Need a little help to update to kodi 16.1

gronk

Apr 11, 2015
Currently running Kodi 15.0 on Android box. Have both Addon Installer and Config Wizard installed. I have searched everywhere and read all the blogs on installing Kodi, but all are silent on upgrading Kodi from one version to a higher version; having trouble finding the repository for Kodi 16.1. using the Addon installer. So, how do I upgrade?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
go right to the kodi site and download it its kodi.tv/download

OR go to the google play store

Remember to hit "all" to write over your current settings when installing if it asks you. "New" if you want to start all over again and build from scratch

Last edited:

vesarious

Jul 23, 2012
1) "Windows" goto tvaddons.co website.
2) Scroll down and it will show you versions for different platforms.
3) select your version and it explains how to install but it will list DOWNLOAD in the explanation. Click on that and it will give you the file.
4) Install and follow the prompts. Once completed goto System and file manager and add the fusion site. Instructions clearly show you pictures as to how to do that

" ANDROID"
1) goto playstore outside of the kodi program.. usually the APPS section in most boxes. You will have to make sure you have a google account to do that. I recommend not using a tv box for personal emails and other personal stuff like facebook. Create an anonamous email account in google. Once done open playstore and search KODI. Install it. Once completed, as before for windows install the fusion installer and then run the config wizard. Its actually quite easy once you follow the process clearly.
Sometimes the wizard doesnt completely work. You may have to add some programs manually.

Goto Programs and Addon installer and manually add programs from the FEATURED folder.

Lets be clear.. Boxes will work continually if they are allowed to update. If you turn your box off for extended periods it will cause the unit to not prompt properly and things will start getting funky. I always tell people to simply leave the box on within KODI and switch your TV to cable or what ever. When you come back to it it will be ready to rock.

Also fixing minor errors is easy.

Kodi is like your kitchen cupboard. The top shelf has your most favorite apps. The second shelf is the storage for those same programs and others that have been installed but not necesarily used. The third shelf is the potential for being installed plus everything that is installed.

So.. The first shelf is your desktop. The second shelf is you ADDONS folder and the third shelf is the "GET MORE" at the bottom of theADDONS folder.

To fix major issues goto the third shelf and simply find the offending program.. Uninstall and re-install. Voila.
Pay close attention to the version of what your installing as sometimes if the Addon Installer is out dated your simply re installing the problem.

Your android box is not a bottomless memory pit so really think smart about what addons you want and need.. The more environment space and memory your box has the better you will be.

If you have questionable internet, slow internet or long distance to the router its smart to consider a direct network cable connection but you can also back off the overall resolution to 720P which will improve bandwidth.

Most important.. READ.READ READ READ READ READ.. then READ. You learn by doing and finding the issue. You will never be the first to see a problem I guarentee.. The forum is the best place to get your answer.. and when you have done all that.. Come back and share what you have learned and help others get through it..

If you just want to watch free TV and not be involved you wont last long it may get frustrating.. Being involved even for an hour a week makes a huge difference and makes everyone benifit..then others expand and create and we get a much better product.

Good Luck and I hope you get everything working good..

Oh.. When you contribute here.. really try hard not to give 5 word posts. Explain it.. It makes sense to you but may not to others..

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
The guy has an android box, Why give windows instructions and all this other info that has nothing to do with his question?

I think you have taken your response to the opposite extreme.

Please don't tell other contributors how to contribute. If 5 word reponses answer the question then whats the problem? We do this voluntarily.

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
1) "Windows" goto tvaddons.co website.
2) Scroll down and it will show you versions for different platforms.
3) select your version and it explains how to install but it will list DOWNLOAD in the explanation. Click on that and it will give you the file.
4) Install and follow the prompts. Once completed goto System and file manager and add the fusion site. Instructions clearly show you pictures as to how to do that

" ANDROID"
1) goto playstore outside of the kodi program.. usually the APPS section in most boxes. You will have to make sure you have a google account to do that. I recommend not using a tv box for personal emails and other personal stuff like facebook. Create an anonamous email account in google. Once done open playstore and search KODI. Install it. Once completed, as before for windows install the fusion installer and then run the config wizard. Its actually quite easy once you follow the process clearly.
Sometimes the wizard doesnt completely work. You may have to add some programs manually.

Goto Programs and Addon installer and manually add programs from the FEATURED folder.

Lets be clear.. Boxes will work continually if they are allowed to update. If you turn your box off for extended periods it will cause the unit to not prompt properly and things will start getting funky. I always tell people to simply leave the box on within KODI and switch your TV to cable or what ever. When you come back to it it will be ready to rock.

Also fixing minor errors is easy.

Kodi is like your kitchen cupboard. The top shelf has your most favorite apps. The second shelf is the storage for those same programs and others that have been installed but not necesarily used. The third shelf is the potential for being installed plus everything that is installed.

So.. The first shelf is your desktop. The second shelf is you ADDONS folder and the third shelf is the "GET MORE" at the bottom of theADDONS folder.

To fix major issues goto the third shelf and simply find the offending program.. Uninstall and re-install. Voila.
Pay close attention to the version of what your installing as sometimes if the Addon Installer is out dated your simply re installing the problem.

Your android box is not a bottomless memory pit so really think smart about what addons you want and need.. The more environment space and memory your box has the better you will be.

If you have questionable internet, slow internet or long distance to the router its smart to consider a direct network cable connection but you can also back off the overall resolution to 720P which will improve bandwidth.

Most important.. READ.READ READ READ READ READ.. then READ. You learn by doing and finding the issue. You will never be the first to see a problem I guarentee.. The forum is the best place to get your answer.. and when you have done all that.. Come back and share what you have learned and help others get through it..

If you just want to watch free TV and not be involved you wont last long it may get frustrating.. Being involved even for an hour a week makes a huge difference and makes everyone benifit..then others expand and create and we get a much better product.

Good Luck and I hope you get everything working good..

Oh.. When you contribute here.. really try hard not to give 5 word posts. Explain it.. It makes sense to you but may not to others..
what was wrong with thelion's response?? I thought it was right to the point and easy to understand.....

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I don't understand what you're saying here, uninstall/re-install will do nothing except, as you say, "re-install the problem".

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
I'll take the 5 word post all day, over your way too long boring all over the place response.just get to the point!

mreleganza

Oct 2, 2015
The issue I have updating Kodi on my Android box (M8s) via the Play Store is that it doesn't recognize that the version I have of Kodi (15.2) is not the current version, so it just suggests I "open" rather than "download," or give me an update option.

Which would all be well and good, except I don't want to lost my add-ons in upgrading to 16.1. Hence, I don't want to chuck the old version before starting the new version.

Any suggestions?

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
The issue I have updating Kodi on my Android box (M8s) via the Play Store is that it doesn't recognize that the version I have of Kodi (15.2) is not the current version, so it just suggests I "open" rather than "download," or give me an update option.

Which would all be well and good, except I don't want to lost my add-ons in upgrading to 16.1. Hence, I don't want to chuck the old version before starting the new version.

Any suggestions?
just download it and install it. if you really want to upgrade, if you lose something just re-install. it's simple and good practice for you.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
The kodi wiki has a clear article in saving your kodi settings.

It's very simple you copy your addon Folder and userdata folder to any medium such as micro SD card or USB stick.
Use es file explorer, download it from the play store, in es file eplorer go to settings/ display settings check "show the select button" box and "show hidden fikes" box.

Then there's a path to your kodi files
Local/Home/android/data/org.kodi/files/kodi
Now you can see the addon data and userdata folders.

Save them and copy over the new ones after your new kodi instalation then no matter where you get it from it will be just like your old kodi

Basically the addon folder has all your installed addons and repos, the userdata folder has your kodi settings and logins and passwords and addon settings.

It's very simple, now you're a pro. Once you do this then you can do it forever. We will help you if you get into a jam.

And as mentioned there's nothing wrong with building it from scratch either, just install kodi, install fusion, install the addon installer, and go to town.

Last edited:

gronk

Apr 11, 2015
As for myself, following the instructions provided by "TheLion", I was able to update to Jarvis. Considering the help I have received in these forums, I am left with no choice but to donate.

vesarious

Jul 23, 2012
The guy has an android box, Why give windows instructions and all this other info that has nothing to do with his question?

I think you have taken your response to the opposite extreme.

Please don't tell other contributors how to contribute. If 5 word reponses answer the question then whats the problem? We do this voluntarily.
Thank You the Lion for your message but my response was fine. Sorry you dont like it but its fine. Most people want to expand there use of the software and the best place to start is the web site. From their I explained what I have done and others have done as well. Again I apreciate your willingness to comment but the point is to help. Many of you like these 2 word short answers but Im not one of them. Most people dont understand the short explanation and many who havent done this very much usually get caught up with responces that arent enough.. They forget that the people they are instructed are blind.
Regardless.. Thank You and Best Wishes.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
Hey, Hey now. Hang on a minute. Whats wrong with blind people? :D
Just kidding

Last edited: