Network speed test MUCH slower than Ookla-app test

lylephoto

Mar 31, 2017
I'm running a Minix Neo U1 Android box, hardwired ethernet, paying for a 150 mbps internet service. When I do a network speed test via the Ookla app outside of Kodi, the speeds are consistent with the service I'm paying for (anywhere between 140 to 170 mbps download speed), but when I use the network speed test tool (large file size) in the Indigo add-on, I never get anything faster than about 25 mbps download. When I use the small file size option, the speeds are usually lower, more like about 14-15 mbps. Anyone know why there's such a difference?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Speed test should be taken with a BIG and I mean BIG grain of salt, mostly they should be used to verify you have or don't have a decent connection...

The results will always vary between test from different locations and different test file size... There is a plethora or variables involved, with some of the big ones being how fast the test server is able to serve up, the network hops between you and the test site, and last but far from last any trickery the ISP plays... ISPs are known to not throttle, give priority bandwidth and/or give 'boost' speeds to select certain popular speed test sites (top Google hits) as to reduce customer complaints when a customer does a Google search and runs a speed test... I had this discussion with an install tech when they installed my Cable line, he told me he was only able to use 'one' test site to show customers their new speed because that speed test site was given priority bandwidth and not throttled by the ISP so it would show the 'best case' speed test...

I can easily see the throttling kick in when I download a big torrent file, the first few 100MB spike in at tremendous speeds, then all the sudden the download is throttled by the ISP and it levels off for the rest of the download, never another spike above their throttle speed...

Worse companies like Netflix and Apple actually pay many ISPs for untrottled priority bandwidth so their services work better, essentially proving the point that ISPs tinker with this or that connection speed...

Last edited:

xbman

Developer
Feb 3, 2013
usa
I'm running a Minix Neo U1 Android box, hardwired ethernet, paying for a 150 mbps internet service. When I do a network speed test via the Ookla app outside of Kodi, the speeds are consistent with the service I'm paying for (anywhere between 140 to 170 mbps download speed), but when I use the network speed test tool (large file size) in the Indigo add-on, I never get anything faster than about 25 mbps download. When I use the small file size option, the speeds are usually lower, more like about 14-15 mbps. Anyone know why there's such a difference?
Ahh. One thing to consider.. is the server that your testing against. upload speed & distance between you.

* The Speedtest app (or Website) test the Closest server that's nearest to your location.
* The Indigo Speedtest are based on a few listed servers that are available...
.. and those servers upload speed are unknown.. and how far away from you are unknown.

So if the speedtest app (ookla) is showing fullspeed.. then you should be good to go.

But that is why there is a difference in speedTest more or less...

- Say I ran a speedtest server on dialup.. 56k.. anyone remember that? I do. It sux LOL!
... your speedtest wouldn't ever go past 5kb even if you had a 1000gb connection.
.. So the upload speed.. and the distance between you really really matters.