how it works.)
4. Buffering SUCKS only on the MX2 no matter what settings I change in the box or in KODI.

I have great cable connection 1GB speed... modem to router
DLINK DIR-655 (could use a newer one)
GBOX MX2 is direct LAN connection into router and has 16GB USB storage No SDcard
All PC's are Win7 networked with NO buffering or performance issues in KODI Gotham 14.2

Most of the Addon's in KODI either have script errors or just don't work at all and I am familiar with all the issues you guys have had with blocked links etc. and honestly find an answer to my problem fairly quickly when using the forums. I appreciate all of you Genius's who develop, Volunteer and donate your time to KODI and Thank you for everything you guys' and gals do.

I just need some honest consumer/user opinions and keep in mind I have basic knowledge in the technology...what I do know I have learned from troubleshooting and reading here in the fourms. I understand the switching of the software from Android to OpenElec but I would like to know the transition ease of others like me that are new to the technology and/or basic knowledge ......LOL
Thank You in Advance for your advice!

Vickie aka QueenBM3

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Android is a primarily a smart phone O/S, hence you have a load of smart phone settings on there. IMO it should just be kept to mobile phones, as it doesn't work on anything else. With regards the MX2 box, I used to have one & these boxes are old and flaky, I flashed it with Linux & it was ok for a time, but I ended up binning it and buying a htpc. Never looked back since, it just works. I'd suggest doing the same :)

Hope42

Sep 4, 2013
B.C. Canada
Owned my MX2 for 2+ years. Also have Mygica 1800e, Matricom G Box Q.

Best of the three is the Mygica.

Back to the MX2. Running it on firmware V. 1.1.6, Gotham 13.2. Runs fine.

A week ago, I factory reset and loaded Helix 14.2. Ran okay, however the 3 D launcher does not work with Helix 14.2.

So missing that, I erased everything and went back to Gotham.

In time, unless you convert to OpenElec, use it while Gotham still works, unless you can live without the 3 D launcher, then Helix works fine.

I am running it on Wifi, into my second remote. Like having Android, then I can load my own Addon's from the Github, Youtube, or where ever I can find them.

For General Kodi Addons, Spor**dev*l, and Canadian programming, still can't beat a $99.00 box.

Paid more for the Q, and lots more for the Mygica (my best box).

Gave the Q to my daughter, she hasn't phoned for help, so it must be working.

I find the MX2, reliable, and simplistic.

offroad

Oct 16, 2013
Android is on AMAZON fire tv with kodi side loaded. Find it works great on that less than $85 platform. Yes more flexibility with other platforms.

Dramaking

Nov 22, 2014
I run kodi on a spare PC BUT never run versions which are not oficially released. So I'm running 14.2 at the moment. Version 15 is under test and will have errors.

The Amazon fire tv looks interesting for running kodi with a reasonable price. It's not worth laying out big money unless you're happy with the system then you can move on and up if you want. That's how I do things.

I also run OE on a Rasp. A bit slow but it gets there and is fun. BTW the Apple TV 2 which people have been jailbreaking for use on Kodi is no longer supported by TV Addons.

Friffy1

May 18, 2013
:)I would like to know personal opinions of consumers like myself who have experienced the switch from the original android software to OpenELEC....... I am SERIOUSLY Considering flashing my MX2 due to the constant issues I tend to have with software, performance, networking and storage. The software is basically settings for a smart phone and I feel that in itself is why I have so many issues with it! About a week ago I upgraded to KODI 15.0 on my MX2 and it basically threw it into shock and it acts like a PC does right before you get the fatal BLUE SCREEN......so I uninstalled it and went back to Gotham 14.2

These are some of the Consistent issues I have had since the purchase

1.) software and settings are basically a smart phone that you cant use a phone!
2.) the deleted/uninstalled apps and KODI upgraded versions, for some reason will not delete from the internal memory! which causes the performance issues....the android deleted apps show 4.25GB of space used and no way I can find to delete it.
3. firmware is current 4.2.2 but OTA updater does not work still, (never has worked), I am not able to share any files or even get to it for that matter on my network which confuses me! (but that could be my lack of knowledge/understanding how it works.)
4. Buffering SUCKS only on the MX2 no matter what settings I change in the box or in KODI.

I have great cable connection 1GB speed... modem to router
DLINK DIR-655 (could use a newer one)
GBOX MX2 is direct LAN connection into router and has 16GB USB storage No SDcard
All PC's are Win7 networked with NO buffering or performance issues in KODI Gotham 14.2

Most of the Addon's in KODI either have script errors or just don't work at all and I am familiar with all the issues you guys have had with blocked links etc. and honestly find an answer to my problem fairly quickly when using the forums. I appreciate all of you Genius's who develop, Volunteer and donate your time to KODI and Thank you for everything you guys' and gals do.

I just need some honest consumer/user opinions and keep in mind I have basic knowledge in the technology...what I do know I have learned from troubleshooting and reading here in the fourms. I understand the switching of the software from Android to OpenElec but I would like to know the transition ease of others like me that are new to the technology and/or basic knowledge ......LOL
Thank You in Advance for your advice!

Vickie aka QueenBM3
I got rid of Android on my Gbox within a few months of owning it. For me, Linux works so much better. GUI was snappy as hell and I've had no problems. Since then my father and brother both still use Android on theirs. My brother always has issues that I never see. My father's is always fine, but I maintain his for him. I just bought another Gbox that I plan on keeping Android on primarily as a test bed to help my Dad when he needs it.

And I should take back what I said about no problems. At one point I did reach a state where my storage became full due to icon storage. When that happened it became horrible to use. My only solution was to wipe the entire image cache. Worked great. I got my super-fast Gbox back. I figure if I have to do that once every 2 years, I'm okay with that.

Anyway... That's my opinion.

QueenBM3

Mar 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I want to thank everyone who has commented so far.....I ended up going back to Helix 14.2 for now and have decided that OpenElec will be the direction I go. Everything is working on the Helix for now and when I have a day that I can devote my complete attention these next few weeksI will switch over and update my experience.....Again, thank you for your support and advice

AL8782

Jan 17, 2014
OpenELEC is the way to go. Just make sure you always wait 30+ seconds to power box on after shutdown. Otherwise you could run into Bootloop problems.

QueenBM3

Mar 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
Clarificaction flashing to OpenELEC on the MX2

OK....yesterday, I finally stopped procrastinating and attempted to flash the GBox to the OpenELEC....the only device I seem to have consistent issues with is my G-Box MX2 the factory settings are marginal and hasn't been able to update since the beginning.....KODI 14.2 Helix was the program I had the LEAST amount of issues with overall outside the 5 minute boot-up and the Unfixable YouTube script error I couldn't seem to resolve....I have a Win7 PC & RCA 10" tablet that are smooth running with KODI 14.2 Helix and so far I have no problems.....(I knock on wood so my friend Murphy doesn't hear.....lol}
Didn't Work.....so I loaded KODI 15.0 and used the config tool for android until I can figure out what I am doing wrong......and its full of script errors and wont even update or download most of the addons..............:confused::eek::confused:
Bare with me please!:rolleyes:
Ok.....I followed instructions from http://matricom.net/install-openelec-xbmc-g-box-mx2/ and watched the YT videos......I flashed the drive with the required download http://files.matricom.net/MX2/Firmware/OpenELEC.zip and did not get the results of having just the OpenELEC on the device......it just went back to factory settings!........after reviewing different videos I obviously am doing it correctly ..... What I have missed, {I think), are a few VERY SPECIFIC details in the process that I need to get clarification on with you guys before I try again.......

One video specifically by XCtechs https://youtu.be/jKtL6sKfDwI specifically stated to Drag and Drop the files onto the SD Drive and mentioned that you can only use an SD Card and not a usb drive........which is not specifically stated in the written instructions......I know this sounds stupid but once the flash files are downloaded do I extract them or copy them to the drive.....AND I only have a usb drive for flashing and know I can use the sideload but I am not sure which to choose....I chose each option in the list an none of them worked..........so I think one of my steps is creating the problem........:confused::eek:

I would like to thank all of you who dedicate your expertise and time to create and offer the world KODI and all the wonderful things it offers......I know I don't have a clue to it's capabilities but I appreciate each and every one of you for what you have given me using it.............Cheers from The Confederate State of Texas!.....LOL sorry I had to throw that in there with all the nonsense going on ....... ;)
Matricom G Box Midnight MX2
ANDROID VER: 4.2.2
BUILD: JDQ39.20130924
KERNAL VERSION: [email protected] #1
Mon Sep 23 21:12:51 CST

QueenBM3

Mar 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I turned on the box today and OpenELEC wont load the program and run it.......nothing has has happened on my end that would of caused it to just freak....I have tried to reboot it several times and every different way I can come up with......I currently the screen is flashing back and forth from the background image to the Kodi helix icon start up page.......each time it does something weird and different......the only thing I haven't done is completely start over from scratch....any suggestions

Kutty

Sep 30, 2015
I use my MX2 with OpenElec 5.0.3 and is great! Runs Kodi 14.2 and everything works except the scroll button my wireless mouse. Most of the add-ons are still not compatible with Kodi 15.x and therefore no need to worry about Kodi 15.x. My only concerns are: 1) There is no Internet Browser in OpenElec 2) There is no clue available on how to upgrade to latest versions of OpenElec on this box, the current version on their site is 5.0.9 and 6.0 is in Beta. If anyone has any advice, it will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

AL8782

Jan 17, 2014
I like 5.0.3 Helix 14.1 on the MX2 compared to 5.95.3.2. The 5.0.3 seems to run so much smother with Helix the Isengard. I can't open total installed to run a speed test on 5.0.3. Just freeze and box reboots.

I personally use the G Box Q with OpenELEC 5.0.8 Helix 14.2. I have 5.9.5 for the Q box. But like Helix better.

ute

Dec 16, 2012
agree Helix does seem better than Isengard ( 5.95 is sluggy on MX2 )

n2play

Apr 4, 2013
Flashed my MX2 to openelec last month. Now I wish I had done it year before last :) It was always one issue after another on the Android side, lately I was only using it when I was doing something that needed to be undisturbed on my media PC. I got spoiled with Kodi working well on the PC, so when it died and the MX2 became my only TV it didn't take me long to make that often put off plunge of flashing the box to get me by till I replace the PC.

It's much more stable. I still get an occasional lockup, but not regular like Kodi/Android. Speed is better too. It breathed new life into this box, so it will get use even after the PC replacement arrives :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X Random Topics 0
S Random Topics 16
D Computers 5