MXQ adroid box with 4.4.2 says I need new box with os 5

xcaret

Nov 6, 2015
Is my old MXq adroid box that is running 4.4.2 version of android dead ?
The screen shows I need a new box with version 5 0S
I went to Ex**us and that's where I read it.
I have not used it for several weeks ,and just turned it on today ,
Thanks

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
You will eventually. But if it still works for now, might as well keep it. You might be able to update your OS to 5.0 though. Not sure about the MXq...you would have to research that. Eventually you will need Krypton and that only runs on OS 5 or newer.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
You can replace Android with a proprietary version of Linux on the box and then upgrade to Krypton... You won't have an Android box, but you will be able to still use it for Kodi...

https://libreelec.tv/

xcaret

Nov 6, 2015
Thanks for the advise , I just ordered 3 MXQ boxes with android 6 on them .
I'm in Canada and they come from china.

satcabler68

Jan 3, 2014
to find out what your box has go to system then system info it will tell what the box is like 4.4.2 or 5.1.1 etc.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
really lol...I would go for the shield personally, but hey some people like Chevy and some like Ford, although I don't no why..
Most people that are using cheap Chinese boxes are not ready to invest in a Shield, the Mi Box at Walmart is a nice compromise while still getting a legit Google TV OS device, wihtout a high price tag...

zemelya

Aug 6, 2015
Exactly. I have 5 TV in the house, a little bit expensive to have NVidia on all of them. It is the best but one of the most expensive ones. MI BOX is awesome, even though I have some issues to run some famous addons, to stream, I mean. But the box is great, very smooth, totally agreed. Wouldn't mind 3 GB RAM but, hey, for $70.00 can't get all you want