need help to set up media center

spongebob

Oct 28, 2012
hey this is a copy and paste from my thread on another site and was invited here ....i have onkyo receiver with energy speakers and a sony xbr9 tv, for me its pretty good system and really enjoy it , i would love to have it a media center as well using my atv2 & computer , not sure where to start , what would be the best programme to install on my atv2 to run a media center , for music movies pics etc....thanks:eek::eek::eek::eek:

spongebob

Oct 28, 2012
im a little dissappointed with the site i was hoping to get some feed back, or maybe its just me asking some dumb ass questions

Mikey1234

Banned
May 6, 2012
UK
Nothing's a dumb ass question

Apart from asking what's the best thing to put on your atv for media centre when you are here

Xbmc is a media centre there are plenty of guides her to set you up

jas0npc

Banned
May 5, 2012
UK
Can only repeat what others have said to you, Please take your time to read the various threads on here that explain how to jailbreak your atv2 and then install xbmc...

We have some great people here who are only too willing to help, give us a chance man..

spongebob

Oct 28, 2012
thanks for responding guys...my atv2 is jb and of course i have xbmc , its great but never really took advantage of all it has to offer , did some reading awhile back and found out alot of peeps use it for media center , i dont have any experience with media centers so i was hoping for a little guidance to start me off like which addon would be best to start with ...thanks

Panda Monium

Oct 12, 2012
XBMC & Apple TV is the ultimate combination for a home media center... You will want to go ahead and install fusion. This is the easiest way to install addons.
http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/fusion-easy-addon-installation-for-xbmc/

As far as which addons to install it depends what you want...

TV SHOWS & MOVIES:

1Ch**nel (bstrdsmkr repo)
Project Free TV (eldorado repo)
Tube Plus (anikuj repo)
TV Links (anikuj repo)
Ice Films (anorchintosh repo)
AwesomeDL (jas0npc repo)

LIVE TV
Filmon (Mikey1234 repo)
Na*i-X (in Programs menu)
Livestreams (require XML file)
Veetle (under Video --> Addons)

SPORTS
Spor**dev*l (Maxmusterman repo)
Flash Stream Sports (morstar repo)
Veetle
Na*i-X

MUSIC
Grooveshark
MTV Music Videos
Mikey's Karaoke
Radio

These are the addons which I would recommend for an XBMC install. There are hundreds of other amazing plugins which you can explore. All the above addons can all be found in fusion, you will find these addons and repositories in the Video section. If you use a Mac computer I would recommend checking out the XBMC HUB WIZARD which will be available for PC in the near future.

Last edited:

jas0npc

Banned
May 5, 2012
UK
Lol this post should be turned into a welcome post and sent to every new person who signs up to the forum.
Not mine the 1 above me:eek:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
im a little dissappointed with the site i was hoping to get some feed back, or maybe its just me asking some dumb ass questions
I will say, I get really frustrated when folks post a question and if not answered with in less than a day they claim disappointment with our community and site our site. Seems a bit unfair for a volunteer army to be knocked down for something so small... So gives us a little time,me will find you. ;)

That rant aside, yes... We OBVIOUSLY WOULD RECOMMEND XBMC.

I would recommend starting with pamda's post. Pretty much nailed it on the head. Search first and you will find good answers to most all of your STARTING OFF questions. Our community is hell bent on helping people learn of a,aging XBMC IS AND CAN BE ;)

Enjoy the journey!

Last edited:

spongebob

Oct 28, 2012
I will say, I get really frustrated when folks post a question and if not answered with in less than a day they claim disappointment with our community and site our site. Seems a bit unfair for a volunteer army to be knocked down for something so small... So gives us a little time,me will find you. ;)

That rant aside, yes... We OBVIOUSLY WOULD RECOMMEND XBMC.

I would recommend starting with pamda's post. Pretty much nailed it on the head. Search first and you will find good answers to most all of your STARTING OFF questions. Our community is hell bent on helping people learn of a,aging XBMC IS AND CAN BE ;)

Enjoy the journey!
im sorry for my rude comments i hope you except my apology,
i guess i didn't explain myself well , i already have most of Panda's addons he listed, what i am looking for is some sort of programme or addon that would have folders for music , movies , pictures etc. and could access my pc to retieve where most would be stored on my hard drive , is there something that could do this and if so what could you recommend ...thanks

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Yes... XBMC. I am confused because XBMC is that software. Yes it has addons, but the main menu has sections for music, movies, tvshows, pictures, etc.

You can add sources to XBMC from any hardware connected to your network.

Seriously... Take a look t the homepage I linked you to in the post above for hides on all of these things.

Is the problem that you are not liking XBMC as a media center and you are looking for something else, or are you simply unaware of the features XBMC has to offer in totality? Honest question, not a sarcastic retort ;)

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
i already have most of Panda's addons he listed, what i am looking for is some sort of programme or addon that would have folders for music , movies , pictures etc. and could access my pc to retieve where most would be stored on my hard drive , is there something that could do this and if so what could you recommend ...thanks
XBMC has movies, music, movies, tv shows and videos sections amongst others,
you need to set up your pc to be able to share your media collection across your network, for instance I have mine set up as Windows SMB shares, you can also use upnp, dlna nfs and more,
once you have set up your pc to share you can then go to the various XBMC sections, I.E if you want to get to the music collection stored on your pc, go to the music section of XBMC then choose add source and browse for the place you set up on your pc for your music and add it.
XBMC is the closest to the complete media centre you can find if you set it up correctly,
its getting late for me and I have to retire for the night so don't have a chance to look but is there not tuts for this kind of thing on the site? I'm sure there used to be

spongebob

Oct 28, 2012
XBMC has movies, music, movies, tv shows and videos sections amongst others,
you need to set up your pc to be able to share your media collection across your network, for instance I have mine set up as Windows SMB shares, you can also use upnp, dlna nfs and more,
once you have set up your pc to share you can then go to the various XBMC sections, I.E if you want to get to the music collection stored on your pc, go to the music section of XBMC then choose add source and browse for the place you set up on your pc for your music and add it.
XBMC is the closest to the complete media centre you can find if you set it up correctly,
its getting late for me and I have to retire for the night so don't have a chance to look but is there not tuts for this kind of thing on the site? I'm sure there used to be
this is exactly what im looking for , i will look around for tuts on this so i can understand it better and hopefully set it up correctly thanks for the guidance

umOUCH.....none taken...unaware of the features XBMC has to offer in totality.... yes im just dumb ass newb trying to figure how it works... and i love xbmc

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
No worries... Usually once a user has installed XBMC they are already aware of what it is... S I wasn't understanding the question. But now we are on the same page.

Under every menu section you will see an option to add a source.
Clicking this will bring up a menu of available ways to add sources.
If you are connecting to network connected devices, like a Pc In the office and your ATV is in the family room, you need to enable your computer to share via UpNP or SMB... to share the access of certain folders.

For me, the easiest, and free'ist way to do this is to install XBMC on both devices. In XBMC on your pc, go to each section and add the appropriate folders for each item. After that is done you can go to settings/network/ in XBMC, othe PC, and enable the option to SHARE YOUR CONTENT VIA UPnP.

No go to the ATV and with each section, movie-tvshows-pictures-music, choose to add a source.... You will now choose UPnP and give it a few seconds. You will see the name of your other computer pop up and you will be given the ability to chooses the different media options you already have stored....

Hope any of this helped or made sense ;) good luck and let us know if you get going and still ave questions.

spongebob

Oct 28, 2012
thanks umOUCH ... that has simplified it for me and i actually understand what your saying lol...its late for me so i will start on it tomorrow and let you know how i make

ccmix

May 7, 2012
You can add all of your media in xbmc. I am not to familiar with ATV as I use my htpc. But I am sure you can set up your pc and Apple TV on the same network. When you do you can set up a library under each category. Lets say you wanted to add movies. If you go to the video tab, you will see files, you can add files and point it to the directory your movie are on and name it whatever you want. I think most skins even have a movie tab to add them. You can do the same with pictures and music. Hope this helps. I would go into more detail but am still pretty new at this as well. Good luck.

wcleafs2002

May 10, 2012
hey this is a copy and paste from my thread on another site and was invited here ....i have onkyo receiver with energy speakers and a sony xbr9 tv, for me its pretty good system and really enjoy it , i would love to have it a media center as well using my atv2 & computer , not sure where to start , what would be the best programme to install on my atv2 to run a media center , for music movies pics etc....thanks:eek::eek::eek::eek:

What model of Onkyo do you have ? it may have some useful features also. I know my 818 does.

May 6, 2012
England
Have you considered hooking your PC up to the TV and installing XBMC on that, it's a much better experience and of course you can still use it as a PC but from the comfort of your sofa. Anyway, to answer your question it sounds like all you need to do is share the media folders on your PC and then you can add then to XBMC and scan them into your library.

This is all built-in to xbmc and is pretty much it's foundations since day one, you don't need any addons for what you're asking. Even my xbox "how to" guides on my youtube channel are still relevant for what you need so you could even watch those. There is much more in-depth and up to date info on this website though.

acruns

Mar 11, 2013
XBMC & Apple TV is the ultimate combination for a home media center... You will want to go ahead and install fusion. This is the easiest way to install addons.
http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/fusion-easy-addon-installation-for-xbmc/

As far as which addons to install it depends what you want...

TV SHOWS & MOVIES:

1Ch**nel (bstrdsmkr repo)
Project Free TV (eldorado repo)
Tube Plus (anikuj repo)
TV Links (anikuj repo)
Ice Films (anorchintosh repo)
AwesomeDL (jas0npc repo)

LIVE TV
Filmon (Mikey1234 repo)
Na*i-X (in Programs menu)
Livestreams (require XML file)
Veetle (under Video --> Addons)

SPORTS
Spor**dev*l (Maxmusterman repo)
Flash Stream Sports (morstar repo)
Veetle
Na*i-X

MUSIC
Grooveshark
MTV Music Videos
Mikey's Karaoke
Radio

These are the addons which I would recommend for an XBMC install. There are hundreds of other amazing plugins which you can explore. All the above addons can all be found in fusion, you will find these addons and repositories in the Video section. If you use a Mac computer I would recommend checking out the XBMC HUB WIZARD which will be available for PC in the near future.
I would like to pick your brain about the first comment ATV2 + XBMC is the ultimate combination. I have a couple PC's sitting in a closet collecting dust that I could use for HTPC. I have actually installed W7 + XBMC on both of them in the last week to see if either of them perform better. But my concern is using my home wireless network, would they get the bandwidth they need over wireless or would it require CAT-5E and be worth the trouble and cost of running it through my walls. I am assuming you are running your ATV2 on wireless so I would be interested to find out if you are using wireless, and if you are, do you have any issues with streaming? Did you make any modifications to your router like QOS, DD-WRT, so on to get the streaming acceptable. For the price of the ATV2, I would not have a problem with purchasing a couple and using them instead of using the PC's with CAT-5E just to keep that constant droning of a power supply fan out of my bedroom. But if I am going to have to go with wired then I would make use of the two PC's and just purchase a larger NAS to share. I also have a NeoTV and Roku box, the Roku downstairs in the family room, and NeoTV in the master bedroom. I also setup an older N wireless/wired router as a bridge downstairs and actually use on of the wired ports for my Roku because I was having issues with Plex timing out trying to stream video downstairs. The main router is upstairs in my office and it is a newer ACN router.

Appreciate your thoughts and input.

Regards.