netflix download possible in Kodi?

thepixy

Jun 3, 2017
I probably have misplaced this question, because I still haven't learned to isolate where the download feature is coded. I currently have Kodi, along with Indigo, and Ex**us addons on a Windows box, and have been delighted to see that beyond just streaming provider content, I can choose to download. Well I've always been wanting to be able to download what I watch on Netflix, and a search here has shown me that I can get a Netflix add on for Kodi...

https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-addons/show/script.program.androidnetflix/

I do have a legit streaming account with Netflix, and already have at least 1/2 dozen ways to view, including an app built into my TV. So the only reason I'd bother setting up a Kodi Netflix add on to is to be able to download. But I don't really understand if the download capability I have when I use Ex**us is actually part of Kodi, and available to ALL add ons, or just the Ex**us add on. If its not part of Kodi itself, what would I need to download Netflix programs?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Addons get their streams from hosters such as Pri**wire, Putlocker, etc... Some of those hosters (not all) also provide a download capability. That download capability is sometimes included in an addon such as Ex**us, SA*TS and others. However, Netflix do not provide such capability so no addon will be able to download from Netflix.

You might be able to grab the video using something such as Twitch but that is not downloading, that is more recording what you are watching. I don't know what the quality would be like. I am also not sure if Twitch is available on machines other than the nVidia Shield.

NOTE: Almost all shows/movies on Netflix are also available on demand on addons such as Ex**us, SA*TS and others and would possibly be downloadable that way, through those addons.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
The title "Netflix Kodi Addon Download" is very misleading. That 'addon' is just a shortcut to the Android Netflix App, similar to having a Desktop shortcut on your PC which opens the Windows Netflix app. There is no actual Netflix addon for Kodi & probably never will be. Thus, unfortunately there is no way to download their 'official' content through Kodi. As RavRob says though, Ex**us/SA*TS etc would most likely have most of their stuff anyway :)

thepixy

Jun 3, 2017
The title "Netflix Kodi Addon Download" is very misleading. That 'addon' is just a shortcut to the Android Netflix App, similar to having a Desktop shortcut on your PC which opens the Windows Netflix app. There is no actual Netflix addon for Kodi & probably never will be. Thus, unfortunately there is no way to download their 'official' content through Kodi. As RavRob says though, Ex**us/SA*TS etc would most likely have most of their stuff anyway :)
Maybe this one looks promising...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Kodi-Better-Netflix-Support

But based on what I'm reading about Netflix's encrypted stream format, I doubt downloading would be possible, and the file would probably be useless anyway. :-(

thepixy

Jun 3, 2017
Addons get their streams from hosters such as Pri**wire, Putlocker, etc... Some of those hosters (not all) also provide a download capability. That download capability is sometimes included in an addon such as Ex**us, SA*TS and others. However, Netflix do not provide such capability so no addon will be able to download from Netflix.

You might be able to grab the video using something such as Twitch but that is not downloading, that is more recording what you are watching. I don't know what the quality would be like. I am also not sure if Twitch is available on machines other than the nVidia Shield.

NOTE: Almost all shows/movies on Netflix are also available on demand on addons such as Ex**us, SA*TS and others and would possibly be downloadable that way, through those addons.
Thanks. I had a feeling that would be the case. Since posting I noted that an "official" Netflix Kodi add on is in the works, but I doubt Netflix would ever go for a downlaod, and if they did it would likely be in an encrypted proprietary form anyway.

Yeah, I may have to consider something like "Snagit", which pro-ports to grab a full screen at full frame rate along with system audio, which as you said is just a raw recording, even on a 1920 x 1080 screen, and would then have to be compressed and re-encoded, as the raw recording is huge. Too much trouble. As as you point out, a lot of that content has already been processed and is available through Ex**us.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
But based on what I'm reading about Netflix's encrypted stream format, I doubt downloading would be possible, and the file would probably be useless anyway. :-(
There are ways to do it, as evidenced by the plethora of Netflix rips found all over the Internet and in other addons of Netflix cotent, but that is beyond the scope of Kodi, and really a fruitless effort for most when a DRM free rip of everything on Netflix can be found in other addons...