New 160hdd only shows as 40 on atv 1 can i use ssh to fix it

itjim

Sep 3, 2012
Hi I am sure this will have been asked many times before but hey this is the right place to ask it again
My problem is I have just replaced my atv1 hdd from a 40gb to a 160gb and all is fine but I must have missed a step as the atv still thinks it has a 40gb hdd drive in it.
I don’t want to start the process all over again do any of you xbmc people know if it is possible to use ssh to some how get the apple tv to agree that it does have a 160gb drive in it.
all things iphone or ipad related from simple jailbreak and instaliing xbmc to reballing chips i dont have any problem with but this one has stumped me hence this is my first post on here
Thanks in advance
itjim

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Okay, I am spit balling as I have never had this problem...

What OS are you running? You may have limitations in the default OS as it is not designed to have more than installed. This is not likely, but possible.

Of course you have attempted a reboot, I am sure? if not, do so.

How are you knowing that the ATV1 is reading it as a limited drive?

YOu positive you did not reinstall the old drive on accident? Of, course I know you know... just covering bases.

itjim

Sep 3, 2012
Hi and thanks for the reply
How i wish i had fitted the old drive back in by mistake but alas no the new drive is a sata with an adapter.
The mistake i made was not to delete then resize partition 4 on the new drive and i can go through the whole thing again but on my old g4 mini it takes about 4 hours to copy the original drive.
i have restored rebooted and also patchsticked it to install xbmc.
The apple tv is showing 32.37gb free space (media partition) in settings.
I just live in hope of some whizz having a line or two of code i can fix the issue with ssh.
Or its back to the steam powered mac and learn not to make the same mistake again
Thanks again
jim

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Got it... sadly I am not that guy :(

I would encourage you to consider crystalbuntu as an alternative to haveing to get in and do a lot of fussing. I am fairly certain that the CRYSTALBUNTU installation sees whatever drive is connected and sees its full available space, regardless of partitions. This could be wrong, but if you dont find help here... try stmplabs... the source site for cyrstalbuntu.

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah unfortunately you won't be able to repartition with the drive still in the atv, you'll have to pop it out. You can try something like gparted, might be faster than doing it from your regular os

itjim

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for the replies its looking like i am back to the mac i will have to get some coal in and get it fired up.
wish i had not become such a windows pleb may have to join those in the know and invest in a propper mac.
bring back the days of my zx81 with the overheating ram pack
thanks again all

itjim

Sep 3, 2012
solved
Thanks for all the help
Ipartition is the way forward it only took a few seconds to enlarge the media partition
This then gave me an idea to speed up the whole process of putting a larger drive in the atv 1 using the simple copy method
It takes a few hours because it copies block by block and as 35ish gb is on the media partition it is copying nothing for most of the time.
So I deleted all the media on the atv as its all on my pc in itunes anyway
Then used ipartition to shrink the media partition to almost nothing on the original drive
Did the simple copy
To copy
sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=appletv.dmg bs=1m
then to write to new drive
sudo dd if=appletv.dmg of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m
(remembering to unmount disk after each step)
then once I had rewritten it to the new drive just used ipartition to enlarge the media partition
All done and dusted back together and working in under an hour

jim