Need some help/advice with xbmc set up

ccmix

May 7, 2012
Hello again everyone,

I am trying to get the best set up possible with my htpc in my room. What I am trying to accomplish is the best "like cable" feel for the wife. I have my pc set up to boot directly into xbmc and I have 2 apps on my phone. One to wake up my PC and the other to control xbmc. My wife can not grasp it and will not yet let me cut off my cable. I was wondering if their is an actual remote control anyone would recommend to control xbmc, and also if their is any way to set up my add ons to automatically pull up the new shows we always watch. I use Ic*f*lms and 1Ch**nel mainly but am looking into all the other options. I am also going to look into a tv tuner card with a digital tuner. Last question is. Do I need to subscribe with payment to any sites to get the fastest and best quality streams with those two add ons. Thank you for your help in advance.

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
A lot of questions, so I will try my best. For starters, I was in the same boat 7 years ago and it took some time to figure it out in a way that would allow my wife to feel comfortable with it. That said, there is light at the end of e tunnel as we have been cable free for 5 years.

Remotes, there are MANY PC remotes you can go with. My recommendation though, get an AppleTV 2 paired with an account remote 3G remote. It is an investment, but it is a worth while one. You can EASILY turn an ATV2 into and XBMC machine. I have done the HTPC route, and there are many parts that can cause an inconsistent couch experience. You can even do an ATV1 loaded with Crystalbuntu for a great experience. I have gone from HTPC - Boxee Box - apple tv 1 - apple tv 2 - to hacked roku - and back to the ATV 1 and 2. These little machines are currently (in my opinion) the best, easiest, most wife friendly options out there.

Plugins - I use HULU by Bluecop and I pay for the Hulu plus account. This is a great option as there are a lot of episodes in the catalog and when other servers are having issues, like putlocker, HULU is still running smooth and in full 720p. I then use 1Ch**nels new beta build. You can find info on it in the 1Ch**nel thread. This beta build allows you to add shows to your library(as does the HULU addon). It enables you to load your favorite shows directly to your XBMC library. It is great, because if you use skins such as QUARTZ, your most recent episodes show up on tour home screen every morning. It is fantastic!

I would not pay for things like premium real debrit accounts, as I do not find a need for them. If you take the time to learn what links to play from, you will find everything you need. For me... In order of links used....

1) putlocker
2) shockshare
3) vidbux
4) vixden

Between these and Hulu, I have not had a need for a LONG TIME. my only entertainment bills are Internet @ $45 a month and Hulu+ @7.99 a month.

Hope I helped in any way.

ccmix

May 7, 2012
You deffinately helped. I will start looking into the ATV1 or 2 but then I will probably have a whole other bunch of questions lol. Thank you.

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
I love reading your replies to help everyone. I learn so much, even when I'm not the one that asks the questions. . Your time and patience is very much appreciated!!!! I LOVE XBMCHUB!!!!!! THANK YOU!!

ccmix

May 7, 2012
I love reading your replies to help everyone. I learn so much, even when I'm not the one that asks the questions. . Your time and patience is very much appreciated!!!! I LOVE XBMCHUB!!!!!! THANK YOU!!

I agree 100%

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Thanks all. Remember that every team member started where all of you did. At one point or another we were all NOOBS desperate to find information and people willing to take the time to point us in the right direction. I am so happy to share (that is one of the reasons why I created XBMCHUB after all) and know that as I help you... you will intern help the next person.

Again, thanks for the kind words... it makes the time I spend on this project feel more worth while!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Kodi Support 1
S Kodi Support 0
D Kodi Support 4