Never get real 5.1

aseiras

May 23, 2017
Hi, I am using Kodi, mainly with Ex**us. I have set up the pass thru and the 2.1 channels, but every movie / show I play always plays in plain stereo. They sound well, but not 5.1 or 7.1 . My receiver has lights that come on when the input is 5.1 or 7.1, but does not matter what I do with videos from Ex**us it is always plain stereo.

Am I doing something wrong? missing someting? or is it that the movies in Ex**us are all just plain 2 channel?

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
Hi, I am using Kodi, mainly with Ex**us. I have set up the pass thru and the 2.1 channels, but every movie / show I play always plays in plain stereo. They sound well, but not 5.1 or 7.1 . My receiver has lights that come on when the input is 5.1 or 7.1, but does not matter what I do with videos from Ex**us it is always plain stereo.

Am I doing something wrong? missing someting? or is it that the movies in Ex**us are all just plain 2 channel?
There are not alot of free streams with 5.1 sound. A real-debrid account is pretty cheap and there are lots of 5.1 sound streams. For movies there are some lists in Pho*nix that have 5.1 sound though.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Many 'bootleg' streams do not contain the unecoded 5.1 audio and if they do your devices (and the OS settings) have to support 5.1 passthrough audio as well as passthrough being enabled as well as having matching digital output to input of your surround sound system... Are you sure the device you are running Kodi on supports 5.1 passthrough and you have it hooked up properly? Plus some TVs won't passthrough 5.1 from input to output so you need to make sure the surround sound system is first in line or hooked up to a separate audio out...

aseiras

May 23, 2017
Many 'bootleg' streams do not contain the unecoded 5.1 audio and if they do your devices (and the OS settings) have to support 5.1 passthrough audio as well as passthrough being enabled as well as having matching digital output to input of your surround sound system... Are you sure the device you are running Kodi on supports 5.1 passthrough and you have it hooked up properly? Plus some TVs won't passthrough 5.1 from input to output so you need to make sure the surround sound system is first in line or hooked up to a separate audio out...
Thanks for the reply.
as said, I have tested this in multiple devices, my macbook, a windows pc, an android box and also a raspberry pi. Connections done via HDMI and also via optical directly to my receiver from the android box.
I have also played some ripped movies (blue discc and mkv) and those do play properly with 5.1 .

So I take it that the problem is with the sources in Ex**us.

aseiras

May 23, 2017
Thanks but I have no idea what a "real-debrid" account is. Where can I get info about it?
What is Pho*nix?

As you may have guessed, I am quite new to Kodi streaming, but I have used it since xbmc to play the movies I have on my hard drive, ripped from my own collection.

caleb2003

May 29, 2017
Thanks but I have no idea what a "real-debrid" account is. Where can I get info about it?
What is Pho*nix?

As you may have guessed, I am quite new to Kodi streaming, but I have used it since xbmc to play the movies I have on my hard drive, ripped from my own collection.
Been having a lot of buffering with Real-Debrid lately without much help from them, if you do get it make sure to try it for a shorter time first to see if it works well for you.

mariad

Mar 3, 2017
You people mean to say we can get a list from pheonix for the movies that play on 5.1 sound.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
5.1 Audio often comes in two different 'flavours', the first being AC3 5.1 and the second AAC encoded 5.1 and the important word there is "encoded". AAC is usually the audio format of choice for streaming since it can give you a much lower lossy audio size yet still retain 5.1 channels of audio, but at the price of needing to be decoded properly before it can be played back. By comparison, while AC3 5.1 is also a lossy form of compressed audio (but not so much as AAC can be) each channel is also discrete so an amp needs to do a lot less work to separate out the signals and assign them correctly.

There are very, very few amps out there that can decode AAC natively so it makes sense to to the grunt of the decoding in software somewhere else and then pass the clean 5.1 signal to the amp and that's where the Audio part of Kodi comes. Kodi needs to be set up to decode AAC 5.1 explictly by the user, if it isn't then it will take what it's given and send it out as is - or rather what you've told Kodi to default to do with it. To put it another way you set up Kodi to Passthrough an AC3 5.1 signal to an amp and it will just play it because that's what it expects but if you Passthrough an AAC 5.1 signal then it's up to you to tell Kodi how you want to the singal to be decoded which, if I remember correctly, defaults to silence.

This is why you often hear static or a loud hissing when you feed an amp a multi-channel audio stream instead as it's basically being sent audio in a format it can't handle resulting in a lot of white noise. I get a one second 'burp' of noise when I start playing an AC3 or AAC stream either through the amp or through the 2 channel TV speakers which at first I found annoying but now I find comes in handy for telling me when I have a multi-channel stream.

If you are using SPMC then I can tell you what my Audio Settings are for 5.1 AAC\AC3 playback but SPMC has a lot more control over audio than Kodi does so I don't know how relevant it would be. On a default clean just-installed Kodi 17.3 then all you have to do - once you've set the correct hardware output mode in Kodi and Android itself - is enable Passthrough for AC3 5.1 and 'Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding' for AAC 5.1 in the Audio settings and it all works.

IMPORTANT. If you use Android and change the main Android audio settings and\or some of the Kodi Audio settings then you will have to Reboot your machine after doing it otherwise Android can get confused and not output any audio at all for that session. It's a real PITA but everything needs to be flushed for some reason.

Last edited: