Network Hard Drive

Rickt1962

Oct 30, 2013
I have a dumb question I have a belkin router that supports a Hard Drive which I can see from all my Computers. Do I need a router that is media based ? I just want my other XBMC devices to see it. Don't plan on streaming outside of my home.

Blazetamer

Mar 3, 2013
The Yellow Brick Road
I use that type of setup....just make sure the usb drive does not need more power than the router can supply...I recommend using a external USB hard drive that ALSO has its own power supply /adapter to avoid that issue. You should be good to go .Just add the hard drive path as a source for your movies/video and BOOM Bob's your uncle !

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
maybe not quite on topic but I have a western digital network drive where i store all my media, and it works great with xbmc.

Big advantage is that you dont have to have your PC/Laptop on to access it .

Rickt1962

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks guys !! I was getting confused reading all these option like SMB,UPnP,Airplay,Zeroconf and to top it off the new routers that can stream media from a Hard drive.

Yes Blazetamer its a external Hard drive with its own power supply

Blazetamer

Mar 3, 2013
The Yellow Brick Road
Good deal, plug it into that belkin and go into the usb storage setting "or something like that" and set it up ..remember the name and then in XBMC make that a source via the smb option....Should get you started :)

Rickt1962

Oct 30, 2013
Ohhh So it wont see it as a normal network drive , I have to use smb.. OK I will read up on SMB thank you for the direction :)