New Amazon Stick?

jwmghf

Apr 7, 2016
Has there been any news on whether or not the new version of the stick will still support Kodi?

cynycl

Oct 30, 2015
For what it's worth.....saw this article today. Grains of salt recommended.

Cord Cutters News has received reports from sources close to the new Fire TV OS that say the new OS will block 3rd party apps, including Kodi.

Our sources have told us that this new OS update coming out this fall will block all 3rd party apps not in the Fire TV App Store with the main focus of blocking Kodi and the 3rd party add-ons that pirate content. We cannot confirm this, but we do believe the information is creditable.

cynycl

Oct 30, 2015
And now they are reporting Amazon denies this rumour, so there you go.

For $40.00 you can't go wrong

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
For what it's worth.....saw this article today. Grains of salt recommended.

Cord Cutters News has received reports from sources close to the new Fire TV OS that say the new OS will block 3rd party apps, including Kodi.

Our sources have told us that this new OS update coming out this fall will block all 3rd party apps not in the Fire TV App Store with the main focus of blocking Kodi and the 3rd party add-ons that pirate content. We cannot confirm this, but we do believe the information is creditable.
if they block kodi they will lose millions of sales and they know it, i don't think they are that daft !

jwmghf

Apr 7, 2016
I just want to buy a few old sticks before the new one comes out, just to play it safe. Thanks for the input!!!

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
I just want to buy a few old sticks before the new one comes out, just to play it safe. Thanks for the input!!!
I'm thinking if this is true, the old sticks would receive the new OS too, so that wouldn't do you much good. Of course, none of this is confirmed so do as you please and hope for the best results.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I'm not saying Amazon will make it harder to side load apps, but it would not surprise me if they did...

Their price structure on all their 'Fire' products is nil to a loss, as they base hardware prices on a loss leader profile, hoping on recouping more profits with follow up purchases from their app store and/or their video, music, or book offerings after the sale... It would not surprise me that if they start to see after sale profits from their 'Fire TV' lineup continue to drop because of apps like KODI that they would take counter measures to make it harder to side load down the road...

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
I'm not saying Amazon will make it harder to side load apps, but it would not surprise me if they did...

Their price structure on all their 'Fire' products is nil to a loss, as they base hardware prices on a loss leader profile, hoping on recouping more profits with follow up purchases from their app store and/or their video, music, or book offerings after the sale... It would not surprise me that if they start to see after sale profits from their 'Fire TV' lineup continue to drop because of apps like KODI that they would take counter measures to make it harder to side load down the road...
i don't know where you get "nil to a loss" from, there's no way the COGS is £35

and if you just look at one outlet such as ebay there's a "fully loaded firetv stick " on offer every minute of every day...and thats just the UK....you saying amazon don't benefit from that !
yes they may try to make it harder to sideload kodi but i doubt they would endeavor to make it impossible

amazon would just lose the sale completely...those that choose alternate viewing methods will just go elsewhere...there are many cheaper alternatives to the FTV stick / Kodi anyway

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
i don't know where you get "nil to a loss" from, there's no way the COGS is £35
How much profit do you think Amazon makes on each Fire stick at the $39 price tag? As an electronics design engineer myself, that knows the raw cost of components and contract manufacturing overseas, I say nil to none... The reason that many consumers like the Fire products is dollar for dollar based on hardware specs and quality you can't realistically get a Chinese generic knock off equal quality for much less if anything less...

If you doubt that Amazon's 'Fire' products price structure is not structured based on project to future sales in their ecosystem as I suggest you are lying to yourself...

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
How much profit do you think Amazon makes on each Fire stick at the $39 price tag? As an electronics design engineer myself, that knows the raw cost of components and contract manufacturing overseas, I say nil to none... The reason that many consumers like the Fire products is dollar for dollar based on hardware specs and quality you can't realistically get a Chinese generic knock off equal quality for much less if anything less...

If you doubt that Amazon's 'Fire' products price structure is not structured based on project to future sales in their ecosystem as I suggest you are lying to yourself...
I reckon about $30

I can easily get an android device for less than £20 which out performs the firestick

you dont need to be an electronics design engineer to know the cost of raw materials and contract manufacturing costs

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I reckon about $30

I can easily get an android device for less than £20 which out performs the firestick

you dont need to be an electronics design engineer to know the cost of raw materials and contract manufacturing costs
Please feel free to post the specific cheap hardware. Users are always asking about this. And since of us enjoy testing different hardware.