Netflix no longer working

peji911

Apr 28, 2014
I have a rooted FireTV with disabled updates.

About a week ago, Netflix stopped working. Regardless if wireless or hardwired, or title selected, netflix says, "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title"

On my pc, chromecast, phone, etc, no issues but on FireTV, no dice.

I have tried the following

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14486

Any suggestions?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Netflix has been horrible for many on aftv. I'm convinced the amazon rep that helped me had never used fire TV.
You could try this
1. Clear data 3 times for Netflix then uninstall/reinstall
If the problem persists or comes back do the same thing except this time boot to recovery and wipe dalvik cache and cache then reinstall Netflix.
Mine has been working for awhile but I never had any issues with Netflix on any other devices. Amazon points a finger at Netflix but I really don't think its on there end.

mattyk151

Aug 30, 2013
Tried that and the above comment.

If I turn AFTV updates back on, I know I'll lose root but will it also brick, or is it safe to do so?
You will most likely trigger the e fuse but even with updates enabled you will still most likely experience problems. I do with rooted and non rooted aftv's

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014

About a week ago, Netflix stopped working. Regardless if wireless or hardwired, or title selected, netflix says, "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title"

Any suggestions?
I had been getting the "purchase failure" message when choosing the WHITE Netflix icon which could never be resolved.

However, by going to Apps ---> Categories---> Entertainment, I could eventually scroll and find the RED Netflix icon that works normally and allows for sign-in.

However, in just setting up a new rooted Fire TV, the WHITE Netflix problem remains... while there no longer seems to be a RED Netflix icon available.

Has anyone managed to defeat this problem without upgrading the software and losing root?

j.bond

Nov 17, 2012
@peji911, My suggestion, Reboot your FTV, either unplug, or hold the OK button along with the play button for 7 sec, should do the trick, when it reboots, force stop Netflix and clear cache.
Try out Netflix, This works for YouTube as well.

Hope this helps.

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
@peji911, My suggestion, Reboot your FTV, either unplug, or hold the OK button along with the play button for 7 sec, should do the trick, when it reboots, force stop Netflix and clear cache.
Try out Netflix, This works for YouTube as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I don't think you understand the problem.

I am completely unable to even download the NETFLIX program and get a "PURCHASE FAILURE" message when choosing the WHITE icon that now seems to be the only one available.

Surely I am not the only rooted Fire TV owner experiencing this issue...

videosmarty

May 23, 2015

Any suggestions?
I had the same issue with Netflix, not to mention Hulu and Plex. I found a guide somewhere to clear data/cache of Amazon Video and it fixed the issue for all mention above.
Hope this helps.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks, but I don't think you understand the problem.

I am completely unable to even download the NETFLIX program and get a "PURCHASE FAILURE" message when choosing the WHITE icon that now seems to be the only one available.

Surely I am not the only rooted Fire TV owner experiencing this issue...
That's a new one to me. Netflix has always installed. It's had many bugs but those have gotten a lot better. What firmware are you running? Do you have CWM installed? If you're clinging to an older firmware that could be the issue though I doubt it since they haven't upgraded to a newer KK version...I'm sure you ruled out network error by now.

forty0z

Jun 2, 2013
I have the same problem. I have the latest pre-rooted rom installed on my fireTV. I just uninstalled netflix and use my smart tv to watch Netflix.

fairlaidy

May 9, 2012
i Had problems with netflix also it will not let me log in to the acc had to factory default ftv lost root but really all i care is for kodi.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I have the same problem. I have the latest pre-rooted rom installed on my fireTV. I just uninstalled netflix and use my smart tv to watch Netflix.
I just installed the latest fw a few days ago and Netflix wasn't affected on neither of my rooted aftvs...
That's very strange. I'd contact amazon. There's definetly nothing in the firmware that should cause that. Are you using US Netflix?
You might want to try this
1. Clear data 3 times on Netflix and do the same for amazon instant video
2. Uninstall Netflix
3. Unplug aftv and leave it unplugged 10 seconds
4. Boot to cwm and clear both dalvik and cache partition.
5. Reboot system and install Netflix.

Its a fix that's had mixed results in the past but its worth a shot.

***actually before going through all that...try just steps 1 & 2 then reinstall Netflix and see what happens. Sometimes I like to clear cache partition anyway just to get rid of little leftover bits.

ponghclub

Aug 3, 2014
If this is wrong thread i'm sorry but i have problem with my AFTV.... mine is not rooted it keek update and work perfect until the latest fw update.... the usb port not working I can not use mouse or key board anymore. Is there anything to fix this? any help i appreciated.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
If this is wrong thread i'm sorry but i have problem with my AFTV.... mine is not rooted it keek update and work perfect until the latest fw update.... the usb port not working I can not use mouse or key board anymore. Is there anything to fix this? any help i appreciated.
I haven't read about any problems like that. If you're not rooted I'd try a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it contact amazon. If they're aware of the issue they might have a fix, if not they might send you a new one.