New nvidia sheild tv

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
Alright guys. The new nvidia sheild tv will be released on the 16th and is available for pre-order. It's $199 for the 16gb version and appears to come with a remote and a game controller but I'm not sure what else is different compared to the previous version other than the voice search feature? I have this in my amazon cart ready to pre-order but I want to be sure that it's worth the money and that nothing cheaper can really compare. I can afford it especially with the gift card I got from work for christmas but I hate spending money and regretting ithe soon after.

Even if it's identical spec wise to the previous version it's a pretty good deal just because of the included remote along with the game controller right?

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
There are those who will tell you it's a great piece of kit, and since I don't own one I can't agree or disagree with them. But. Running SPMC I tend to follow what's being posted on their github 'Issues and Questions' list and there do seem to be a lot of system-level problems on there specific to the Shield. Now this may be down to SPMC itself since it is being developed specifically with the Shield in mind so is probably poking into corners of the hardware that Kodi doesn't touch. I get the impression (and it is only an impression) that if you use the Nvidia Shield out of the box you'll have a nice piece of kit but if you want to do anything a bit more.....customised.....with it then you may need to put the work in.

Anyway, have a read of the some of the latest posts via Koying's site and see what you think.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
I don't plan to do any extra stuff with it. I'll use right out of the box with the exception of installing my pia vpn on it. I'll Google koyings and see what you are talking about.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Are you a gamer? That is the number one selling point of the sheild. I myself only occasionally play games my Xiaomi Mi box sits sits right next to my Xbox. If you are buying it specially for streaming. Than the shield isn't the best value the Mi box has the same Android tv operating system a voice remote and will receive an update to run google home same as the shield. If you want the box with the best specs that will play decent not Xbox level games spend the 200 bucks. If you want a box that will do light gaming and play any stream you throw at it the 70 dollar Mi box is a great value.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
Basically it's the same exact box as the original only a little smaller and missing microsd and Micro USB ports. Those options don't bother me to much and although I'm no gamer I like to have the ability to play games with my kids from time to time. I decided to pull the trigger and pre-order the new one and will have it the day it's released. I'll put a mi box in my bedroom next. Thanks for the info

Trentcolep

Aug 20, 2016
Nvidia

I bought an nvidia about 3 months ago and it's great. It come with krypton already on it, it's fast.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Kodi Support 1
R Random Topics 0
R Random Topics 25